Turn on thread page Beta

Fun in the sun?!? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adarah)
    The UV rays damage the DNA in your skin each time you are exposed to the sun. If you have darker skin less UV light penetrates your skin and less damage is done (but our body needs some UV light for certain processes, so that's why we don't all have dark skin by nature). Normally we would not be exposed to a lot of light in winter and so that our body can still get enough sun light we turn white and when there is too much sun in summer, our body slowly builds up a tan over spring to stop too much light getting at us.
    By living indoors a lot and going to tanning studios or suddenly exposing our skin to more sun light than it can take (like going on holiday somewhere warm when we normally live near the north pole or such like ) and that is of course bad as our DNA is then damaged more than our natural defences can cope with.
    Each time you go into the sun your DNA is damaged and then when the body repairs you damaged DNA is snips out little bits of DNA that then tell your skin to 'go brown'. So if you go and spend a day in the sun and are very brown afterwards it is because you DNA has been damaged a lot that day. Next time you go in the sun though you DNA will not be damaged as much as less light will reach it.
    I'm no expert on all this, but it seems to be you want to avoid too much DNA damage really, so best thing is build up a tan slowly and gently and if you are very fair skinned, not to go out into the summer sun without protection because you'll just be damaging your skin and inviting cancer. You can go out if the sun is not very strong, but a lot of red-headed people do not tan easily (because the clime they are originally from nearlly never has such strong sunshine to make that necessary) - but if they go on holiday to somewhere very sunny, they are better off just putting on a lot of suntan cream, because before they manage to develope a tan more DNA will have been harmed than a person who naturally goes brown fast. If you tan quickly then it takes less damaged DNA to get a tan so it's a bit safer.
    Still, best thing to do is just wear sun screen.
    Sort of but not quite. Damage to DNA and melanin production stimulation are not necessarily one and the same but UV does both

ReputationRep:
    Aloe Vera Gel is a great after sun lotion. You can get it in Holland and Barrett and other health shops.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Sort of but not quite. Damage to DNA and melanin production stimulation are not necessarily one and the same but UV does both
    Hmm... I read just the other day that it's the snippets of damaged DNA that are responsible for the melanin production... I'll see what I can find on the internet...

edit: found the article online, but you have to pay for it (http://www.newscientist.com/channel/...mg18624981.500). so I'll just quote a bit that you'd normally have to pay for
    and yeah, you were right, they are not solely responsible, I got that wrong, but the DNA snippets do play some big role I think:

Perhaps surprisingly, it was only relatively recently that scientists discovered how melanocytes detect that you have been in the sun. When UV rays damage the DNA in skin cells, repair enzymes excise short snippets of damaged DNA. In 1994 a team led by Barbara Gilchrest, a dermatologist at Boston University, showed that these DNA snippets seem to make melanocytes more responsive to MSH, so they release more melanin.

ReputationRep:
    SPF only protects against UVB, the star rating on the back of the bottle if the protection against UVA. Next year some time all bottles will be standardised with the star rating displayed on the front rather than hidden away on the back. You want 5*.

Sun Protection Factor is basically how much longer we can be in the sun before burning, relative to our tendancy to burn without sun cream.

So, if you can stand 10mins in the sun, and you wear 15SPF sun cream, 10x15 = 150minutes. Realistically, with any activity, the sunblock will not remain on the skin for the full 300 minutes and it needs to be reapplied regularly.

ReputationRep:
    I use factor 6 lolzz. I don't get a tan otherwise!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You should use 400ml of sunscreen for a 7/10 day holiday! And you need a blob the size of a walnut for one arm!

And make sure you cover everywhere, I have an interesting red blob where I must've missed!

ReputationRep:
    I fell asleep in the sun on thursday, and i am in so much pain on my chest, face, legs and shoulders.
    It's not an attractive look, peeling skin on your face

cover up guys and girls

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)

And make sure you cover everywhere, I have an interesting red blob where I must've missed!
    :ditto:

I've been burnt badly a few times now, and am now taking the older and wiser approach and slapping on factor 30 at tthe first sign of sun!

If you do get burnt, I find that baby oil is a really fab way of soothing it - it puts the moisture back into your skin more quickly than any other product I have ever tried! Also, if you keeo it in the fridge it is as soothing as a cold bath without all the stingyness and pain involved in drying yourself afterwards! Just have to remember to keep well out of the sun after you've put it on, though, lest you actually start to fry...:p:

ReputationRep:
    Also THE TOP OF YOUR FEET SHOULD BE CREAMED. the pain if you don't is inimaginable.
    and the bottom particulary if you are lying on your front. I burnt the soles of my feet. Couldn't walk, wear shoes, or anything.

EDIT: and your lips. The skin is very thin and will burn, I know, they swell and you have to drink through a straw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachaelmarie)
    and the bottom particulary if you are lying on your front. I burnt the soles of my feet. Couldn't walk, wear shoes, or anything.

EDIT: and your lips. The skin is very thin and will burn, I know, they swell and you have to drink through a straw
    You can get lipbalms with an SPF included, though mine tastes a bit funny. Also one random place loads of people forget - tops of your ears! They burn really easily, and in our Pathology practicals we had to look at quite a few skin tumours that had started there.

ReputationRep:
    I never really wear suncream and still don't get burnt. I can't believe you all cover yourselves from head to toe!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_roadkill)
    I never really wear suncream and still don't get burnt. I can't believe you all cover yourselves from head to toe!
    Clearly some of us are not blessed with your complexion. I'd rather stay pale rather than lobsterised, and as I've already said I don't tan very satisfactorily anyway. Plus I won't have cancer/premature aging in a few years :p:

ReputationRep:
    Clearly some of us are not blessed with your complexion. I'd rather stay pale rather than lobsterised, and as I've already said I don't tan very satisfactorily anyway. Plus I won't have cancer/premature aging in a few years :p:
    Lobsterised - I like that

I find it strange that I tan so easily and don't burn considering I've got light hair (which used to be very blond). I tend to go brown immediately (or fairly quickly) instead of red.

I probably should put sun cream on, I when abroad, but not so much over here.

ReputationRep:
    bit of a rebel bcos i have to say i do go out & sunbathe. at first i do it gradually and build up my tan using factor 20 first then going down to factor 8. ive got dark hair & v dark eyes so i tan quite well. did burn my eye lids last yr, that certainly was an interesting experience - had permanent eye shadow (and a little tip is that if you do burn your eyelids dont put eyeshadow on them, it just aggrevates the skin )

ReputationRep:
    I wore a factor 20 the other day, actually last Sunday, and was pottering around the garden for a couple or hours, putting on suncream a few times in between and STILL GOT BURNT! :mad: How can this happen! Its been a week and I'm only just getting over it!

PS After peeling putting on After Sun hurts like mad! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    i dont actually use sun cream - but im asisan htats my excuse so far, havent been burnt yet, but prob get slight heat sroke, what sort of sun cream should i use and what spf?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imaad)
    i dont actually use sun cream - but im asisan htats my excuse so far, havent been burnt yet, but prob get slight heat sroke, what sort of sun cream should i use and what spf?
    You probably only need a low SPF - as for "what sort" I really don't know what differences there are, just pop along to Boots or somewhere and have a look. As for heatstroke, it's all about keeping hydrated

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping one of the global mods will sticky this for me for a while as it seems to be a recurring theme these last couple of days. *flutters eyelashes*

So, the sun has come out and it's baking hot. And out trot the brave old British to try and get tanned. Or it happens by accident. Whatever, lots of you are now a nice shade of lobster.

My first piece of advice, as Baz Luhrman said: wear sunscreen. If you're pale and weedy like me, you need at least SPF 25. Most white people should be using 8 if not 15; coloured skins can get away with less but should still use it as I'm sure you all know you're not immune to burning! Apply before you go out, and reapply every few hours or after you've been in water. TRY and avoid the sun between 11 and 2 if you can, and if you can't, make sure you're well suncreamed and ideally have a hat.

If it's too late for the above and you're already burnt, first thing to do is stay out of the sun! I find a nice cool bath/shower works really well to cool down the burn (as you would with any other burn) and then lots and lots of aftersun. Aloe vera gel/lotion is wonderful, as is calamine. And cover up until it's gone down a bit. Try not to get burnt, even if you really want to tan - I forget the exact statistics, but I think it only takes about 7-8 doses of sunburn to an area in your life to seriously increase your risk of skin cancer. I know I've burned my shoulders more than that.

Next, hydration. It's much hotter than usual and you should probably be taking in at least twice your usual fluid intake. That's about 3 litres per day for most people. If you do sport or any kind of exercise you're going to need more, and ideally you should drink isotonic fluid as you'll be losing a lot of salt too. A nice recipe for an isotonic-ish drink is:

800ml water
    1/4tsp salt
    2-3tsp sugar
    200ml sugar free squash (or however strong you like it)

If you start to feel headachy, drowsy, sluggish, bad tempered or any or all of the above, it's time to get out of the sun, get lots of water (or ideally isotonics) down you and get some rest.

Happy summer folks!

Yeah I agree but just because you are dark skinned does not mean that you get away with wearing a little protection, I am of Mediterean origin and still do not allow myself to get away without wearing sun protection as I want to prevent wrinkels as the sun is one of the main causes of premature aging. IF YOU DO NOT PROTECT YOUR SKIN BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT SCARED OF CANCER, PROTECT IT AGAINST WRINKLES AS ONE OR THE OTHER WILL HAPPEN!!!!

ReputationRep:
    yeah i was out all day on sunday, forgot sunscreen. Ive literally only just recovered from the most ridiculous burn lines

People, wear sunscreen!....

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 2, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.