Turn on thread page Beta

Thunderstorms - necessary to switch computer off? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    Only if the supply to the speakers etc. are also wired through the surge protector. Besides, if the storm's close and hits, hardly any surge protectors on the planet would prevent damage.
    Indeed... if you want to invest in a surge protector - buy a Belkin product - they're certainly an investment but they give insurance cover to the value of £5000 - £20000 depending on the product you buy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Hehe, it may have been a mild storm but lightning is still lightning! Don't get complacent is the moral of this story. Just because its not an apocalyptic lightning storn doesn't mean that your computer and other things are safe! :rolleyes:
    i never thought they were! as for the comp blowing up, we were unaware there was even a storm untill it did.

ReputationRep:
    Play it safe, off line for an hour is better than £600 for a new laptop......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cazzi_Bear)
    i never thought they were! as for the comp blowing up, we were unaware there was even a storm untill it did.
    Thats unfortunate Storms have to start somewhere though...

ReputationRep:
    we've had a storm all morning and it doesnt seem to be going away.. im still using the computer though as it doesnt sound like its that close anyways and besides my mum was using the computer earlier when the thunder started so if she can.. i can :p: :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amo1)
    if u do get a surge it will probably just blow the power unit, which is like £6... on ur compueter nyway, ur printer, scanner, screen, and speakers would be screwed

Power supply units are far more than £6 each.

ReputationRep:
    It should be... mine did it for me
    THUNDER!! Lighting!! *Computer turns off* Damn

ReputationRep:
    What! I had no idea that it could damage your computer. Right no more risking it from now on.

ReputationRep:
    Thunderstorms? Lol, it's nice and sunny here. ALthough it was raining a bit earlier

If you have a lightning strike, your RCD Breakers will probably shut off
    possibly. but an RCD is designed to disconnect the supply in the event of an earth fault. its not designed to proect against a spike or surge

(Original post by trev)
    No need to switch off the computer. I would buy a surge protector to protect the computer and other electronics from being burnt from a thunderstorm and stuff like that. http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...746238-2979668
    its a surge protector. it will NOT protect againt a lightning strike close by. it could stop a surge from doing damage, because the voltage isnt that high (only few thousand volts). get a lightning strike very close (mainly if your power is from overhead lines outside) then there is a chance it wont protect anything. the voltage will arc accross the gap since its not big enough to stop it

best thing to do if its really bad wether is unplug everything and move them away from sockets incase it does arc. very unlikely tho

if the wether is really bad here i normally run from UPS for a while. altho my comp eventually gets its power after 3/4 surge protectors

ReputationRep:
    If the plug has a surge protector you don't

(Original post by OMGWTF)
    If the plug has a surge protector you don't
    there is a difference between surge and spike. if lightning hits a power line closeby it can put about 800,000 volts (can be more. probably be less) thru the power lines. a surge protector cannot stop this. it cant make a gap big enough to stop the power

just to compare that, the really tall pylons have about 400,000V going thru. seen the size of the insulators? your never gonna get that distance in a plug

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eeyore)
    Is it necessary to switch your computer off during a thunderstorm?
    no. it should be covered under your house insurance anyway.

(Original post by Lauren)
    wether its covered or not has nothing to do with wether a spike will get your comp or not.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed... the very reason that lightning exists is because it creates a p.d. from the clouds to earth that is greater than the permittivity of the air. The air is literally split apart by the discharge - this is what causes thunder. If the discharge can make it through what? 10 km of air... it can jump a 2 cm gap in a plug.

If you're really paranoid about lightning, just erect a 300m high metal lightning rod in your back garden (make sure you earth it properly though)

ReputationRep:
    Unlikely... it would probably count as one of these stupid "Acts Of God" a very common clause in insurance policies - basically indemnifying the insurance company of responsibility to pay if your house gets flooded etc. Besides... No amount of insurance can rescue your nuked hard drive.

ReputationRep:
    Unlikely... it would probably count as one of these stupid "Acts Of God" a very common clause in insurance policies - basically indemnifying the insurance company of responsibility to pay if your house gets flooded etc. Besides... No amount of insurance can rescue your nuked hard drive.
    the insurance paid when my house got flooded.

at any rate this is why you have lightning rods. the air isn't such a great conductor hence the lightning will go into the highest thing it can (preferably metal or another conductor eg doped graphite).

edit: "acts of god"? that's a load of *******s really.

ReputationRep:
    covered by house insurance?? WOW - what insurance you got?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrazyChemist)
    covered by house insurance?? WOW - what insurance you got?
    i dont know, it's my parents house and i dont live there any more. all i know is when i was having hysterics running round my house knee deep in skanky water on the phone to my family (who were handily on holiday the *******s), they said "don't worry, the insurance will pay for it" and sure enough, we got pretty new floors, and walls, etc, and we didn't have to pay for it. my house flooded because the drains on the road were buggered; that was the council's fault, but it was definitely our insurance that paid.

at any rate this is why you have lightning rods. the air isn't such a great conductor hence the lightning will go into the highest thing it can (preferably metal or another conductor eg doped graphite).
    actually... itll go to anything....

its got just as much chance of going to something like wood as it does to metal. there was a program about this a few weeks ago

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.