Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Well well well. After being here for what must be pushing two weeks, it is clear to me that I'm very lucky to have been born and raised in Australia. The only real drawbacks I can see relates to the slightly less recognised institutions we have that deal with education. Other than that, this country seems near on perfect when compared with what I've read so far. Lovely hot summers where 45C isn't too uncommon, and winters that can still hit -7to9C in winter. One or two bad beaches to steer clear of, beautiful and scenic bushland. Is there anything else I'm missing? I did wish to move to the UK a few years ago for the benefit of the universities available, but what is it like to live there? Do you ever feel over crowded? Do you have surfing on your beaches? etc etc etc.
    course we have surfing on our beaches, go doen to cornwall, st ives is the best, and you'll see loads, unless the weathers sh*t

ReputationRep:
    OMG i love my beach! I can surf over 3 surfsaces, reef, rock and sand all at the same place! I even broke my foot and gashe dopen my arm and littled the water with my blood. Oh the love of it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    Jeez, i wonder why? :rolleyes:

I find that the league guys have no respect for me as a woman, the Union guys are always gentlemen.

COme on, most League players arent bad. Most are lovely family men despite what they are capable of doing on the pitch.

ReputationRep:
    Jeez, i wonder why? :rolleyes:

I find that the league guys have no respect for me as a woman, the Union guys are always gentlemen.
    I think the reason for that is probably 'class' related'.

Your average rugby union player comes from a middle/upper class backgound that is more 'genteel' (not new monied) and average rugby league player from a background that has more in common with football supporters. I dislike all the razzamataz connected with rugby league, such as loud music played whenever they score - and in fact have noticed this creeping into Twickenham during 6 nations games. (I find it 'common' but perhaps I'm a rugger snob!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    I think the reason for that is probably 'class' related'.

Your average rugby union player comes from a middle/upper class backgound that is more 'genteel' (not new monied) and average rugby league player from a background that has more in common with football supporters. I dislike all the razzamataz connected with rugby league, such as loud music played whenever they score - and in fact have noticed this creeping into Twickenham during 6 nations games. (I find it 'common' but perhaps I'm a rugger snob!)

We are talking about the situation in Australia, the line is much more blurred than that in England. Both codes have their fair share of working and 'gentile' classes in them. It depends where you come from to which sport you play in a lot of cases.

Rugby league fans are much better behaved than that of their Union counterparts in England. This is probably due to the fact that League fans actually support and understand rugby, whereas the vast majority of Union England 'fans' (otherwise known as glory seekers) are really just football fans, who will get pissed for any occasion, especially ones where England beat Scotland and Wales.

ReputationRep:
    Proud to be Australian? Proud to be a descendant of criminals?

ReputationRep:
    We are talking about the situation in Australia, the line is much more blurred than that in England. Both codes have their fair share of working and 'gentile' classes in them. It depends where you come from to which sport you play in a lot of cases.
    Thats true. Some people are decided upon which team they support becuase the are 'born into it' some people down south are born into AFL.

As for League Games being tame, ohnonononono, its a porblem the NRL is trying to overcome to make the game more friendly to women. IN smaller towns and going into the outback the games are tame, but in places like Sydney and Brisbane (depending on which part of the crowd you are in) things can get nasty.

As for class, well, there isnt much difference between the way people are treated at all. The rich willl still drink the same beer at the same ratty pub as the battler, its what gives us our national identity.

Proud to be Australian? Proud to be a descendant of criminals?
    "We are one, but we a re many and from all the lands on earth we come. We share a dream and sing with one vioce, i am, you are, we are Australian" ---Australia is a hugely multicultural country, not all were convicts. There are a large percentage of immigrants adn then there are the native aboriginies, my family were form Spain, Portugal and immigrated from England as 'free settlers'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Well well well. After being here for what must be pushing two weeks, it is clear to me that I'm very lucky to have been born and raised in Australia. The only real drawbacks I can see relates to the slightly less recognised institutions we have that deal with education. Other than that, this country seems near on perfect when compared with what I've read so far. Lovely hot summers where 45C isn't too uncommon, and winters that can still hit -7to9C in winter. One or two bad beaches to steer clear of, beautiful and scenic bushland. Is there anything else I'm missing? I did wish to move to the UK a few years ago for the benefit of the universities available, but what is it like to live there? Do you ever feel over crowded? Do you have surfing on your beaches? etc etc etc.

I LOVE australia! Its my favorite country, and Sydders being my favorite city.

ReputationRep:
    Thats true. Some people are decided upon which team they support becuase the are 'born into it' some people down south are born into AFL.

As for League Games being tame, ohnonononono, its a porblem the NRL is trying to overcome to make the game more friendly to women. IN smaller towns and going into the outback the games are tame, but in places like Sydney and Brisbane (depending on which part of the crowd you are in) things can get nasty.

As for class, well, there isnt much difference between the way people are treated at all. The rich willl still drink the same beer at the same ratty pub as the battler, its what gives us our national identity.

"We are one, but we a re many and from all the lands on earth we come. We share a dream and sing with one vioce, i am, you are, we are Australian" ---Australia is a hugely multicultural country, not all were convicts. There are a large percentage of immigrants adn then there are the native aboriginies, my family were form Spain, Portugal and immigrated from England as 'free settlers'.

You misunderstood. I was referring to League in England with women supporters not in Australia. League in AUS is your football I guess, so you'd expect some louts.

ReputationRep:
    HEY! I got bad rep for a joke!!! That's mean! We all know it's Americans that shouldn't be proud they were the crazy people!

ReputationRep:
    You misunderstood. I was referring to League in England with women supporters not in Australia.
    IM sorry daling, i misunderstood..

Dani: Really?! OMG.

Yeah, americans, start wars... ok not them their govt.

ReputationRep:
    IM sorry daling, i misunderstood..

Dani: Really?! OMG.

Yeah, americans, start wars... ok not them their govt.
    Ahh yes but notably, the majority of american people spend their lives eating mcdonalds and watching crap on tv whilst drinking and eating stuff with loads of drugs in and taking drugs....and the majority of mental patients end up eating their own faeces and staring at a television for long periods of the day whilst being pumped full of drugs

strong correlation

besides aussie guys are hot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danithestudent)
    and the majority of mental patients end up eating their own faeces
    Such tasteful subject matter for so early in the morning...how are Brad n Jen and that?

ReputationRep:
    lol, dunnow about Heath and Namoi, they left during the night, something about gettin ghte neighbours back, well that was after the cops came. Nicole is still in the broom closet where we left her. Brad and Jen are on the sofa, Brad still has the fishbowl on his head.

On thr bright side, they quietened down after HEath and Namoi left so i got my work done.

ReputationRep:
    Found something out today, Naomi Watts was actually born in Shoreham a mere 7 miles from me

ReputationRep:
    yup, but moved here when she was young. And my belvoed Nicole was bron on a family holiday in Hawaii. All aussie citizens though.

ReputationRep:
    I bet you get asked tonnes on here about Neighbours, personally I dislike neighbours

ReputationRep:
    uh, not really. On the neighbours thread i offered spoilers but i never go t a request 4 one. No one really is THAT into it here, its a time-filler between prime-time shows, so we sort of sit and watch it, you know.

ReputationRep:
    Me from Sydney!

ReputationRep:
    Where 'bouts?!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.