Turn on thread page Beta

what A levels will you be doing now that GCSE's are over? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sapphire_angels)
    lol i guess youu really really really want to do Astrophysics huh :p:
    Hell yes

ReputationRep:
    Ah yes... almost forgot. I'm also doing General Studies. It's compulsory. Hmm. Most people reckon it's a waste of time anyway...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by E_J_C_2000)
    No, I didn't think it was going to be a "doss". I didn't do as well on the coursework as I could have mainly because I didn't really have the energy alongside science c/w. Anyway our performance and our teacher were so shockingly bad we've all failed anyway. She didn't predict ANYONE an A* because she knew she was too crap'a teacher to get anyone to that level. Sorry if I sound bitter but she totally ignored our group and the person who couldn't be bothered to learn her lines wasn't punished or motivated by the teacher at all. Whenever the other two of us went to talk to the teacher about our situation she was too busy helping her "teacher's pet" in another group. God I hate her so much, she's such a ****. Aaaaah the anger release feels good lol.
    We have had bad teachers etc. as well. Today we had a waterfight in my friend's garden and I completely destroyed half my drama notes (thought I better keep some of my written stuff) with a hose. It felt goood. lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by veryrandom)
    Ah yes... almost forgot. I'm also doing General Studies. It's compulsory. Hmm. Most people reckon it's a waste of time anyway...
    Someone answer me this. Why do so many school have General studies as a compulosry AS level, when we could be doing something so much more rewarding in its place?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Biology Chemistry, Maths, and Computing.

ReputationRep:
    At my school, we are allowed to choose 4 subjects to study at AS Level, each of which occupies 4 one hour sessions per week. We also have to take an AS Level qualification in General Studies. I found it very difficult to choose my AS Levels because I love all my subjects (is that sad?!), but I have decided on the following, subject to my GCSEs on August 25th:

English (A combined Language and Literature course;one grade is awarded)
    ICT (This is an ''Advanced GCE'', which is worth 2 A-Levels so takes 2x time)
    Religious Studies

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I'm taking French, German, History, Geography & Maths (Pure) but I may drop one of those, depending on how it goes in the first few weeks. I thought it would be easier to drop a subject than pick one up.

I'm staying on for sixth form at my school.

Fortunately, there's no General Studies for me. I don't think my school even offers it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, French and Geography....

..... roll on Medicine at uni hehe!

ReputationRep:
    maths, further maths, physics, economics (and GS).

ReputationRep:
    Thinking about Maths (stats), History, Government and Politics and Economics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Markus505)
    Mine are in my signature, BUT i'd like to stress that i might swap biology for physics. Fun fun fun physics.
    I just want to tell you, it's not such a good idea to do physics unless you do a-level maths.. because i've found physics without maths doesn't get you very far. JMO.

ReputationRep:
    I am undecided... I will definetly take Chemistry, I.C.T and Psychology (if there is space/I get the required grades.) However I am torn apart between General Biology and Human Biology... I really want to be some sort of doctor (GP, consultant, surgeon) not sure yet but I have set my sights on that... But... I like the idea of microbiology and forensic science, they're just so appealing as I love to use and apply scientific methods... Anyway I'll prob choose Human Biology, as I find the study of the human body (how it works and anatomy) really interesting and fairly easy... I'll prob drop psychology as opposed to I.C.T as I feel I.C.T is a great qualification to fall back on if I fail in my quest for a career in science... Also I love I.C.T (making webpages with HTML, basic java programming, some minor gfX etc etc)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Markus505)
    And physics would get you into an Astrophysics degree bet you wanted to know that huh
    this is a prime example. You probably couldn't do astrophysics without maths.

ReputationRep:
    maths chemistry physics english lit

ReputationRep:
    History, French, Govt & Politics and English Language/Literature.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Maths, Human Biology, Business Studies and Psychology. I'm staying on at my current school as it has a 6th form, and am thinking about doing an Accouting degree at uni.

ReputationRep:
    Mine are in my sig, although i may take History instead of ICT, but ICT would probably be better in the long run.

ReputationRep:
    ^ I would do History personally...ICT courses are much more common, doing History will make you stand out when applying for uni (if you choose to) as ICT is much more common, and also, I think its a waste as there are many courses outside of school than can get you the same qualification. Just my personal opinion..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xlouisedoll)
    ^ I would do History personally...ICT courses are much more common, doing History will make you stand out when applying for uni (if you choose to) as ICT is much more common, and also, I think its a waste as there are many courses outside of school than can get you the same qualification. Just my personal opinion..
    Yeah, I think you could be right. History A-level appeals to me much more than GCSE, as you learn stuff from the 16 and 17th century, which appeals to me.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Critical Thinking (compulsory). However, I'm considering taking French instead of Physics - is this wise?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.