Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Which category do I fall into? :confused:
    This is my situation: I was born in England. When I was nine my family and I moved to the US because of my dad's job, and we have lived there ever since.

    I assumed that because I am not a resident of the UK, I would have to pay overseas fees. However, I noticed a section that said something like "if you are unable to fufill the residential requirements because of the job of a spouse/parent, you are entititled to pay home tuition fees". It didn't say exactly that, but it was something to that effect. Has anyone else ever heard of this?

    I know that there are many websites and guides available online that may be able to answer this, but honestly I have looked through quite a few and I'm still not sure what group I am in.
    I have a feeling that I'm going to have to pay overseas fees, and I'm just looking for some way to pay less :rolleyes:

    yep thats absolutely true! i used to live in singapore and people who'd lived there their entire lives because of their parents jobs and still got home status. go to this link, for the british council USA to check: http://www.britishcouncil.org/usa-ed...fee-status.htm here it says you get home status if, "you would have been living in the EEA (for EU nationals) or UK (for non-EU nationals) for the three years immediately before the start of the course if you, your spouse or parents had not been temporarily employed outside the EEA or UK for all or part of the three year period"
    (see for example the definitions given by bristol: http://www.bris.ac.uk/academicregistry/fees/class.html)
    hope that helps!

    I would say it depends on what they define as temporarily abroad because of employment.

    These departments have adjudicator guides that give these definitions. It's like satisfying the 'habitually resident' rule. A UK national who returns to this country after a prolonged period abroad from an area outside the EU, and who intends to remain here for a limited period can be considered 'habitually resident' if they are here for at least three months. You won't see that in the advice given to people normally - it's only available to those making the decisions on entitlement.

    Hey yawn-as another Sudany (i assume) maybe youl know my situation--lived in Saudi and then UK since i was 6-now im 16-i've been resident in UK for 10 years, but i have sudany passport--am i a home or internation student?

    Home student
The home of Results and Clearing


people online now


students helped last year
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course


Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.