The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

vas876
No i said "Its kinda like with stupidity, it it was not stupid it (stupidity) would not exist."

I sound ignorant because i think that religion is illogical and therefore not necessary?

Why?

OK you've asked me why to very obvious questions twice now, if you don't understand i'm going to let you find out in the future in a real life situation because that's just laughable
vas876
No you clown, if stupid things did not exist then stupidity would not exist.

If its not logical its not necessary EXACTLY, Religion is not logical therefore it is NO Necessary.

I know it's frustrating and everything, but just... chill. Doesn't make the position look good if you're making personal insults.
simcard2007
OK you've asked me why to very obvious questions twice now, if you don't understand i'm going to let you find out in the future in a real life situation because that's just laughable

Are you an idiot, because this makes you sound like one.

I stated my opinion, and i wont be dealing with illogical things in future, unless you are referring to other idealistic theists, in that case i have no choice.
CondensedMilk
I know it's frustrating and everything, but just... chill. Doesn't make the position look good if you're making personal insults.

Religion has been making personal insults for centuries.

Blasphemy, devil, only one real god if you believe in another you are Satan.

Ect.
vas876
Religion has been making personal insults for centuries.

Blasphemy, devil, only one real god if you believe in another you are Satan.

Ect.

If religion jumped over a cliff would you do that too? I think you're spending too much time with this guy, he's a bad influence.
CondensedMilk
If religion jumped over a cliff would you do that too? I think you're spending too much time with this guy, he's a bad influence.

TOUCHE!
vas876
Are you an idiot, because this makes you sound like one.

I stated my opinion, and i wont be dealing with illogical things in future, unless you are referring to other idealistic theists, in that case i have no choice.

The funny thing is you don't understand how wrong you are portraying your message, and then of course you're getting fustrated because you dont understand how I am critisising your flawed understanding, and that in turn is making you call me an idiot because of your actual lack of understanding.

You say religion is illogical, you won't be dealing with it, however you are in no position to state that as a fact, that's your opinion lol
Not this crap again.

For the record I'm not an atheist cos I do not understand what is it that I need not "believe" in. It doesn't make any sense to me.
CityOfMyHeart
I think that if God did exist, we wouldn't understand him at all and he'd be completely different to what we think at the moment - we're only human. We run by human emotions. We think with human logic. There's so much out there that we don't, and will never, understand.

I'm happy to accept that we're not going to get any answers about how we're here - whether there's a God or not. I'm happy not having a "purpose" in life and being the product of chance and an amazing evolutionary story. I'm happy knowing that I'm alive due to chance, not because someone designed me and put me here for a purpose. And I'm content with the fact that when I die, I'll be nothing. That's nature. That's life.

A lot of people have an issue with those kind of ideas. They have to explain everything. They have to have a purpose as otherwise life would be meaningless. But what if it is meaningless?

Quoted for truth! I'm interested in religion itself (I'm rather curious about it, due to the significant effects it has on people, and theorising how a god or other deific being might physically exist is fun) but not a worshipper, and I'd describe myself as atheist because I don't think I could worship or hold faith in a higher power. There's quite a pleasant oasis in the midst of this whole debate, and it's the oasis of realising, based on this little thing called history, that whether there's a God doesn't actually matter in practice, so who cares?

If you want to look to a higher power and take inner strength and comfort from that, do it. I admire your faith. If you want to stick to the principles of science and the things that can be proven, do it. Science is the way forward. Who's to say we need to go around calling each other names?
Reply 309
To be religious is to except that their is one way of life, one set of beliefs and truths to live by.

Religion therefore means to be close minded and disregard others views and beliefs as they are different to yours. Theres an amusing story which goes:

A religious man dies and goes to heaven apon which he is greated by god who gives him the tour of heaven. He points out all the different religious group; muslims, hindus, jews ect. They then come across a big circular wall. The man asks "whose in there?" to which god replies "oh that's the catholics, they think there the only ones up here"

That could be true for many different religions not just catholisism.

But personally I believe that heaven, god, and anything religious is a nice soft blanket which explains all of lifes mysteries and comforts those in need. However people cling to this blanket more and more as they grow older and will even kill and die for it.

This is why I am an athiest.
Son of Makuta
Quoted for truth! I'm interested in religion itself (I'm rather curious about it, due to the significant effects it has on people, and theorising how a god or other deific being might physically exist is fun) but not a worshipper, and I'd describe myself as atheist because I don't think I could worship or hold faith in a higher power. There's quite a pleasant oasis in the midst of this whole debate, and it's the oasis of realising, based on this little thing called history, that whether there's a God doesn't actually matter in practice, so who cares?

If you want to look to a higher power and take inner strength and comfort from that, do it. I admire your faith. If you want to stick to the principles of science and the things that can be proven, do it. Science is the way forward. Who's to say we need to go around calling each other names?

Exactly :smile:
I'm not, i'm keeping my options open until i'm on my deathbed :wink: .

Latest

Trending

Trending