Turn on thread page Beta

Summer time! (For people doing maths/maths related degrees) watch

ReputationRep:
    Apologies to anyone who hasn't yet - don't mean to rub it in! But, to anyone who's finished their maths exams (as I have) - YEY!!!
    The question now is...
    Are you going to go until your course starts in September without doing any maths? For any of us who actually enjoy :eek: maths out there, are you going to have a maths-free three months? Any suggestions on how to keep a vague interest without being so sad as to actually do papers or anything over the summer?
    And does anyone know whether uni's send you any work before your course starts just to get you back in the swing of things?

ReputationRep:
    Is Computing a maths related degree? I'm gonna do some maths over summer anyway. I only did C1-C4 and S1-S2. I wanna learn all the maths in the other modules. Probably not all over summer, but at some time :p:

Oh yeah, my course starts in October, not September, too.

ReputationRep:
    I'll do maths. Certainly not past papers though :eek: . I've got some holiday work from uni to be getting on with and I want to read a few mathematical books (of the popular variety, not text books ). You should read stuff like "Music of the Primes" and "Fermat's Last Theorem". And I suppose I'd better read something more educational to prepare me for the horrors of uni :eek: .

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I probably should do the same, read some maths books and I might have a look at the material in the modules I didn't do. I think Durham give you a work booklet to do, possibly after exam results? I'm hopefully going to Durham, but to do Nat Sci, am considering changing to straight maths after my first year.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be doing some maths over the summer. I have to go back to my mindless job after my study leave ends on July 1st, so I need something to keep my brain from turning into something resembling a vegetable.

I've been recommended some analysis books so I will probably start trying to learn some elementary analysis. I certainly don't think i'll work so much as to start doing uni exam past papers though (and doing a level past papers would be pointless) :rolleyes:

Hopefully I should thus be able to hit the ground running at university, though we have a test at the end of the first week i think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaz031)
    I'll be doing some maths over the summer. I have to go back to my mindless job after my study leave ends on July 1st, so I need something to keep my brain from turning into something resembling a vegetable.

I've been recommended some analysis books so I will probably start trying to learn some elementary analysis. I certainly don't think i'll work so much as to start doing uni exam past papers though (and doing a level past papers would be pointless) :rolleyes:

Hopefully I should thus be able to hit the ground running at university, though we have a test at the end of the first week i think.

Yeah I'm going to start looking at analysis in a bit more depth in september. I'm taking July off though, then going away during August, but after that I should be thirsty for more maths. Haven't quite finished exams yet though, STEP papers still to bash.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'm going to read a bit and also look at some of the stuff from A2 Further Maths, because I only took AS Further and I don't want to be the class dunce.

Martin

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna do a bit of fun maths hopefully, not boring repetetive stuff like a-level but more interesting things. And also might read a few books, and check out if there is any summer reading (probably not)

Im doing maths and physics next year hopefully

by the way, if you like fermats last theorum type books, an even better one is "the man who loved only numbers", it's one of the only books Ive actually enjoyed reading in my life.

ReputationRep:
    im probs gonna go over stuff dat i did this yr, probably da modules dat im gonna resit
    probs do sum question from books etc...

ReputationRep:
    Gonna look over m4 and m5 and fp1. That's about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spenceman_)
    Yeah I'm going to start looking at analysis in a bit more depth in september. I'm taking July off though, then going away during August, but after that I should be thirsty for more maths. Haven't quite finished exams yet though, STEP papers still to bash.
    i'm just gonna relaz my ass off most of the summer:cool: - work towards september maybe

we should all be resting after the A2's!

Phil23

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking a year out next year before doing a maths degree, so I guess I should really do some work to at least remember what I know, if not to learn new stuff as well. I might get hold of the M4-M6 textbooks and work through those.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil23)
    i'm just gonna relaz my ass off most of the summer:cool: - work towards september maybe

we should all be resting after the A2's!

Phil23
    Agreeeeeeeeeeeed lol :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Interesting topic! I've been thinking about this too because i'l be continuing maths to degree level and hopefully be studying it at King's.

My concern is the that i'l have only P1-3 knowledge going into Uni level type work, anyone can recommend an efficient way to atleast allow myself to warm up before going into Uni and embarrasing myself infront of Further maths students !!!

ReputationRep:
    All maths courses can be started with only A Level knowledge but if you want to give yourself a headstart then I'd look at some pure further maths modules, as this will introduce loads of new things. Even if you don't fully understand them, at least they will be familar to you when you do them at uni. Don't worry about it too much, there will be many others on your course who havent done further maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1w)
    by the way, if you like fermats last theorum type books, an even better one is "the man who loved only numbers", it's one of the only books Ive actually enjoyed reading in my life.
    I agree. It's an amazing book; I ended up reading it through out the entire night, completely lost track of time.

Also, since you enjoyed that book, I recommend "The Magical Maze" and "Makers of Mathematics". They're prity good too.

For the summer... I'm thinking of reading into Complex Analysis, and probably touch on the axiomatic approach (as they say :rolleyes: ) of algebra.

ReputationRep:
    I'll do a bit of reading. Mainly the suggested material from ICL (assuming I get into ICL )

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to read some books of my reading list and maybe try and teach myself some stuff from further maths so I'm not too far behind those who have it.

ReputationRep:
    imagine WANTING to do maths in the summer! eek.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lesser weevil)
    imagine WANTING to do maths in the summer! eek.
    I'm sure you'll read some English text over the summer

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 4, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.