Turn on thread page Beta

Thunderstorms - necessary to switch computer off? watch

ReputationRep:
    Is it necessary to switch your computer off during a thunderstorm?

ReputationRep:
    i don't :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dupoynt)
    i don't :p:
    I know a lot of people don't, I'm just worried about my computer dying again... there was a phase when the battery died and it used to switch itself off without going through the proper shutting down process, and then eventually there reached a point where I couldn't even boot it up again! So I'm afraid of there being a power cut or something and that happening again. Though I did buy a new battery, hmm. Maybe I should just disconnect from the power supply and run it off the battery?

OMG HUGE clap of thunder :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    my dial up got hit by lightening on this computer before. that made it really slow lol.

ReputationRep:
    I do.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, it needs to be turned off. well it dont, but it could be a way to get you to disappear :p: only joking :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LPK)
    yeah, it needs to be turned off. well it dont, but it could be a way to get you to disappear :p: only joking :p:
    :bawling:!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eeyore)
    :bawling:!
    I know!! I forgot to add the penguin smilie

:penguin:

:hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LPK)
    I know!! I forgot to add the penguin smilie

:hugs:

Hmmm :p:

Is anyone allowed to use that smilie then? :eek:

I should be revising

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm :p:

Is anyone allowed to use that smilie then? :eek:

I should be revising
    Of course they can, but it's still mine :evil:

ReputationRep:
    It's not necessary although it won't take much for your modem to get fried. A nearby lightning strike will be more than enough. If the spike caused travels elsewhere in your computer then you won't ever need to worry about whether to turn it off again. I know a number of people who have had their computers permanently turned off by using them in a storm.

My advice... turn it off AND remover the modem from the telephone socket.

ReputationRep:
    umm. about a month ago we had an electric storm. i remember watching a bolt of lightning hit a transformer box at the back of the college 100 yards from my house, and then picking myself up off the floor of my bedroom. the power thingy on my pc had fried and needed replacing, but other than that it was and still is fine. the only strange thing was my phone, which was flat and in my pocket at the time was fully charged when i went to put it on charge when electricity came back on...

ReputationRep:
    No need to switch off the computer. I would buy a surge protector to protect the computer and other electronics from being burnt from a thunderstorm and stuff like that. http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...746238-2979668

ReputationRep:
    we had a huge lightning strom and it hit the house a while back. the computer was on and the monitor blew up.id advise ya to turn it off!

its damn scary!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    No need to switch off the computer. I would buy a surge protector to protect the computer and other electronics from being burnt from a thunderstorm and stuff like that. http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...746238-2979668
    if u do get a surge it will probably just blow the power unit, which is like £6... on ur compueter nyway, ur printer, scanner, screen, and speakers would be screwed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amo1)
    if u do get a surge it will probably just blow the power unit, which is like £6... on ur compueter nyway, ur printer, scanner, screen, and speakers would be screwed
    :eek: I thought the power surge would protect these kinds of disasters.

ReputationRep:
    If you have a lightning strike, your RCD Breakers will probably shut off but that is unlikely to give you full protection because its such a huge surge. The best thing you can do is to turn your computer off and disconnect the power and any networking cables that connect to a phone line - ie routers, modem cables etc. If your power goes off while your computer is writing to your Hard Drive, you could lose data so its advisable to power things down until the storm has passed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    just the fact that my monitor blew up proves it dosent....(it was just a mild storm too) it had all the adiquate safty things too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    Only if the supply to the speakers etc. are also wired through the surge protector. Besides, if the storm's close and hits, hardly any surge protectors on the planet would prevent damage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cazzi_Bear)
    just the fact that my monitor blew up proves it dosent....(it was just a mild storm too) it had all the adiquate safty things too.
    Hehe, it may have been a mild storm but lightning is still lightning! Don't get complacent is the moral of this story. Just because its not an apocalyptic lightning storn doesn't mean that your computer and other things are safe! :rolleyes:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.