Turn on thread page Beta

Changing your firm...last minute? watch

ReputationRep:
    hey phew just finished my A - levels final exam and everything and have come to terms with the fact that i won't get into my firm choice. I messed up a very important maths exam and well.... :rolleyes: So i was wondering if i could change my firm now if its not too late. My first choice is York and my insurance is Bristol. I want to do this because if i slip two grades then i might still have a chance of getting into Bristol

So can it be done or am i done for ?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you can change your firm choice. You would need to call UCAS and the uni's to do that. Remember the firm uni might not release you.

ReputationRep:
    But if you're holding Bristol as insurance and you make the grades, you'll get in there anyway, so why do you need to?

ReputationRep:
    If you think Bristol will still accept you if you miss the grades, why do you want to change your choices? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    He means missing both offers and is thinking that Bristol might accept him if he has them as firm yet misses the grades, because they almost certainly won't accept if he has them as insurance and misses grades.

Regardless of what you do, i'm sure that you've made the grades though. Keep positive, exams aren't meant to be found easy

ReputationRep:
    Bristol doesn't give insurance choice students guaranteed acommodation. Thats one of the reasons
    but also i'm just hoping that if they've seen i've chosen them as a firm they will be more willing to accept a grade slip. I don't know i'm kinda worried i won't get into uni at all.

When you say "release" do you mean they will say sorry "you've chosen us as a firm, no changing now" ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Da_Head1)
    Bristol doesn't give insurance choice students guaranteed acommodation. Thats one of the reasons
    but also i'm just hoping that if they've seen i've chosen them as a firm they will be more willing to accept a grade slip. I don't know i'm kinda worried i won't get into uni at all.

When you say "release" do you mean they will say sorry "you've chosen us as a firm, no changing now" ?
    Release mean that they you can be let go of and go to your other uni of your choice. Sometimes they won't let you change.

ReputationRep:
    Yup - you've effectively entered a contract that means unless they choose to release you you can't go to uni anywhere else

ReputationRep:
    He means missing both offers and is thinking that Bristol might accept him if he has them as firm yet misses the grades, because they almost certainly won't accept if he has them as firm and misses grades.
    yeah thats what i mean

ReputationRep:
    if he had his bristol as firm, they would be more likely to accept him if he missed the grades. well, thats what one of the tutors from cardiff uni said to me.

if he misses his insurance, they would be less likely to accept him.

ReputationRep:
    if that made any sense! ?

ReputationRep:
    is there any way to go through Clearing on results day, so backing out of your Firm?

ReputationRep:
    if that made any sense! ?
    Yeah thats what i'm hoping will happen if i change my firm to Bristol. Cheers for the help guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xelprep)
    is there any way to go through Clearing on results day, so backing out of your Firm?
    As far as I know you're only elligible to enter clearing if you don't hold any offers. Thus you can only enter clearing if:

1: you haven't met your firm and insurance offers and they don't want to offer you a place regardless
    or
    2: you get your firm and insurance to release you (which I understand can take a while if you leave it until results day)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Da_Head1)
    Yeah thats what i'm hoping will happen if i change my firm to Bristol. Cheers for the help guys
    yes, i do think it is possible but if you want to do it, ring bristol NOW before its too late. I'm sure bristol will be happy to take you as firm. although, York will not be happy to release you though!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.