Turn on thread page Beta

Summer time! (For people doing maths/maths related degrees) watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LHMarsh10)
    Apologies to anyone who hasn't yet - don't mean to rub it in! But, to anyone who's finished their maths exams (as I have) - YEY!!!
    The question now is...
    Are you going to go until your course starts in September without doing any maths? For any of us who actually enjoy :eek: maths out there, are you going to have a maths-free three months? Any suggestions on how to keep a vague interest without being so sad as to actually do papers or anything over the summer? And does anyone know whether uni's send you any work before your course starts just to get you back in the swing of things?
    maths exams are over. but i got 3 others still next week i dont gonna have a maths free few months, i've gotten a barrage of questions off LMH. some of which i already done as part of my revision, the rest of which i'm gonna have to do over summer. except for july. i get a whole month of relative rest involving Laguna Seca for the first half of july, and then d of e, camping for the rest of it. start work at beginning of august and my relax time then will be doing the maths LMH gave me and reading various books, not necessarily just maths - there are more than just maths books in this world...

ReputationRep:
    Well, if you want a cool maths site I discovered www.musicoftheprimes.com the other day, which I thought was quite funky.

Some unis send you work for the summer- for example I know that Imperial send out their prospective first years two months worth of work that they want them to do. I think Oxbridge like preparation too. I'm not sure where else.

ReputationRep:
    Gaz031, which modules did you learn over last summer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnC)
    Gaz031, which modules did you learn over last summer?
    M2, P2 and P3.
    I finally took the P2 exam last on the Monday that has just passed

ReputationRep:
    I'm reading Godel Escher Bach at the moment - quality book if you're off to uni to do maths. I'm not that far in but it gives some good introduction to set theory and formal systems which get studied at uni. It looks to get quite heavy later on but it's started off being one of the best books I've read. It's not boring either since it has dialogues between Achilles and a Tortoise which are quite fun, as well as some early focus at least on paradox and contradiction which I find interesting.

What other books are good for uni?

Also, I think that anyone who wants to do maths 'for fun' over summer, you can get some qs for uni off the cambridge website but i could be wrong - my friend's using them and I think that's where she got them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Master Gee)
    What other books are good for uni?
    It would be quite handy to get your hands "A concise introduction to Pure mathematics" by Martin Liebeck. This is actually one of the courses taught at Imperial, known as "M1F - Foundations of Analysis".

(Original post by naystar)
    Some unis send you work for the summer- for example I know that Imperial send out their prospective first years two months worth of work that they want them to do.
    Is this for a mathematics degree? If so, then it's not true, merely just one months work. They give a dozen or so questions to be answered, and give students a test on the third day (usually wednesday) of freshers week.

But when students start their work at ICL, they get given coursework from left, right and centre -- beginning from the very first day (which all count towards your degree might I add)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Master Gee)
    I'm reading Godel Escher Bach at the moment - quality book if you're off to uni to do maths. I'm not that far in but it gives some good introduction to set theory and formal systems which get studied at uni. It looks to get quite heavy later on but it's started off being one of the best books I've read. It's not boring either since it has dialogues between Achilles and a Tortoise which are quite fun, as well as some early focus at least on paradox and contradiction which I find interesting..
    Hey, SOLID BOOK! I couldn't hack the second half though, too much AI and computer science for me...but it's a wicked book and I second the recommendation for anyone studying maths, computer science or logic.

ReputationRep:
    is there any volunteer/random work that anyone can think of that i can do over the summer, i want to see what type of career i can go into after taking a maths degree, i cant think of anything, i just need to get a feel of it, if only following round someone for a week, oh and NO ACCOUNTING, i want something with interesting math, rather that averages, and addition, lol. its also something i can put on my ps to say that ive thought about life after uni .
    The Divine Proportion is quite a nice book to read, i also have A Prisoners Dilemma, not got round to reading it yet though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt.forster)
    is there any volunteer/random work that anyone can think of that i can do over the summer, i want to see what type of career i can go into after taking a maths degree, i cant think of anything, i just need to get a feel of it, if only following round someone for a week, oh and NO ACCOUNTING, i want something with interesting math, rather that averages, and addition, lol. its also something i can put on my ps to say that ive thought about life after uni .
    The Divine Proportion is quite a nice book to read, i also have A Prisoners Dilemma, not got round to reading it yet though.
    I know quite a few people that applied for maths and none of them mentioned what they want to do after on their PS. To be honest the range of careers is so diverse that you cannot even consider all of them. Theres obvious ones like accountancy, IB, research but you could easily go into Management Consultancy, Law or marketing with a maths degree. Seriously people applying for Maths do not need to be stressing about career choices for another a couple of years at least.

ReputationRep:
    damn still have p4, p6 and m4 grrr not to mention a physics synoptic, and chem synoptic :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Galois)
    Is this for a mathematics degree? If so, then it's not true, merely just one months work. They give a dozen or so questions to be answered, and give students a test on the third day (usually wednesday) of freshers week.

But when students start their work at ICL, they get given coursework from left, right and centre -- beginning from the very first day (which all count towards your degree might I add)
    Seriously :eek: ??? 'Coz I'm quite scared now! Is this true of a number of unis or just ICL???

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to teach myself Tensor Analysis and General Relativity this summer. It's one of my third year modules so I'll give myself a bit of a head start.

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna do a bit of FP1 and M1 over the summer I think and also M2 if I've got enough time. Oxford Maths summer school in July too, which should be fun. Might also see if I can do a few AEA/STEP I type questions when I finish C4 to see how far I get with them. Also got a few books I want to read, for example 'Imagining Numbers' and maybe have a look at some philosophy books e.g. Meditations by Descartes to see if I really do wanna do Maths and Philosophy at University.

Oh and of course the new Harry Potter book :p:

ReputationRep:
    I've bought myself a mechanics 3, differential equations, and fp1-2 to do over the summer to keep me busy. I am sad :P. But I enjoy it . If I finish all the pure and mechanics and am bored, I might be desperate enough to do some...stats :O.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scotty123)
    I've bought myself a mechanics 3, differential equations, and fp1-2 to do over the summer to keep me busy. I am sad :P. But I enjoy it . If I finish all the pure and mechanics and am bored, I might be desperate enough to do some...stats :O.
    why are you goign to study A-level modules if you are going to do maths in unithis september, lol....why dont you get some uni books and study them?

pk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scotty123)
    but how do u teach urself??? im takin a M2 book and C3/C4 home from college, but will teaching myself be effiecient. im takin it next year but i thought id try sum in the holidays

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darth_vader05)
    but how do u teach urself??? im takin a M2 book and C3/C4 home from college, but will teaching myself be effiecient. im takin it next year but i thought id try sum in the holidays
    Personally I just work through the book from start to finish, reading everything and doing all the questions. If I encounter a question i'm stuck on then I try for a while then note down it's number and come back to it later. If I still can't do it I post it here.

ReputationRep:
    I just read the book, the practiced examples help me alot then I take it from there. If it seems impossible for me to get an answer and I just can't get it then I post on here .

And in response to Phil's post, because these A-level modules will still help me and has the basics of some uni stuff in such as matrices and in the higher pure modules, multi-variable calculus and stuff concerning groups rings and fields. It all helps . Plus I do the mechanics ones because I enjoy it.

In the unfortunate circumstance that I find I haven't got into uni this year too, I will be well into further maths so will take the exams too .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaz031)
    Personally I just work through the book from start to finish, reading everything and doing all the questions. If I encounter a question i'm stuck on then I try for a while then note down it's number and come back to it later. If I still can't do it I post it here.
    i tried teaching myself b4 but i got kinda bored so i stopped. i think ill try it agian these summer holidays.
    how hard is M2? ( for some one who will scrape a pass !)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LHMarsh10)
    Seriously :eek: ??? 'Coz I'm quite scared now! Is this true of a number of unis or just ICL???
    No idea. But its good, it keeps you on your toes right up until your exams :p:

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.