Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Written by a friend of mine who has just had his interivew at Cambridge. After having talked to a few candidates, he diagnosed himself "PISsed". To find out more about PIS (Post Interview Syndrome), please the read the following:

Post Interview Syndrome
    By Dr Nelson Ecks
    Symptoms

Disordered sleep patterns are something a typical patient would experience shortly after the interview at Oxbridge. Mainly due to the building up of nervousness which has been residing within the sub consciousness of the brain before the execution of the interviews. This symptom usually last 2 to 5 days depends on the state of mind of the candidate and it is experienced by a large number of candidates of all ability levels. Unlike that of Pre-Interview Syndrome, recovery of such mental illness is already underway when the candidate walked out of his/her last interview. Apart from the disturbed sleeping patterns, some candidates may also experience the loss of appetite. In such case, the candidate could consume as little as half of what’s the normal amount for a healthy diet.

In the more severe cases of PIS, patients may also experience mild depression. Typical symptom in such case would be the thought of revisiting the interviews situation repeatedly. If this happens, the chance of recovery would be largely depend on the patient. In general, a typical patient would go through a very delicate stage of which all possible aggravating activities should be avoided and studies stopped. However, in case of accidental contact with such activities, the patient may experience magnified negative emotions. Thus the depression that the patient experience aggravates, eventually, professional help has to be called, which will result in the patient being taken into care.

In the late stage of this disorder, the patient may experience hallucination related to the interviews. He/She may also develop thoughts of committing suicide or intentions of murdering the interviewers. In such case, the doctors would refer to the patient as a “PISsed” patient, and it will result in the patient being taken into confinement for further treatment.

Treatment

Treatments for this mental disorder are yet to be developed. To cure a patient via medical route under current situation is almost impossible. However, such condition is not incurable. Taking a long break from interviews has been proven to have the best result. Other alternatives available include watching sitcoms and reading romantic novels. The principle behind this therapy is to distract the patient from concentrating too much thought on the interviews. Thus stops the patient from constantly feeling unhappy.

I hope you have found the above article both useful and informative. However this is not something specifically directed towards Oxbridge candidates. This is something my friend think all top univeristy candidates should be aware of. So make yourselves happy and keep away from PIS.

ReputationRep:
    my comment was funny. this sucks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TK0)
    my comment was funny. this sucks
    what was your comment again?

ReputationRep:
    this is funny......i think im gonna suffer from it tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tina)
    this is funny......i think im gonna suffer from it tho
    4 out of 5 interviewees suffer from this disorder. So don't worry too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camford)
    4 out of 5 interviewees suffer from this disorder. So don't worry too much.
    ye im tryin to just forget abt it now....btu everyone asks how it went!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tina)
    It doesn't matter how you think it went sometimes, but what the interviewer thinks. Last year, my friend had a cambridge interview, and he thought that he had done real bad in it, but he was accepted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    It doesn't matter how you think it went sometimes, but what the interviewer thinks. Last year, my friend had a cambridge interview, and he thought that he had done real bad in it, but he was accepted.
    yes true....and sometimes u might be really good but others were just better.....which is wat my main concern is...the competition is crazy! ohhhhh ive had a very stressful time since september id say!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tina)
    em... Of course people ask you about the interview. On the assumption that you are good, then you'll have 50% chance of getting in; on the assumption that you are bad, then you'll have 80% chance of suffering from PIS. However, more research into the long term effect of such mental disorder needs to be carried out in order to deteremine its real nature.

Thanks for your comment.

ReputationRep:
    I do actually sometimes find myself considering murdering my interviewers. Hm.

*creepy sidewards-head distant staring*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    I do actually sometimes find myself considering murdering my interviewers. Hm.

*creepy sidewards-head distant staring*
    *creeps sideways*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    *creeps sideways*
    I wonder if I should let Cambridge know about this...

ReputationRep:
    Well, I certainly keep revisiting the interviews in my head and feeling very annoyed for not saying things that i should have etc! arghhhh.

ReputationRep:
    eeek..... i have that too..... the interview was so surreal it didnt feel i was in there, but now i cant stop thinking bout it either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    I think it's WORSE that my interviewers at cam were sooo nice...i wasn't sure if it was me in general that they were warming to or if they were just genuinely nice people. I think in some ways it would have been BETTER if they were horrible people who i had managed to win over with my charm and intelligence - instead i have absolutely no clue whether or not i stand a chance of acceptance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace)
    I think it's WORSE that my interviewers at cam were sooo nice...i wasn't sure if it was me in general that they were warming to or if they were just genuinely nice people. I think in some ways it would have been BETTER if they were horrible people who i had managed to win over with my charm and intelligence - instead i have absolutely no clue whether or not i stand a chance of acceptance!
    i dunno if this helps but my friend had his medicine interview at sheffield and he said the interviewers were so horrible and made him feel incredibly stupid. he was certain he was going to be rejected and was like 'if they're all that horrid i don't want to go anyway'. they have now accepted him with an offer of ABB which is so low for medicine, but he still says he doesn't want to go because the people there are nasty...

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    i dunno if this helps but my friend had his medicine interview at sheffield and he said the interviewers were so horrible and made him feel incredibly stupid. he was certain he was going to be rejected and was like 'if they're all that horrid i don't want to go anyway'. they have now accepted him with an offer of ABB which is so low for medicine, but he still says he doesn't want to go because the people there are nasty...

lou xxx
    It is really hard to say what the interviewers are looking for in a student. Teachability is one possibility. So long as you weren't stubborn at the interview and have shown some raw talent, then chances are that you will be accepted. I guess, teachability and raw talent.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I had a very short lived case of this. By the time I got home (4 hour journey) it was gone. Whatever will be will be and there's no point worrrying about it now.

Did you know that some people are worriers - its in their genes?

So if you don't worry - don't worry, which you wont anyway.

If you do worry - you can't do anything about worrying, so you might as well not worry, except you can't stop worrying!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by androidkiller)
    Yeah, I had a very short lived case of this. By the time I got home (4 hour journey) it was gone. Whatever will be will be and there's no point worrrying about it now.

Did you know that some people are worriers - its in their genes?

So if you don't worry - don't worry, which you wont anyway.

If you do worry - you can't do anything about worrying, so you might as well not worry, except you can't stop worrying!
    I suppose this is true. Will add to the updated paper in January along with the notes on some further observations.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.