Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have a dilemma... I want to become a doctor or at least study medecine at university. I am thinking of taking the following A2 levels: Chimistry, I.C.T and I am undecided between Human Biology and General Biology... I have been told that "many many many unis don't accept human biology" however I feel Human Biology is much more relevant to medecine than General Biology... Can anyone educate me with this?

ReputationRep:
    I would take general. My friends say it's more interesting, and what you hear about human is true.

ReputationRep:
    Just do normal Biology, honestly, I've seen loads of Unis that don't accept Human Biology for any Biology related courses and even though I don't know how the course is different I'm sure there's a good reason why they don't accept it.

ReputationRep:
    another argument - based on observations at my 6th form in favour of general was the dynamic of the other students taking it..

generally those doing straight Biology were also doing Chemistry/Maths/Physics - which as a potential medic may be some of your other subjects & there was some overlap. for the majority of people doing Human Biology - it was their only pure science, other common subjects were PE & psychology.

& typically our yearly results were far far better in straight biology - which may reflect teaching, greater sciencey aptitude of students, better aptitude of peers etc. I don't know.. but I had a friend now reading Biochem at ICL who greatly regreted taking HumanBio because it was essentially being taught at C grade level..

anyway, this isn't intended as an insult to those who choose Human Bio or anything (don't flame me! :rolleyes: ) - just an observation - but given my 6th form was pretty damn huge, there may be something in it.. so i'd recommened it's worth checking the typical %A grades of each subject at the places you're looking at Don Corleone?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, this has been a big help, and could've saved my future. Much appreiciated.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know, universities definately prefer General over Human.

ReputationRep:
    My school does not offer Human Biology, so I enquired about it. The head of Biology said it was not really cared for by Universities. He said General was much more sought-after.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seaspray)
    My school does not offer Human Biology, so I enquired about it. The head of Biology said it was not really cared for by Universities. He said General was much more sought-after.
    which, in my opinion, is very illogical. Why would you need to know about ecology and plants when studying medicine?!

ReputationRep:
    you still have to study planty/ecological type topics in human biology apparently. silly, i know.

& biology isn't even essential for medicine at a number of schools - so i don't think you necessarily "build on it" but are taught things again in much more detail! :p:

ReputationRep:
    yeh, i was reading the premedical requirement for oxbridge and chemistry is the essential one?! i mean why? it's my least fav as well

ReputationRep:
    Well to be fair to do medicine you don't have to take biology at all - you only have to take chemistry!! :eek:

But yes reglar Biology is a far wider subject and besides it's more fun You don't have to learn about the evolution of homo erectus!! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Universities perfer general biology because it covers a wider range of biological topics than human biology does. They like to know that you've covered a wide range of things and not just a set syllabus on human biology

general biology contains things like respiration, photosynthesis and populations

classification, selection and evolution

control of growth and development in plants and animals

transport in multicellular plants etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonscape)
    yeh, i was reading the premedical requirement for oxbridge and chemistry is the essential one?! i mean why? it's my least fav as well
    I can only think that you need to have a good chemical knowledge when dealing with medecine because a) It shows you have a good scientific knowledge, and perhaps b) it shows you know the effects of different elements/compounds when mixed to give a certain medecine??? Anyway, someone said plants are not relevent in the slightest for medecine, actually I think they are, like is it acupuncture? Some medecines are made from natural plant extracts.

ReputationRep:
    Also in general I found out that you cover more on cells and organisms, great for microbiology and biochemistry which can tie in with medecine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Corleone)
    I can only think that you need to have a good chemical knowledge when dealing with medecine because a) It shows you have a good scientific knowledge, and perhaps b) it shows you know the effects of different elements/compounds when mixed to give a certain medecine??? Anyway, someone said plants are not relevent in the slightest for medecine, actually I think they are, like is it acupuncture? Some medecines are made from natural plant extracts.
    Well if you go into medicine an become a doctor, dermotologist whatever, you have to advice on natural medicines such as plant stuff etc etc

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, thought so.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.