Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by ecolier)

could well get 100UMS
    its funny how people can already say that. you dont have the mark scheme do you :eek: ..you might have made the slightest of errors (method marks maybe).

ReputationRep:
    I made lots of mistakes on C1, yes I know C1!
    I was worrying between january and march thinking I was gonna get low 80 and I was like, I need 90+ this is C1! And the exam is easy so the grade boundaries were bound to be high. In the end I got 96UMS. I was shocked. I bodged up at least 2 parts of 1 question and I think I made a few other errors, so don't let small errors worry you too much.

ReputationRep:
    can anyone explain 6 a,b found it really hard ended up scrapping first answer and then doing it again. what direction was the force of the wall on A? usually its on an inclined plane which is much less confusing found it really hard what were they thinking. thought m2 was an easy module until this paper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zuber)
    you think its that low for 100UMS?
    i've been told the formula for 100UMS = 3a-2b
    and usually a = b+7
    so, b+21=70
    so b=49 and a=56??? (out of 75)
    a bit low if you ask me
    you're formula seems to work, but there is a much easier way of working it out.

If you look at the june 2002 examiner's report, it says that the 100 UMS boundary is the difference between the A and B boundaries, multiplied by 2 and then added to the A grade boundary.

ReputationRep:
    hey...all this stuff about 100UMS..is it that great??....all i want is my 480 out of 600, who cares if u get 100 or whatever, all of our certficates will look the same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ecolier)
    Also, for the acceleration question, some of my mates got -36i+8j, whereas the answer I got is 39.6, I think I m right? since the question asked for Magnitude
    It didn't ask for magnitude! Just the acceleration, which is a vector.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo12345)
    hey...all this stuff about 100UMS..is it that great??....all i want is my 480 out of 600, who cares if u get 100 or whatever, all of our certficates will look the same

Well said ....I would think 90 UMS and up is excellent, and leaves a very nice cushion going into other exams...if your average is around 80 then the pressure is really on if one wants to get an A grade

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KAISER_MOLE)
    Well said ....I would think 90 UMS and up is excellent, and leaves a very nice cushion going into other exams...if your average is around 80 then the pressure is really on if one wants to get an A grade

You speak tooo early...

If you're applying for Cam (which i assume you are) they look at your UMS marks.. for every module....

Otherwise.. yes.. it doesn' really matter.. all i want is my A and i'll be one happy bunny!

ReputationRep:
    the thing is most ppl taking M2 have already applied to uni, apart from those doing furthur maths, so to the majority...who cares about 100 UMS, unless u reckon u got 100% raw marks in each exam to get some sort of certificate from edexcel for best in the country or whatever....i think they still do that

ReputationRep:
    the thing is most ppl taking M2 have already applied to uni, apart from those doing furthur maths, so to the majority...who cares about 100 UMS, unless u reckon u got 100% raw marks in each exam to get some sort of certificate from edexcel for best in the country or whatever....i think they still do that

They probably do... They still have the top 5 in the courntry stuff for GCSE so i'm sure they have it in A levels..

And like i said.. i don't care abuot what i got in the module.. as long as overall.. i get an A

ReputationRep:
    Well if Cambridge want to they can go right ahead... :p: ....ought to be getting over 570 for normal maths if all goes well with C4, and that is with sticking a possible low M2 UMS in there so that FM is of a similar level, with 3 high scores on applied modules.

But in the end it really doesn't matter, nothing does much, things are exaggerated

ReputationRep:
    I want 100 ums as back up for low scores in P4 P5 M4.

Just thinking though... You can have M2 in further maths and M3 in normal maths cant you?

ReputationRep:
    hey...davedave...i didnt know u could use your M2 UMS towards your furthur maths marks....well depends which ones u counting in your furthur maths ones....

ReputationRep:
    what would you say would be better. putting my high applied modules in further, and my lower ones in normal maths if i can, so i get two Bs maybe, or say an A and a C respectivley (not currently confident about Further Pure)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt.forster)
    what would you say would be better. putting my high applied modules in further, and my lower ones in normal maths if i can, so i get two Bs maybe, or say an A and a C respectivley (not currently confident about Further Pure)
    i thought the exam board chose which go in maths/futher maths?
    I thought the policy was, the exam board put certain modules in maths giving you the lowest UMS but the highest grade possible and the rest in further maths??

ReputationRep:
    oh rite, i was under the impression that we could mix and match modules, providing that we did the required ones (Core, Further Pure) we could choice as to which accounted for what. i suppose i can try and find it in the specification.
    ah well i suppose i will wait untill august to moan about crappy exams now. why do i always get the mean applied modules first time round, ie, m1 in jan, d1 june, and though m2 today wasnt too bad, i really screwed up the last question, think i will have got 2/15 for that, + dodgy random mistakes, like sum of the masses of the wire to be 30, lol, argh, stupid lack of mental arithmatics

ReputationRep:
    Since when did 2/3 = 4/9 o___________0
    errrm..sorry for dat...dunno wt i was thinkin
    *feels stupid*
    :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Widowmaker)
    i thought the exam board chose which go in maths/futher maths?
    I thought the policy was, the exam board put certain modules in maths giving you the lowest UMS but the highest grade possible and the rest in further maths??
    That is correct. The modules are assigned in a manner which is most beneficial to the student.

However, if you have a fair idea of your performance, you can estimate which modules will count where to have a good idea of how you need to do in the remaining exams.

ReputationRep:
    what do u expect the grade boundaires will be?!!?!?!?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ossoss87)
    what do u expect the grade boundaires will be?!!?!?!?!
    i would guess 58 - A, 51 - B, 44 - C, 38 - D, 32 - E
    (out of 75 of course)
    which means 72 for 100UMS!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 26, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.