Turn on thread page Beta

Need physics for an applied maths route? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey, sorry to start two threads in about the space of ten seconds.

I didn't take physics at A-Level but did take Maths and Further Maths, always with the long distance aim of becoming a maths teacher in the future. However, I really took to the mechanics modules in my course (AQA M1 and M2) and am now thinking I would like to take as many mechanics type modules at uni (I'm doing a maths degree at Durham) and maybe go into something in that field after uni. I know I can't be an engineer or whatever without engineering or physics but I'd really like to possibly get into something in that field. (Like designing rollercoasters or launching rocket ships lol :rolleyes: ) Anyone know what sort of restrictions I will face without A-Level physics? Are there any ways I should/could try and top up my knowledge? I don't really like stats and I love pure maths so I think when it comes to options at uni I will want to take as many mechs and pure modules as possible. Just hope my lack of physics doesn't restrict that?
    Apologies for the long post, and thanks for any help/advice.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm tricky. best advice is just to take as much mechanics/pure based modules as you can and ignore stats (that's what I plan on doing I hate stats). Was going to suggest that you could take physics modules if you have some module choices, but the only one Durham will let you do is Astronomy for All and that's no good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Posie)
    Hmm tricky. best advice is just to take as much mechanics/pure based modules as you can and ignore stats (that's what I plan on doing I hate stats). Was going to suggest that you could take physics modules if you have some module choices, but the only one Durham will let you do is Astronomy for All and that's no good.
    Ah right, thanks. How come Durham won't let you take Physics modules? (You at Durham?).
    Astronomy for All does sound cool though! Even if not particularly useful! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Durham will only let you take Physics modules (apart from that one) if you have A Level Physics and at least maths to AS. I'm not at Durham yet ( hopefully in September/October). I only know all this stuff cos I've applied for Nat Sci and I've been looking at what modules I'd like to do. i do A Level physics and Astronomy is really good (probably the easiest topic), plus Durham's Physics department is really good for Astronomy research.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Posie)
    Durham will only let you take Physics modules (apart from that one) if you have A Level Physics and at least maths to AS. I'm not at Durham yet ( hopefully in September/October). I only know all this stuff cos I've applied for Nat Sci and I've been looking at what modules I'd like to do. i do A Level physics and Astronomy is really good (probably the easiest topic), plus Durham's Physics department is really good for Astronomy research.
    Ah right, thanks. Bugger :mad: . Knew I should have taken physics :rolleyes: . Still, thanks for your help. And I'll maybe do that astronomy module, sounds cool. Maybe we'll meet at Durham in Oct!

Anyone else any ideas at how I can make up for this foolish decision/what my other options are?

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 23, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  2. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  3. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.