The Student Room Group

A level Arabic?

Scroll to see replies

5attab
lool my first impression when i first looked through the paper was.. "these are gonna be 3 looongg hours LOL:p: "
I havent written in fus7a for ages aswel, but i did last yr when i sat my AS with 2hrs of revision and it went pretty good so i thought i would get away with a day of revision for this one as its harder but i guess i was wrong.. the comprehension was wierd.. i mean seriously they cudve came up with waaay better passages than that:eek3: translation was ok, abit harder than usual though i thought, and in the essays i just ran out of ideas.. i kinda repeated myself a few times so yea.. i just hope i did enough to get a B, which is what i need to get an A overall:smile:

It WAS a 'long 3 hours', I finished jussstt on time, didn't even count the words for the last essay :/
Yallah, Inshallah 7'er.
errr i know, and there was this one question which we had to give 3 answers to when in the passage they had only stated one answer :confused:
You only need to get a B to get an overall A? REALLY? bas tab3an a high B right? Ya rabb I hope I get a A.
Reply 21
happyfeet*
It WAS a 'long 3 hours', I finished jussstt on time, didn't even count the words for the last essay :/
Yallah, Inshallah 7'er.
errr i know, and there was this one question which we had to give 3 answers to when in the passage they had only stated one answer :confused:
You only need to get a B to get an overall A? REALLY? bas tab3an a high B right? Ya rabb I hope I get a A.

LOL thats what I was thinking aswel, but i made up answers from my understanding of the text, n they kinda made sense:p:
and not really, a low B should do i think.. all the best inshallah!:biggrin:
Reply 22
i'm doing this in June haha x
Reply 23
I am doing mine this year and I was wondering what kind of questions they ask about 'al liss wal kilab'
Reply 24
Original post by minime23
I am doing mine this year and I was wondering what kind of questions they ask about 'al liss wal kilab'

i'm guessing essay Qs.. lol
hey, i'm doing my arabic A2 in june as well
i was just wondering how come everyone is reading al liss wal kilaab?
i've been told to read kalilah wa dimna - does any1 know which one is better to read for the exam? - and why? :confused:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by VETwannabe
hey, i'm doing my arabic A2 in june as well
i was just wondering how come everyone is reading al liss wal kilaab?
i've been told to read kalilah wa dimna - does any1 know which one is better to read for the exam? :confused:

I didn't read either.. I just did the general knowledge questions :smile:
Original post by happyfeet*
I didn't read either.. I just did the general knowledge questions :smile:

don't u have to do 1 question from each section? - oh hang on all them questions are in 1 section - ok i get it - thanx
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by VETwannabe
don't u have to do 1 question from each section?

Yes, but if you haven't studied a book you can choose 2 general knowledge questions as long as they're not the same letter. So for example you have 2 parts in each question (a and b) if you choose to answer 1a, you can't answer any other 'a' question's, you can only choose to to answer the 'b' questions. There's usually like 7 general knowledge questions to choose from.

EDIT: Just saw your 'edit', tis fine :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by penguin x
i'm guessing essay Qs.. lol

Well no........ :h:
I meant do they ask for themes and stuff cause I couldn't get hold off a past paper :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by Gamaz
Thanks for the tip, lol. I don't want to underestimate the exam, since I know there are techniques to getting it. I'm buying that Naguib Mahfouz novel to read over Xmas (that is, if my revision for A levels doesn't get in the way !).
And I suggest you get a teacher you're on good terms with (preferebly a French/Italian etc. teacher) to read the specs for you. The specification follows the same template for A level French, Italian etc.

hi i will be doing only AS level arabic because i suddenly knew that the ministry needs 4 subjects so ii will be doing my exams in this years june 2011 so can you tell me is it hard or can i do it

in my IGCSE i had E grade because aactually did not study a lot now i have got only 3 months to study and revise

thanks for your time
Reply 31
Hello peeps! I'm sitting A2 Arabic this June and I'm worried D:

I got an A in AS but then AS is considerably easier than A2. At my college, we've studied Al Liss Wal Kilaab and we're now studying Kalila Wa Dimna (ugh, it's such a headache!). My teacher advised us to do the questions for those two books wehn it comes to the second section because apparently the 'general knowledge' essay questions are hard and very broad. Plus, they're usually about Arab culture/sport/history/geography etc and as I'm not Arab, I don't really have much of an idea about those sort of areas. So, I'm going to stick to the two books- Al Liss Wal Kilaab and Kalila Wa Dimna. Buuuut, I was wondering if anyone knew how many marks in each question actually go towards the quality of writing? I had a look on the Edexcel website and found a couple of A2 past papers but their mark schemes aren't very clear and thw website isn't really that helpful either.

Anyone here done A2? How did you find it? Do you reckon 3 hours is enough? D:

I was hoping that A2 Arabic was gonna be an easy subject because I'm doing 4 others (Econ, Maths, Chem and Bio) too. Allah y3eeni!
Reply 32
Original post by S.A.S
Hello peeps! I'm sitting A2 Arabic this June and I'm worried D:

I got an A in AS but then AS is considerably easier than A2. At my college, we've studied Al Liss Wal Kilaab and we're now studying Kalila Wa Dimna (ugh, it's such a headache!). My teacher advised us to do the questions for those two books wehn it comes to the second section because apparently the 'general knowledge' essay questions are hard and very broad. Plus, they're usually about Arab culture/sport/history/geography etc and as I'm not Arab, I don't really have much of an idea about those sort of areas. So, I'm going to stick to the two books- Al Liss Wal Kilaab and Kalila Wa Dimna. Buuuut, I was wondering if anyone knew how many marks in each question actually go towards the quality of writing? I had a look on the Edexcel website and found a couple of A2 past papers but their mark schemes aren't very clear and thw website isn't really that helpful either.

Anyone here done A2? How did you find it? Do you reckon 3 hours is enough? D:

I was hoping that A2 Arabic was gonna be an easy subject because I'm doing 4 others (Econ, Maths, Chem and Bio) too. Allah y3eeni!

Insha'Allah you do well, I did AS and got an A.

Then I dropped Arabic, but know i entered myself to do the A2... I never read any book.. are there any past papers I can practice with?
Reply 33
To those who are doing/completed A Level Arabic...

How useful is A Level Arabic to a non-native aspiring to learn the language?

I mean I know its not classical arabic so I probably wont be able to translate classical Islamic books etc. and I also know its MSA not a dialect, but I actually want to learn MSA to as high a level as possible.

If I did GCSE, AS And A2 Level Arabic will I pretty much be able to read any modern arabic book/newspaper?

How much of Al-Jazeerah or BBC Arabic will I be able to understand?

Does it give you a well rounded coverage of the Arabic language? Or does it just home in on very specific niche areas such as the books being talked about in this thread?

thanks for any advice/info.
Reply 34
Original post by MedicUK

I mean I know its not classical arabic so I probably wont be able to translate classical Islamic books etc. and I also know its MSA not a dialect, but I actually want to learn MSA to as high a level as possible.

If I did GCSE, AS And A2 Level Arabic will I pretty much be able to read any modern arabic book/newspaper?

Does it give you a well rounded coverage of the Arabic language? Or does it just home in on very specific niche areas such as the books being talked about in this thread?

Just bumping this in case anyone can answer questions above...
Original post by MedicUK

Hey learning MSA at any level whether at A2 or degree would be quite useful to Ajams(Non- Native Arab speakers. You would be able to understand the newspapers not everything but you will probably get the gist although you would need to put in a lot of extra work in to gain better understanding. This is true with all languages
Reply 36
Original post by Matthew12
Hey learning MSA at any level whether at A2 or degree would be quite useful to Ajams(Non- Native Arab speakers. You would be able to understand the newspapers not everything but you will probably get the gist although you would need to put in a lot of extra work in to gain better understanding. This is true with all languages

Thanks for your reply, but it doesn't really answer any of my questions (unless you've done A-Level Arabic and talking about it from that perspective?)

I'm aware that learning MSA would be useful for newspapers and that 'extra work will give me better understanding' but I was specifically wanting to know to what level of proficiency does completing the A-Level bring a student to.
Reply 37
Where can you purchase the books from?
Original post by Earthly
You've definitely got a good background then! Yep, everything in the exam will be in MSA...You'll do literature, it's challenging for me, but you should find it easier considering your level of experience with the language... We're doing "The Theif and the Dogs" by Naguib Mahfouz...the exams are entirely in Arabic, and will question the plot and characters of the book which we will then elaborate on.......I know there is a selection of literature to choose from, so the best idea is to contact edexcel to find out exactly what papers are available......technique wise, i'd say if do english-lit you already have a good idea about how to structure your answers...best of luck!

How do you know what to learn from the books?
Original post by Earthly
Hi, I'm doing A-level Arabic, Russian and English. The Arabic exams are in Modern Standard Arabic, which is considerably different to spoken Arabic, and more complex. Which Arabic dialect are you fluent in? How is your MSA Arabic?

Hey, I would like to ask you about the Arabic A level, when and where did you do it?
Because I live in London, and I have done my Arabic gsce and I got A*, so I would like to do Arabic A level!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending