Turn on thread page Beta

Summer time! (For people doing maths/maths related degrees) watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LHMarsh10)
    Apologies to anyone who hasn't yet - don't mean to rub it in! But, to anyone who's finished their maths exams (as I have) - YEY!!!
    The question now is...
    Are you going to go until your course starts in September without doing any maths? For any of us who actually enjoy :eek: maths out there, are you going to have a maths-free three months? Any suggestions on how to keep a vague interest without being so sad as to actually do papers or anything over the summer?
    And does anyone know whether uni's send you any work before your course starts just to get you back in the swing of things?
    I know exactly what you mean i am starting an Engineering in October hopefully at Oxford so i think i might get sent some summer work, but untill then i still have my maths work from this year and i lot of old question which where used in my lessons which are actually harder than the A-level questions, particularly my further maths work.

I will also be doing ots of logic problems like suduko and others just to keep the brain active cos after three months off going into a hectic oxford term will be very hard. So i would advice anything really that keeps the Brain ticking over.

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna do M1 (already started this and am really enjoying it) and P3 (I have an old P3 textbook, though on the new Core module course,) and am going to read more of my "What is Mathematics?" book.

ReputationRep:
    well i wont be doin much maths if i can help it, im goin 2 newquay 4 a week, earnin a loadsa money ova the summer at the pub, and then goin 4 about 4 nites to ibiza then a few days rest the doin the 3 peaks (ben nevis, scarfell pike and snowdon in 24 hrs), and then goin 2 UNI!

ReputationRep:
    i need a break from maths too. did lots of p5 and M3 over the past few weeks. but intersted in doing AEA papers over teh summer and possibly STEP. also i got to catch up the boring S2......... i missed due to my exam leave. Add to it my stats teacher is a complete ******. grrrrrrrrrrrrr. intersted in Decision mathemathics. anyone comment of D1? also willl start reading the last fermat theorm, a mate gave on me b'day but waiting to finish harry potter 6 first!

ReputationRep:
    I have finished Pure 1,2 and 3 - Mechanics 1 and 2 - Stats 1

Based on these foundations, what books that relate to mathematics could a person like me enjoy over the summer as well as giving my brain a bit of work out?

Thank you !

ReputationRep:
    Im reading up on the M5 anf M6 modules which I didnt get the chance to previously. I am also readin up a bit on stats and also, my friend at cambridge lent me some of his stuff whcih I would be reading through starting this summer... Im really going to miss maths... Im doing Computer Science (my back up is a joint honours w/ maths though) and I would be keeping up my maths during university through interest. I really liek doing further reading and I would recomend those who are doing maths that its not weird to be doing some maths reading over the summer... Maths is a subject its good to keep up, and keep your brain in maths gear for the following year.

Good luck next year to those going off to do maths/maths related subjects

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LT0918)
    I have finished Pure 1,2 and 3 - Mechanics 1 and 2 - Stats 1

Based on these foundations, what books that relate to mathematics could a person like me enjoy over the summer as well as giving my brain a bit of work out?

Thank you !
    It's not necessarily related to any A-level modules, but Fermat's Last Theorem (Simon Singh) is a good read. I'm going to start Music of the Primes (Du Sautoy) now that I've finished my exams - it looks pretty good from what I've seen so far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chubby)
    intersted in Decision mathemathics. anyone comment of D1?
    Perhaps the bets bit about D1 is that it's an easy mark-grabber if you're willing to put the work in. I did about five past papers all within a week of my exam, and think I could well have nailed the paper.

You've got to learn methods. Obviously you won't get 5 marks for sorting 5-6 numbers into ascending order by just stating the answer. But once you remember all the terminology, and the exact procedure you have to perform, it's easy. Some of D1 is quite interesting, but most isn't.

Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.