Turn on thread page Beta

Read this and i can gurantee that you'll at least consider christianity being true watch

ReputationRep:
    My family are ALL atheists.
    therefore what i say is not biased in anyway, i have not been born a christian, i have not even been christened (by the way if im not christened will i go to hell?)

Just think of this, on your death bed, your old,wrinkly family around you, you last seconds in this dimension, suddenly your heart pumps , pumps and pumps, not because you're having a heart attack, because you're ******* nervous, yeh? all your life you've been an athiest, or at least simply denied God exists. Well, now here's what happens, you either end up in eternal darkness if you were right, in which case, what the hell - you won't know.

If you're wrong? eternity, no sleep, no drink.
    Imagine, a dark room, 'where am i?' , must be a coma.
    you feel heat, slowly but surely, it's getting hotter, you move away from the heat, you bump into a wall, you are trapped.
    The heat is getting greater and greater, now your feet are burning , skin sizzling you start screaming, but your throat is so dry you can't.
    yiu hear screaming, by the billions, you are deafened, you see billions of strangers, char-grilled in the pit of fire, you too will join them. for eternity.

OR

eternal happiness. Heaven.

your choice people

ReputationRep:
    Are you threatening me? =/
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    So.... I should believe in god because of fear? But what about other religions that say the same things? That's a (rubbish) argument for theism, but not for any particular religion.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, i'm weighing up the options for everyone.

Non-believer:right:you're fine
    wrong: uh oh

Christian:wrong:who knows?
    right: heaven

ReputationRep:
    that is in no way an argument for christianity being true.

ReputationRep:
    ah, Pascal's wager, but the thing is, there are more religions than just christianity, so you'd have to pick one and could still end up in hell. Religion in itself is illogical (though there are other forms of knowledge, such as faith, that are valid personally, though "I just have faith that it's true" is not a valid argument when trying to convince somebody!)

ReputationRep:
    It could have made me realise a plethora of religions were true.
    I'm an atheist by reasoning.

ReputationRep:
    :rofl:

That's me won over.

ReputationRep:
    Biggest pile of ******** i've seen this month.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    this is basically
    "it makes sense to believe in God - because if He doesn't exist then you wouldn't know any difference and if he does, you#'ll go to heaven instead of hell. logical really" but then you can't force yourself to believe in something.. so it's not really a choice. Ok you can go to church every week and pray and live the Christian life but if you don't actually believe in God then it's wont make any difference.

ReputationRep:
    Ignoring the many and rather conspicuous holes in your arguement, surely the omniscient christian god (if one did actually exist) would be fooled by a belief based on fear. If the only reason you 'believe' in god is because of the possibility of there being a hell, then no god would ever accept you as a true believer. Read 'The God Delusion' by Richard Dawkins - it adresses this and many other arguements for the existance of god and disproves them all resoundingly. Read that, then post again...

ReputationRep:
    That's nothing to do with Christianity though. That's just saying we should believe in a higher power which we happen to call 'God'. You remind me of people in Philosophy of Religion classes who don't get that Anselm isn't trying to prove Christianty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gladiatorx)
    My family are ALL atheists.
    therefore what i say is not biased in anyway, i have not been born a christian, i have not even been christened (by the way if im not christened will i go to hell?)

Just think of this, on your death bed, your old,wrinkly family around you, you last seconds in this dimension, suddenly your heart pumps , pumps and pumps, not because you're having a heart attack, because you're ******* nervous, yeh? all your life you've been an athiest, or at least simply denied God exists. Well, now here's what happens, you either end up in eternal darkness if you were right, in which case, what the hell - you won't know.

If you're wrong? eternity, no sleep, no drink.
    Imagine, a dark room, 'where am i?' , must be a coma.
    you feel heat, slowly but surely, it's getting hotter, you move away from the heat, you bump into a wall, you are trapped.
    The heat is getting greater and greater, now your feet are burning , skin sizzling you start screaming, but your throat is so dry you can't.
    yiu hear screaming, by the billions, you are deafened, you see billions of strangers, char-grilled in the pit of fire, you too will join them. for eternity.

OR

eternal happiness. Heaven.

your choice people
    You stupid little peon. Why would I choose to believe in God just as an insurance? :wtf: If you do believe in God, you should follow his teachings because you believe them to be good and because you truly want to - not as a means to get into heaven and away from hell.

:wtf:

Consider my ass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayneD89)
    So.... I should believe in god because of fear? But what about other religions that say the same things? That's a (rubbish) argument for theism, but not for any particular religion.
    It's basically Pascal's Wager, isn't it?

As for fear, I'm never quite sure if fearing God is the done thing in the modern church. Certainly used to work though.

Yeah but just think, the atoms that make up your right now will one day be in a star and other intelligent beings will look at it and wonder how it got there and we'll have been part of that.

This is what keeps me going.

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations. You've just uncovered why religion is MAN MADE. Because man is scared and needed a perfect solution to an uncomfortable part of life. Only man could've invented the idea of "paradise." :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norfolkadam)
    Yeah but just think, the atoms that make up your right now will one day be in a star and other intelligent beings will look at it and wonder how it got there and we'll have been part of that.

This is what keeps me going.
    Another equally awe-inspiring idea is to think that the atoms that make up my body were all created in the heart of a star billions of years ago... we are all literally made of stardust. I love that idea more than the idea that I could have been put here by an anonymous, ambigiuous being.

(Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    That's nothing to do with Christianity though. That's just saying we should believe in a higher power which we happen to call 'God'. You remind me of people in Philosophy of Religion classes who don't get that Anselm isn't trying to prove Christianty.
    Anselm was cool alright. Anybody who can say "god exists because god exists" and have it analyzed 800 years later is cool :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    That will not happen.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.