Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    Vile
    by god if i was that ugly i would also have a bag over my head

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    The only thing I object to is that "Christian and Jewish symbols are not included in the ban", which seems a bit unfair. Apparently it's to protect students from a "fundamentalist influence"; how they can justify that is beyond me.
    A very small minority of muslims have done terrorist acts against the west. Nobody is going to say thats all muslims are terrorists. But Al Quaeda dont wear holy crosses so you can understand why they dont say this should be banned because its not a christian or jewish group who are plotting against western countries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    well, why not?

just because they're religious doesnt mean they're trying to convert you. in fact it probably has little / nothing to do with what youre learning about.

would you object to being served in a shop / restaurant by someone wearing a headscarf ? or a cross?
    i feel better wen some1 religious serves/teaches me, no matter wot religion it is, it just shows that we can live together

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saf!)
    i feel better wen some1 religious serves/teaches me, no matter wot religion it is, it just shows that we can live together
    :rolleyes: what are you talking about?

there still humans whether there black or not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eric bischoff)
    :rolleyes: what are you talking about?

there still humans whether there black or not
    wot do u mean black?? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saf!)
    Thats discrimination. I'm athiest does that mean you dont want me serving/teaching you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saf!)
    wot do u mean black?? :confused:
    coloured skin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michael Beaver)
    Thats discrimination. I'm athiest does that mean you dont want me serving/teaching you.
    no i didn't mean it in that way......................... wot i'm trying 2 say is that, wen a person frm a differnt religion serves/teaches u, u feel respected in a way, cos thers so much religious conflict around the world, and it just shows that ther are sum ppl who respect everi1

ReputationRep:
    coloured skin
    read my last post..................

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    well, why not?

just because they're religious doesnt mean they're trying to convert you. in fact it probably has little / nothing to do with what youre learning about.

would you object to being served in a shop / restaurant by someone wearing a headscarf ? or a cross?
    of course not, but growing up in school i think kids should be free of religious influences

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saf!)
    read my last post..................
    i dont judge them by there religion the fact they give the time to help is good enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    of course not, but growing up in school i think kids should be free of religious influences
    Edders, great minds think alike. And as I agree with you, at least a bit of your mind is great.

ReputationRep:
    the lack of religious influence is, actually, a religion in itself... i dont believe kids should be detatched from cultures or parts of the world simply because it would be considered religious influence-- in history what would they say? "...and in medieval times in europe they were christians but we cant tell you any part of their belief structure because that would be influencing your personal spiritual life."

ReputationRep:
    if it supresses their right to expression of faith?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Julia O.)
    the lack of religious influence is, actually, a religion in itself... .
    :confused:

i dont believe kids should be detatched from cultures or parts of the world simply because it would be considered religious influence-- in history what would they say? "...and in medieval times in europe they were christians but we cant tell you any part of their belief structure because that would be influencing your personal spiritual life."
    no, thats called teaching. religious influence is letting authority figures display religious symbols that kids can look up to as a 'good example'. obviously theres nothing wrong with having muslim teachers, but letting them wear head scarves does seem to violate the idea that kids should be free to form their own ideas about which religion (or lack of one) is right for them.

ReputationRep:
    the lack of religious influence is, actually, a religion in itself... i dont believe kids should be detatched from cultures or parts of the world simply because it would be considered religious influence-- in history what would they say? "...and in medieval times in europe they were christians but we cant tell you any part of their belief structure because that would be influencing your personal spiritual life."
    No you just say, back in the dark ages when people needed direction, someone thought it would be a good idea if we invent a character that made us all (god) and if you're nice to each other you'll see him when you die. Kids will believe that. They believe in Father Christmas so telling them that twaddle will be... childs play.

ReputationRep:
    :confused:

no, thats called teaching. religious influence is letting authority figures display religious symbols that kids can look up to as a 'good example'. obviously theres nothing wrong with having muslim teachers, but letting them wear head scarves does seem to violate the idea that kids should be free to form their own ideas about which religion (or lack of one) is right for them.
    edders on the profiles what do referrals mean?

ReputationRep:
    yep, i agree....................... if they dont want us to learn and be inspired by religion, they shud ban R.E

ReputationRep:
    how about sportsmen; should they conceal their religions too (although, few sportsmen seem to be actively religious)? kids look up to them too! and in films and games, we all know how children follow what they see on tv(!)

seriously though, do you think many children will want to convert religion because they saw their teacher wearing a headscarf?

i reckon its quite unlikely.

in anycase, children that are younger (primary school age) usually a) have a religion [from home] b) don't care about religion

older children usually a)have a religion [from home] b)can choose themselves c)don't care about religion.

ReputationRep:
    edders on the profiles what do referrals mean?
    http://www.uk-learning.net/showthread.php?t=10068
    you can always do searches for such questions eric

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 15, 2003
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.