Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Even though we're doin our AS's next year, i'm hoping to do GCSE psychology and Sociology (AQA)-the only problem is it has to be self taught-do you think its possible to achieve using just the subject content in the specifications?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, easily. Our chemistry teacher didn't teach us any of the seperate science stuff apart from mole calculations, so we were pretty much left to learn it ourselves, and I think I did fine on today's sep. sci. Chemistry paper. Thank you CGP!

ReputationRep:
    ok not being funny, but why????? you could AS's in them if you want to, and as you wanna go to oxbridge they are not really important especially as your taking 9 gcses and gnvq already givinig you 13grades as it is. If you are serious about med at oxbrigde then next yr you need to properly focus on your AS's and not spend extra time doing unesseccary gcses seriously. because oxbrigde look at your ums scores for you AS results gettin an A is not just good enough you need to get UMS score of 280+ out of 300. seriously focus on your AS's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Divine89)
    Even though we're doin our AS's next year, i'm hoping to do GCSE psychology and Sociology (AQA)-the only problem is it has to be self taught-do you think its possible to achieve using just the subject content in the specifications?
    Of course, i want to do GCSE German next year, teach myself the syllabus, maybe with some help of a tutor once a week, dont know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mtbab)
    ok not being funny, but why????? you could AS's in them if you want to, and as you wanna go to oxbridge they are not really important especially as your taking 9 gcses and gnvq already givinig you 13grades as it is. If you are serious about med at oxbrigde then next yr you need to properly focus on your AS's and not spend extra time doing unesseccary gcses seriously. because oxbrigde look at your ums scores for you AS results gettin an A is not just good enough you need to get UMS score of 280+ out of 300. seriously focus on your AS's
    no no no-extra gcse's the better (if u get A8's in em) coz that takes pressure of the BMAT. My college next year doesnt offer them in AS's plus im willing to put the work in-but is the syllabus enough?

ReputationRep:
    Syllabusses are enough yeah... My science teachers were quite lazy when it came to teaching us the syllabus and we still had to learn one or two sections for chem and 1 section for bio, so I took it upon myself to follow the specification at AQA.com and I got revision in for what was needed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Corleone)
    Syllabusses are enough yeah... My science teachers were quite lazy when it came to teaching us the syllabus and we still had to learn one or two sections for chem and 1 section for bio, so I took it upon myself to follow the specification at AQA.com and I got revision in for what was needed.
    you should complain about the quality of their teaching, the people in my physics class didnt hesitate to complain. Seriously though, they have a duty to teach the whole syllabus.

ReputationRep:
    no no no-extra gcse's the better (if u get A8's in em) coz that takes pressure of the BMAT. My college next year doesnt offer them in AS's plus im willing to put the work in-but is the syllabus enough?
    yeh oxford work that way cambridge dont. also if you were to say out of you r 13grades get 11* and 2A then youd have a 85%A*, but if you then did these other two and not being able to focus on them as much as youd wnant to because your doing AS's, and get A's in them your percentage goes down to 73% thats a lot worse, and you dont really need the 15gcses do ya

ReputationRep:
    I taught myself most of the GCSE double science Chemistry syllabus since my teacher was absent from school for ages and, prior to that, hadn't taught us much. However, I did have some help from other Chemistry teachers at school with extra lessons and, to be fair, my Chemistry teacher did teach me some things (though, comparatively speaking, not a lot). I don't know about the subject you're planning on taking but, sure, it definitely sounds feasible.

The AQA double science specification (it's on their web site) was brilliant help. Hopefully, the specifications/syllabi for other AQA subjects are just as comprehensive.

I'd ask a sociology/psychology teacher at your school/college about it. They might be able to give you some extra guidance.

I don't really understand how two more GCSEs are going to help take the pressure off the BMAT but, what I do know, is that good A level grades are, arguably, more important than good GCSE grades. Obviously, most candidates only have their GCSEs as qualifications at the time of application but I can't see one or two more grades - especially in subjects that universities seem to look down upon at A level - is going to make much difference.

I only did 9.5 GCSEs since that was all my school offered but I intend on focusing my energy next year on my AS levels without a second thought.

ReputationRep:
    what is the point of taking them?GCSEs are easy anyway and when it comes to uni applying they dont mean much. If u want to show ur hard work and motivationto your admission officers in unis, then dont drop any subjects for A2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IZZY!)
    what is the point of taking them?GCSEs are easy anyway and when it comes to uni applying they dont mean much. If u want to show ur hard work and motivationto your admission officers in unis, then dont drop any subjects for A2.
    % of A* at GCSE is proportional to Rank in BMAT as % of applicants

When applying to oxbridge the more the A* at gcse the less youll need in the BMAT to secure an interview (you virtually cant revise for the bmat)

"For example, if half an applicants GCSE grades were A* they needed to be in the top 27% of applicants with respect to BMAT performance in order to be shortlisted.

If a candidate had no A* grades at GCSE they needed to be in the top 7% of applicants with respect to BMAT performance in order to be shortlisted"

Thats why gcse's matter--the question is is it possible using the syllabus only to achieve A* in psychology and Sociology.?

ReputationRep:
    Are you not confident that you'll get enough A-stars this year to put yourself in that upper 27%?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure it wont be too diffiuclt to take thme on your own. I am taking As/A2 physics on my own because I was short of the entry requirememtns. My one suggestion would be to not get a revision guide - but an actual GCSE text book for your specification (you can get these on amzon or order them from ottakars etc.) In my experiance I've found taht revision guides arnt taht good at teaching you - they assume that you already know the things they are telling you - so a text book would be better.

good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Markus505)
    you should complain about the quality of their teaching, the people in my physics class didnt hesitate to complain. Seriously though, they have a duty to teach the whole syllabus.
    Ahh, I feel we got conned... The last three lessons we were given were "doss" and "saying goodbye" lessons... One person did complain and said "We haven't finished the syllabus yet, and we have a leaver's party to say our goodbyes." That didn't work cos she just got her bum-bum chewed by the teacher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Corleone)
    Ahh, I feel we got conned... The last three lessons we were given were "doss" and "saying goodbye" lessons... One person did complain and said "We haven't finished the syllabus yet, and we have a leaver's party to say our goodbyes." That didn't work cos she just got her bum-bum chewed by the teacher.
    hmmm sucks, our school didnt let us have a single doss lesson until the very last half day. Even on shirt signing day it was lessons as normal.

ReputationRep:
    this is a bit of an old thread to bump up, sorry!

no no no-extra gcse's the better (if u get A8's in em) coz that takes pressure of the BMAT.
    but be very careful if this is just a ploy for Oxford.

the impression i've got before now is that they may well consider the 'sitting' of the GCSEs to exclude early/late/resists etc. rendering any extra GCSEs taken at 6th form rather useless.. to stop people trying to play the system in this way given the people who designed & oversee admissions are fairly smart cookies themselves..

& anyway, not getting an A* would then disadvantage you if they were included = quite a gamble! :eek:

just wiat & see how you've done, then focus on 6th form, as other people have said..

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i think its possible. I have just completed GCSE Psychology and it was simple enough i guess. I have probually cursed me getting a good result now for saying that :P:

ReputationRep:
    Personally I wouldn't bother. As Elles said, they might not count any GCSEs that were taken in the sxith form, so you'd be doing extra work and perhaps damaging your A-level grades for no reason, and if they do include them, it puts pressure on you to get A*s in them. Although GCSEs are a lot easier than A-levels, it would be quite different to study completely new subjects without a teacher. Also, not meaning to put a damper on things, but what if you don't get into Oxford? Then it will have been completely pointless.

ReputationRep:
    if i get fewer a* than a's i will do some as i really wanna go for oxbridge, and the average oxbridge student has about a 3:2 ratio of a*'s to a's

ReputationRep:
    if i get fewer a* than a's i will do some as i really wanna go for oxbridge, and the average oxbridge student has about a 3:2 ratio of a*'s to a's
    I wouldn't bother - as said by several people, they're also concerned about how many sittings you did your GCSEs in.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.