Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I hope you find these useful, they took my almost 10 minutes of valuable revision time to type up! :p:

Good luck everyone whos got the exam tomorrow, and if a mods around, it may be useful to sticky this thread.

................................ ................................ ................................ ........

JUNE 2005 (something along these lines)

EITHER
    1. Explore lexical and grammatical features of one or more non-standard varieties of English language in the British Isles, and explain why they are used.

OR

2. Language change in the last 50 years...

I've just come out of this exam, so if anyone knows the exact wording of the questions then let me know. This was the general direction though.

................................ ................................ ................................ ........

JANUARY 2004

EITHER
    1. Examine the main linguistic characteristics of one or more non-standard varieties of contemporary British English and explore the attitudes shown towards them.

OR

2. Concern for equality in terms of gender, ethnicity, disability and other areas has influenced changes in British English over the last 50 years. Explore some of the changes and discuss the attitudes shown towards them.

JUNE 2003

EITHER
    1. In the British Isles, the high status of Received Pronunciation is now being challenged by a number of non-standard accents. Examine the main characteristics of some of these accents and discuss the attitudes which are shown towards them.

OR

2. Identify a range of new words and meaning changes in British English which have come from youth culture over the last 50 years. Explain how these new forms and meanings occur and discuss different attitudes which are shown towards them.

JANUARY 2003

EITHER
    1. What kinds of language varieties can an individual use? What factors might affect their choice of which variety to use?

OR

2. Jean Atchison says that language change is natural and inevitable. Examine how and why language change occurs, saying how far you agree with her view.

JANUARY 2002

EITHER
    Explain how a persons age gives rise to non-standard varieties of English. Examine the circumstances in which use of these varieties would be most appropriate.

OR

2. Explian how some aspects of social change during the last fifty years have influenced the development of the English language. Give examples from your own reasearch and experience

ReputationRep:
    Thanks sooo much! I'll be doing the one on change tomorrow, but all you can really say is that it's to do with social upheaval

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lil Lee Lee)
    Thanks sooo much! I'll be doing the one on change tomorrow, but all you can really say is that it's to do with social upheaval
    Be careful, as you can see above, Language change does not feature every year in the exam. It will be a gamble.

ReputationRep:
    stuck =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    stuck =)
    :top:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beekeeper_)
    :top:
    What do you expect me to do? Read through every one of your posts and wait till you request a sticky thread?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beekeeper_)
    Be careful, as you can see above, Language change does not feature every year in the exam. It will be a gamble.
    What do you mean? It's in all the question bs!

ReputationRep:
    Well there u go.

What you guys think of it? I done Q1 (obviously!) and picked Q3 aswell. Was confident about question three, and i was abit stuck on question 1 but it was good overall.

Im glad the text from different times wasn't tooo old- i cant stand anything pre-standardisation!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mR_CaRL)
    Well there u go.

What you guys think of it? I done Q1 (obviously!) and picked Q3 aswell. Was confident about question three, and i was abit stuck on question 1 but it was good overall.

Im glad the text from different times wasn't tooo old- i cant stand anything pre-standardisation!
    I did question 2... It was a shame they restricted it to grammar and lexis though, i would have loved to get some more estuary in there and some phonological variation...

The first question was excellent, it was only two paragraphs, so you could easily analyse the whole lot.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.