Turn on thread page Beta

Proud to be Australian. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Well well well. After being here for what must be pushing two weeks, it is clear to me that I'm very lucky to have been born and raised in Australia. The only real drawbacks I can see relates to the slightly less recognised institutions we have that deal with education. Other than that, this country seems near on perfect when compared with what I've read so far. Lovely hot summers where 45C isn't too uncommon, and winters that can still hit -7to9C in winter. One or two bad beaches to steer clear of, beautiful and scenic bushland. Is there anything else I'm missing? I did wish to move to the UK a few years ago for the benefit of the universities available, but what is it like to live there? Do you ever feel over crowded? Do you have surfing on your beaches? etc etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Is there anything else I'm missing?
    Yes. Everything is either poisonous and bites. You have scorpions, snakes,spiders, crocodiles, sharks and even the ants bite. There is a lot of other stuff which also bites, but that's a few for now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Well well well. After being here for what must be pushing two weeks, it is clear to me that I'm very lucky to have been born and raised in Australia. The only real drawbacks I can see relates to the slightly less recognised institutions we have that deal with education. Other than that, this country seems near on perfect when compared with what I've read so far. Lovely hot summers where 45C isn't too uncommon, and winters that can still hit -7to9C in winter. One or two bad beaches to steer clear of, beautiful and scenic bushland. Is there anything else I'm missing? I did wish to move to the UK a few years ago for the benefit of the universities available, but what is it like to live there? Do you ever feel over crowded? Do you have surfing on your beaches? etc etc etc.
    Stay where you are Sire! Australia and the Australians are much better than anything we could get here.

ReputationRep:
    and it must be weird to spend Christmas day on a beach! Do you still give each other cards with snow and stuff on them?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    From what I've heard about Australian unis they may not be as well known as oxford et al but the quality of research teaching and life is easily comparable to that available here.

In fact I'm always on the look out for a nice little uni administrator job down there (along with an internal systems job for hubby)...a few yrs working abroad sounds like bliss especially in one of the nice big uni's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommypip)
    and it must be weird to spend Christmas day on a beach! Do you still give each other cards with snow and stuff on them?
    hehe, we do actually lol, never gave it much thought to be honest, but it is kind of stupid isn't it.
    As for the things that bite, you get used to it, the smaller creatures I mean. Huntsman Spiders really hurt when they bite. Got bitten on both toes at some point, and the burning sensation that you feel in your upper thigh, and calf is something one can't describe. Other than that, you just bite everything else back :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Is there anything else I'm missing? I did wish to move to the UK a few years ago for the benefit of the universities available, but what is it like to live there? Do you ever feel over crowded? Do you have surfing on your beaches? etc etc etc.
    Okey so we don't have the glamourous beaches of the Gold Coast, but there is the unique experience of travelling down Cornwall, and trying to get on the beach in the Summer.

And by the way, that is just about the best place for surfing in the UK, simply owing to the long fetch from Rio to Plymouth Hoe.

From what I have noted from my travels to places like the States, and Switzerland; our road networks are some of the busiest in the developed world - though the M6 Toll may help out the West Midlands at Spaghetti Junction and the rest.

But in terms of how we live, I don't feel like we are over crowded, but at times I miss some rurality, as this is decreasing in area over here, and so a trek up to the Lake District or to Malham in the Peak District is sometimes called for just to get away from the urban meyhem which takes over, particularly this time of year when the Christmas Shopping rush kicks in.

Good things about being in Britain:

You can go from one end of the country to the other in around 10 hours

You can go from one side of the country to another in close to 4.

No place in Britain is further than 70 miles from the coast.

Bad things - anything over around 2 1/2 hours is considered to be a road trip !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expression)
    Okey so we don't have the glamourous beaches of the Gold Coast, but there is the unique experience of travelling down Cornwall, and trying to get on the beach in the Summer.

And by the way, that is just about the best place for surfing in the UK, simply owing to the long fetch from Rio to Plymouth Hoe.

From what I have noted from my travels to places like the States, and Switzerland; our road networks are some of the busiest in the developed world - though the M6 Toll may help out the West Midlands at Spaghetti Junction and the rest.

But in terms of how we live, I don't feel like we are over crowded, but at times I miss some rurality, as this is decreasing in area over here, and so a trek up to the Lake District or to Malham in the Peak District is sometimes called for just to get away from the urban meyhem which takes over, particularly this time of year when the Christmas Shopping rush kicks in.

Good things about being in Britain:

You can go from one end of the country to the other in around 10 hours

You can go from one side of the country to another in close to 4.

No place in Britain is further than 70 miles from the coast.

Bad things - anything over around 2 1/2 hours is considered to be a road trip !
    Never been to the Gold Coast personally, just a few unpatrolled beaches a little north of Coffs Harbour. Was nice. I do love that bit about 2 1/2 hours being a road trip lol. Uhmm
    Has your Government done anything to stop the death of rurality?

ReputationRep:
    u still lost the rugby!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    u still lost the rugby!
    yes, but we beat you lot in just about everything else, so we thought we'd LET you win something (not so important to us) this year )
    Aussie Rules!!!!!!!!!!!! And leave the creator of the post alone, he's cool

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Its pathetic. And we sing "Im dreaming of a white cherismas" I get so depressed becuase
    A) Its never snowed where i live
    B) It never will
    C) it sure as hell wont in the middle of summer.

Sire left out one thing... the mad surf and among the greatest surfing conditions in the world.

Ow! AFL I hate it! (Then again im from up north) Its arial pingpong im sorry.

ReputationRep:
    hey!!! i lived in australia for 9 years!! (perth) and we moved back to england (i was originally born in cornwall!!) 4 years ago, as my parents were homesick!! i luike engalcnd and australia for different reasons though!! i loved the outdoor pools and the beaches (despite being one of those silly people who hate getting sand stuck to them, then siting in the car all the way home!!!...well, the whole 20-40 mins any way) I remember thinking that was a long way!!!
    where abouts in oz are you guys??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    You also have the best code of Rugby right on your doorstep .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    u still lost the rugby!
    "Rugby" is actually not that big in Australia.

Aussie Rules and Rugby League are the two main games.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    "Rugby" is actually not that big in Australia.

Aussie Rules and Rugby League are the two main games.
    Very true, it was fun being in Australia for the world cup and seeing actually how much more coverage League was getting compared to Union despite the world cup being on. It was raather refreshing

ReputationRep:
    I hate Rugby League, and its not cool, my school has the best team in Aust. but I hate it! The League boys are *******s compared to the Union boys. Right now there are six separate sex rape allegations at different clubs, the worst thing which has happened in Union is Elton getting a bit drunk!

>>The Union chick<<
    Everdawn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    I hate Rugby League, and its not cool, my school has the best team in Aust. but I hate it! The League boys are *******s compared to the Union boys. Right now there are six separate sex rape allegations at different clubs, the worst thing which has happened in Union is Elton getting a bit drunk!

>>The Union chick<<
    Everdawn.

Rugby League is by far the superior sport in whatever compareable aspect you look at both League and Union. Not true, a Brumbies (I think) player is in hot water.

ReputationRep:
    Ah! Its probably been overshaddowed with the League blitz in the media this week.

ReputationRep:
    It always is - people are always quick to do down Rugby League but criticism of Unoin is slow (or if ever).

ReputationRep:
    people are always quick to do down Rugby League
    Jeez, i wonder why? :rolleyes:

I find that the league guys have no respect for me as a woman, the Union guys are always gentlemen.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.