The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
im takin maths, futher maths, biology, chemistry and physics!
Good thinking, i was thinking of taking 4/5 full A levels, but then i thort u dont really need to, cos instead of getting AAA or AAAA u might get ABBCC or sommit. i dont want that happening - i might just drop one, and take 3 up - but in an ideal world and if im doing well at the time i think i might take all 4 up.

What is the deal with general studies, i think they should replace it with critical thinking. is it just general knowledge stuffed into an exam. why take it if it doesnt count for anything!!
sapphire_angels
lol i guess youu really really really want to do Astrophysics huh :p:

Doesn't everyone? as u can probably see from my signature i'm doing physics, chemistry, biology, french, religious studies and maths.....i figured that way i can do whatever i want...be a vet, lawyer, forensic scientist, astrophysicist etc etc!
Well. I want to do French, Maths, Geography and PE.

However, problems with the options blocks means that im gonna have to do freanch after school hours or if not enough people want to do it and it's not 'cost-effective' for the school then im going to have to swap PE for biolodgy or psychology.
Reply 64
Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Electronics.
Reply 65
Chemistry Maths English German...I was going to do Art but decided against it...too much work i thought after speaking to a few people who have already done it/doing it atm..
sapphire_angels
i'm doing maths, chem. bio and physics... many people have said i'm crazy but hey, gives me more options in medical occupations :smile:

:ditto:
cosmopolitan

i've got it all worked out, so therfore its definately gonna go wrong!!!!

murphy's law :wink: :p: xoxo
I'm gonna take on - History, English Lit, Sociology and Chemistry or if I cant do one of those subjects I'm gonna take Classical Civilisation instead :smile: xoxo
Reply 69
I wanna do Maths,Physics and Chemistry!!!I am not that clever but I'll just give it a try lol Any recommendation for SELF TAUGHT AS PHYSICS,MATHS AND CHMISTRY BOOKS?

charikaar
Gothic pixie
Doesn't everyone? as u can probably see from my signature i'm doing physics, chemistry, biology, french, religious studies and maths.....i figured that way i can do whatever i want...be a vet, lawyer, forensic scientist, astrophysicist etc etc!

Blimey! You'll certainly be busy :eek:

Michael
Reply 71
Milli
ah well, unless you want to go into acting or theatre work then dont drop drama..other than that, academic studies are more important. It what the universities look for

Universities don't actually look just for good grades in academic subjects. They're as much interested in arts as well as the academic side. It all just depends on what you need for sure for what course you're doing.

I'm taking chemistry, biology, maths, art. I'm staying on the same school for sixth form for another dos years.
Reply 72
stratomaster
I just want to tell you, it's not such a good idea to do physics unless you do a-level maths.. because i've found physics without maths doesn't get you very far. JMO.

My school offers "maths for scientists" classes. I don't know much about them but, if you are planning on taking physics without maths, it might be worth investigating whether your school or college can provide you with some extra help if and when it's necessary.
Reply 73
Don Corleone
I am undecided... I will definetly take Chemistry, I.C.T and Psychology (if there is space/I get the required grades.) However I am torn apart between General Biology and Human Biology... I really want to be some sort of doctor (GP, consultant, surgeon) not sure yet but I have set my sights on that... But... I like the idea of microbiology and forensic science, they're just so appealing as I love to use and apply scientific methods... Anyway I'll prob choose Human Biology, as I find the study of the human body (how it works and anatomy) really interesting and fairly easy... I'll prob drop psychology as opposed to I.C.T as I feel I.C.T is a great qualification to fall back on if I fail in my quest for a career in science... Also I love I.C.T (making webpages with HTML, basic java programming, some minor gfX etc etc)

From my school's sixth form prospectus:
"Traditionally, Biology is regarded as a better framework for further study but the content of both courses [Biology/Human Biology] is very similar. Human Biology is often favoured by students studying PE [at my school]."

ICT is on LSE's hit list of subjects that they don't generally like. I mean, you can't do medicine at LSE so it doesn't make much difference but I think their attitude - of "looking down" at ICT - might be shared with a few other major universities and, since medicine is so competitive, it might be worth considering taking something else.

Do you have a web site at the moment?
Reply 74
RudyKatoch
I was thinking of choosing:

English Lit/Lang (btw is anyone else doing this? cos only a few of us are doing it in my school)
Economics
French
History
(Maths.....)

Apologies about all of the separate posts! I am starting to think I should have read through the posts and then replied.

Anyway, quite a few of my friends are taking combined English in September. I think it's one of the first years it's being offered at my school. Judging my the number of people I know who are planning to do it, it looks like it's had quite a healthy uptake.
Reply 75
For medicine, is it better to do a range of arts and science subjects or all sciences? I know that Oxbridge prefer all sciences.
Ahh, I've changed my damned mined. :biggrin: I'm gonna choose: Biology, Chemistry, History and Spanish... I've heard that top universities really like humanity subjects and modern languages.
Reply 77
I'm hoping to do biology, chemistry, physics, mathematics and futher mathematics but I need to go for a short interview to confirm my place on the 25th August (as if i haven't got enough to worry about around then).
Reply 78
edwardmonk89
I'm hoping to do biology, chemistry, physics, mathematics and futher mathematics but I need to go for a short interview to confirm my place on the 25th August (as if i haven't got enough to worry about around then).

Wow, same as me, except I have to do Critical Thinking as well. Leicestershire - me too! Which school are you applying to?
Reply 79
Well I'm taking....

History
Communication Studies
Psycology
Art AVCE

...if i dont do any of those due to bad grades then i think my back up is Phsyics...!!!! :biggrin:

btw how do u get the signature thingy after each post :confused:

Latest