Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    To keep all our debates balanced and fair, the counter thread to this: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1087465

Tell me why you're not an atheist? (or at the very least agnostic)

Discuss?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Dior-perfume)
    use the search function, there was a thread like this not so long ago
    and also it is 'theist'
    No, actually the question is right.
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't make any sense.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by adamrules247)
    Doesn't make any sense.
    Why are you not an atheist.

The question is logically wrong as its two negatives.

But it has similar meaning to "tell me why you're a theist?" but its not the same, "why are you not an atheist or agnostic?"

If follows from the other thread.

ReputationRep:
    I just want to say that the following arguments are not valid reasons:

1. "Because the (insert chosen holy book here) says so!"
    2. "Because my parents do."
    3. "Because there is no other explanation for the universe."

I suppose those reasons are good enough for you personally to believe in god, but they are not sufficient to prove the existence of god.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)
    No, actually the question is right.
    :rolleyes:

instead of asking why you're not an atheist how about asking why you are a theist?:p:

ReputationRep:
    Definite belief either way is absurd, and the pursuit of looking for something that can never be known in this life is even more absurd. The end

ReputationRep:
    im not an atheist because i feel god in my heart. i just know he's there, i cant explain it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dior-perfume)
    instead of asking why you're not an atheist how about asking why you are a theist?:p:

please shutup

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by butthead7)
    im not an atheist because i feel god in my heart. i just know he's there, i cant explain it.
    I don't feel god in my heart. What makes you right and me wrong?

Edit: and if you can't explain it your argument has no validity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by butthead7)
    That's cholesterol, buddy, not God.

ReputationRep:
    Someone help me define what I am =\

I don't believe in God, but I think no-one knows for sure. No-one can say God exists/doesn't exist 100% - that's bull. But for the time being, I think God doesn't exist, though if someone were to prove me wrong, then I'd accept it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CityOfMyHeart)

I don't believe in God, but I think no-one knows for sure. No-one can say God exists/doesn't exist 100% - that's bull. But for the time being, I think God doesn't exist, though if someone were to prove me wrong, then I'd accept it.
    Agnostic.

ReputationRep:
    I'm agnostic because I am open to the fact that whilst one answer may be more probable it is impossible to ever know who is right and who is wrong.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by G50)
    That's cholesterol, buddy, not God.
    or atherosclerosis, he really should see a doctor.

but god may tell him.

ReputationRep:
    i was just posing as a theist. im an atheist really guys.

ReputationRep:
    I've met god.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by fran.ha)
    I'm agnostic because I am open to the fact that whilst one answer may be more probable it is impossible to ever know who is right and who is wrong.
    Its impossible to know right now!

They day we understand the origin of the singularity, the question will be able to be answered.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by CityOfMyHeart)

What proof would you accept?

ReputationRep:
    Well, I am an atheist, but for the sake of argument, I will pretend that I'm a theist. Here we go:

Everything in the universe that has a beginning has a cause. The rocks came from the planets, the planets came from the stars, and so on. However, having an infinite regression of causes is ultimately impossible. We know from the big bang theory that time itself had a beginning. Therefore, there must be an uncaused cause. The universe cannot be this uncaused cause, because we know that the universe is finite by its very nature. I could conclude that 'God' is the uncaused cause - but that would only be a hypothesis. The extra piece of evidence would be encompassed in the laws of physics. Just by looking at something like the size of the proton, or the speed of the electron, or the rate of expansion of the universe, or the force of gravity etc. we can conclude that the universe has a set of laws which appear to be finely tuned for life. Scientists almost unanimously agree that if any of these laws were to be altered ever so slightly (and we are talking about a fraction of 1%) the universe would almost certainly cease to exist.

Therefore, this fine tuning of the most precise degree seem to indicate that the universe was created intentionally - with purpose.

This is why I am a deist - I have yet to see evidence to substantiate belief in a personal God.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.