Turn on thread page Beta

Best invention since sliced bread watch

ReputationRep:
    I've seen topics like these before but never seen what I think has revolutionised our lives more tha anything.

silicone

everything seems to be made from it. Without it no chips, no pcs, washing machines, mobile phones, game consoles, digital watches, digital cameras, digital anything, aircraft, space craft, cars, buses, bathroom sealant, double glazing, brake fluid, thousands of apparently unconnected consumables owe their existance to silicone.

ReputationRep:
    Horrah for the man who invented the element silicon. Ditto to the man that made carbon, where would we be without carbon, erh?

ReputationRep:
    yeah... no matter how many times the americans try to say it... they didnt invent any of the elements... dont belive them!!!!!
    oh and the best invetion has to be the wheel

ReputationRep:
    is silicon really an invention

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr frag)
    yeah... no matter how many times the americans try to say it... they didnt invent any of the elements... dont belive them!!!!!
    oh and the best invetion has to be the wheel
    glad someone agrees with me :cool: . My teacher laughed when i said that though :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rpotter)
    is silicon really an invention

OK pedants, change "silicone" to the "use of silicon"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsJones)
    Or silicon wafers to completely sure up your choice - which I have to agree with

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsJones)
    That is not my point. If you said semiconductors I could agree with you. But you said the 'use of silicon' then spouted off a list of inventions that use silicon either in element or more usually in a compound. I mean you could even argue that the trebuchet was a great invention that used SILICON dioxide as a projectile.
    In the same thread I could say the 'use of hydrogen' is an important invention, such things as anything with in water, anything plastic, anything with oils. Wait, that pretty much covers absolutely EVERYTHING.
    I am not being a pedant, you just tried to make too big a sweeping statment. I can easily agree that silicon based semiconductors IS one of the greatest inventions of all time, possibly THE greatest 'since sliced bread'. Everything uses semiconductors and microprocessors that were made from it, just think back to Y2k.
    But there is absolutely NOTHING I can think of that can relate the invention of semiconductors with silicon sealant. Or for that matter 'silicone' boobies (I think we may have to put that up for 'best invention since sliced bread' too).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bilb)
    AH! Ballpoint pen, i would have to kill myself (or learn how to write with my right hand).
    oh, I can even smudge ballpoint writing to illegibility

Yeuch, thats not nice bread at all, what about those teakcakes that you can toast
    Cakes made from teak? You'll be glad of the invention of false teeth after eating one

ReputationRep:
    waffles!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 19, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.