Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have this next week and I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips! I havent got a clue what to expect and it would be quite nice to pass it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    I have this next week and I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips! I havent got a clue what to expect and it would be quite nice to pass it!
    Yeah, I'm doing this next week. We were given a huge AEA "pack", but i haven't been through it yet. I'll post some stuff up when I get the chance. (i.e. after tommorow's History unit 6 :p: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sofa King)
    Yeah, I'm doing this next week. We were given a huge AEA "pack", but i haven't been through it yet. I'll post some stuff up when I get the chance. (i.e. after tommorow's History unit 6 :p: )
    Cool, thanks. We havent been given anything! Good luck for tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    Yes thanks, I'm supposed to be doing it, but I have absolutely no idea of what I have to do for it! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    The AEA is going to kill me.
    I have had non stop exams this week and would love just one day to relax, but no, have to sit a 3 hour paper :mad:
    And it's just essentially one huge essay or piece of creative writing. It sounds fun but tbh, I'm just so exhausted I'm scared I won't perform well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diachrom)
    The AEA is going to kill me.
    I have had non stop exams this week and would love just one day to relax, but no, have to sit a 3 hour paper :mad:
    And it's just essentially one huge essay or piece of creative writing. It sounds fun but tbh, I'm just so exhausted I'm scared I won't perform well.
    Yeah, I can't really be bothered to do it anymore. My last proper exam is on monday but it means I have to wait until thursday before they're all over! Why are you scared of not performing well, it's not included in any of your uni offers is it?

ReputationRep:
    As promised :

What is it?

AEA English is designed to be accessible for all english candidates, Lang, Lang/Lit or Lit. for this reason, the question paper will contain questions that may look different than what ur used to, e.g Lit students may find transcripts, adverts, etc. However, ther is just the one Assessment Objective:

The AEA English award will assess candidates' abilities to apply and communicate effectively their knowledge and understanding of English, some of its methodologies and texts, using the skills of critical analysis, evaluation and synthesis

So it doesn't amtter which english you do, it should be answerable to all.

Content

There is no prescribed content in the form of set texts or topics - a key feature of AEA is that you are not expected to prepare for the exam. the tasks set are likely to test the skils you have developed at A level. The paper will test depth of understanding rather than Breadth of knowledge.

Structure of Exam

a 3 hour paper. You answer one question in Section A and one from a choice of 4 or 5 in Section B. You should spend an hour on each, and each is marked out of 30. the first of the three hours is for reading and planning (an hours' reading time!)

There will be provided a reading booklet, whic contains two sections, the first with relevand material for A and the second section for B. There will be a common theme connecting the texts (in the specimen paper, it was "Language, Shakespeare and Power") It contains a LOT of reading! this is deliberate, to test how well you can select and respond to literary/linguistic material under pressure. It is very unlikely that you will need to refer to all of them, so you could read through the material quickly to decide which ones are relevant and which ones you can ignore altogether. tip: skim read through the booklet first, and then concentrate on those likely to help you with your answer. The exam assess depth, not breadth. Remember, you have an hour to plan and read. do not feel under pressure to write before this hour is up.

Exam questions

Section A will have a very open question - essentially, you decide what task to want to set yourself (weird), and select the appropriate passages to reflect as part of your answer the methods you have adopted and how effective they have been. Whatever you set yourself, it is important to remember that analysis and comparison should be at the heart of your answer. You should initially explain the approach you are adopting and , at the end, reflect briefly on how well your approach has enabled you to complete the task.

Section B contains a choice of questions covering a range of linguistic and/or literary topics. One of the questions may give you the opportunity to produce and evaluate piece of your own writing based on the passages. The questions are specific, but you have a choice of at least 4/5. Some will focus on language and linguisitic issues; others invite approaches which could either be literary or linguisitic, or intergrate the two.

Recreative response questions

If the material in the reading booklet lends itself to such a question, there may the the chance to answer a task involving a recreative response to one of the passages in Section a or to transpose a piece of writing from one form into another. Such a task would involve writing a commentary analysing your own piece of writing in the light of the original.

Terminology

You will have learnt various terminlogy relevant to the a level course. However, you will not be awarded marks if you use terminology just to impress. Some unfamiliar terminology used in a text in the booklet will be explained in anotehr text (in the specimen paper, one test uses "post-modern" and another text explains "post modernism")

this is simplified from the pack I was given. Hope this helps everyone

ReputationRep:
    And there were a few of us who were planning to go over a past paper sometime before the AEA. Not sure if it's still going ahead, but anyone else interested?

ReputationRep:
    As promised :

What is it?

AEA English is designed to be accessible for all english candidates, Lang, Lang/Lit or Lit. for this reason, the question paper will contain questions that may look different than what ur used to, e.g Lit students may find transcripts, adverts, etc. However, ther is just the one Assessment Objective:

The AEA English award will assess candidates' abilities to apply and communicate effectively their knowledge and understanding of English, some of its methodologies and texts, using the skills of critical analysis, evaluation and synthesis

So it doesn't amtter which english you do, it should be answerable to all.

Content

There is no prescribed content in the form of set texts or topics - a key feature of AEA is that you are not expected to prepare for the exam. the tasks set are likely to test the skils you have developed at A level. The paper will test depth of understanding rather than Breadth of knowledge.

Structure of Exam

a 3 hour paper. You answer one question in Section A and one from a choice of 4 or 5 in Section B. You should spend an hour on each, and each is marked out of 30. the first of the three hours is for reading and planning (an hours' reading time!)

There will be provided a reading booklet, whic contains two sections, the first with relevand material for A and the second section for B. There will be a common theme connecting the texts (in the specimen paper, it was "Language, Shakespeare and Power") It contains a LOT of reading! this is deliberate, to test how well you can select and respond to literary/linguistic material under pressure. It is very unlikely that you will need to refer to all of them, so you could read through the material quickly to decide which ones are relevant and which ones you can ignore altogether. tip: skim read through the booklet first, and then concentrate on those likely to help you with your answer. The exam assess depth, not breadth. Remember, you have an hour to plan and read. do not feel under pressure to write before this hour is up.

Exam questions

Section A will have a very open question - essentially, you decide what task to want to set yourself (weird), and select the appropriate passages to reflect as part of your answer the methods you have adopted and how effective they have been. Whatever you set yourself, it is important to remember that analysis and comparison should be at the heart of your answer. You should initially explain the approach you are adopting and , at the end, reflect briefly on how well your approach has enabled you to complete the task.

Section B contains a choice of questions covering a range of linguistic and/or literary topics. One of the questions may give you the opportunity to produce and evaluate piece of your own writing based on the passages. The questions are specific, but you have a choice of at least 4/5. Some will focus on language and linguisitic issues; others invite approaches which could either be literary or linguisitic, or intergrate the two.

Recreative response questions

If the material in the reading booklet lends itself to such a question, there may the the chance to answer a task involving a recreative response to one of the passages in Section a or to transpose a piece of writing from one form into another. Such a task would involve writing a commentary analysing your own piece of writing in the light of the original.

Terminology

You will have learnt various terminlogy relevant to the a level course. However, you will not be awarded marks if you use terminology just to impress. Some unfamiliar terminology used in a text in the booklet will be explained in anotehr text (in the specimen paper, one test uses "post-modern" and another text explains "post modernism")

this is simplified from the pack I was given. Hope this helps everyone
    Thanks . I have given you rep!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    Thanks . I have given you rep!
    How kind ^_^

ReputationRep:
    drink a bit before hand maybe.

ReputationRep:
    So how did everyone do? Not quite sure how, but I managed to get a distinction

ReputationRep:
    So how did everyone do? Not quite sure how, but I managed to get a distinction
    Me too!

ReputationRep:
    Same! it was only shown as a 'D' on my paper so i thought it was an actual 'D' grade for English...nearly had a fit until someone pointed out it was the AEA! thank the lord!

ReputationRep:
    that sounds a familiar story... but I got a distinction too!!! dont know how cos i talked about spongebob squarepants

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazygirlcath)
    Same! it was only shown as a 'D' on my paper so i thought it was an actual 'D' grade for English...nearly had a fit until someone pointed out it was the AEA! thank the lord!
    Had the exact same problem - was about to leap out the window when I saw the letters 'AEA' next to it and my despair turned to joy. And shock.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deer87)
    Had the exact same problem - was about to leap out the window when I saw the letters 'AEA' next to it and my despair turned to joy. And shock.

Thats weird...my OCR S.R shows 'distinction'....mabbe your school reformatted your results?

ReputationRep:
    ocr show it as distinction, or the word for whichever grade you get, but other boards like aqa show it as D, M or P.

ReputationRep:
    any samples of AEA english ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silence)
    ocr show it as distinction, or the word for whichever grade you get, but other boards like aqa show it as D, M or P.
    edexcel is distinction/merit as wel (in words)..and anyway only OCR does English AEA....

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 30, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.