The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Im currently in A2 AQA Geography A Level.
I find the course really interesting especially as you do a mix of human and physical. The AQA exams are a bit messed up though as for the past few years my school and others keep having to get scripts back/remarked etccc, and the examioners seem to make a lot of mistakes. This may be changing now though.
The actual course isn't that hard, and there isn't much to learn, and dependent on what you've been taught in the past, I found you;ve done the majority of it already and the human side is common sensy. :smile:
Any questions just ask.
I'm also doiung A2 Geography.
Its pretty basic tbh. Especially on the humnan geography side of it.
As long as you work hard and really use your AQA text book you will be fine.
Quite a lot of people at my school do well in it with dare i say , not that muchg effort compared to other A levels (still hard work just not in comparision i don't think)

As for the Exams, my school predicts the questions quite well just depends on your teachers really.
They always liek to throw in a question where you apply your knowledge, so it may not have been described in the text book but you have to think.
Such as in my AS geography exam i was asked... How do potholes form? Which was not mentioned in the text book once. Then you'd have to think where they are ie upper course, and whats it like up there ie turbulent.
Exam teqnique is very very important in geography get lots of practice :smile:
Reply 3
After doing Geography at Secondary school for 6 years in my final year I dropped out of doing A2 as I fell out of love with the subject.

It was partly down to a change of teacher but all the time id id it I found it interesting and relevant.
It's half human, half physical...
You need to learn basic stuff about volcanos, landforms related, rock types, landscapes, hazards, flooding, earthquakes, rivers, weather, glacial landscapes, tropical rainforests, and soil and relate to them to examples. This is most difficult where it involves remembering the names of iclandic geysers and Norwegian fjords.
You will also have to remember models compiled by economists, population predictors, models of development etc. You'll study migration, the womans role, globalisation, economy, how humans deal with hazards, how humans alter the landscape and use it's resources etc. It's quite easy really.
Reply 5
Hey
I'm going A2 geography (AQA) at the mo! i loved geography in year 11 it was my favourite subject, but now i can safely say i hate it!
I found AS really boring, the topics were dull and it didn't seem to move on from GCSE alot apart from getting alot harder. I did well in my AS exam and had to carry it on and hasn't really picked up alot this year either. Doing natural hazards at the mo and is extremely technical. I prefer human geo and find the physical topics really hard!

Sorry if this has put you off, this is just my opinion and as other people have said its entirly your choice and depends on how hard you work!
Reply 6
It is very, very easy but very, very, very long. Takes up way too much time doing all the hwk set for it! But the exams are really easy and the UMS is very generous, e.g to get an A in last years exam you needed like 43% raw marks..
It's pretty difficult imo, especially the amount of hwk you get compared to my other subjects.

Latest

Trending

Trending