Turn on thread page Beta

Thunderstorms - necessary to switch computer off? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrazyChemist)
    covered by house insurance?? WOW - what insurance you got?
    Uber-insurance probably... Acts of God are such a stupid clause. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MorbidAngel)
    actually... itll go to anything....

its got just as much chance of going to something like wood as it does to metal. there was a program about this a few weeks ago
    yes, but if it goes to metal it will just flow down into the ground. if it goes to a tree, the tree will set on fire or maybe blow up. hence metal is preferable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Uber-insurance probably... Acts of God are such a stupid clause. :mad:
    what if you don't believe in god? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    i dont know, it's my parents house and i dont live there any more. all i know is when i was having hysterics running round my house knee deep in skanky water on the phone to my family (who were handily on holiday the *******s), they said "don't worry, the insurance will pay for it" and sure enough, we got pretty new floors, and walls, etc, and we didn't have to pay for it. my house flooded because the drains on the road were buggered; that was the council's fault, but it was definitely our insurance that paid.
    Ah - council's fault, hence not act of god, not applicable to lighting strikes and no use as an example then.

ReputationRep:
    i dont know, it's my parents house and i dont live there any more. all i know is when i was having hysterics running round my house knee deep in skanky water on the phone to my family (who were handily on holiday the *******s), they said "don't worry, the insurance will pay for it" and sure enough, we got pretty new floors, and walls, etc, and we didn't have to pay for it. my house flooded because the drains on the road were buggered; that was the council's fault, but it was definitely our insurance that paid.
    That'd be why then... it was the councils negligence that caused the flood.

ReputationRep:
    what if you don't believe in god? :confused:
    Indeed... It sounds more spectacular than "freak weather event" though.

ReputationRep:
    it was also the rain's fault for raining so much it overflowed the drains. the drains were just normal drains and simply couldn't cope with the amount of rain (we got like 18 inches or something bloody stupid in about two hours).

ReputationRep:
    on the acts of god thing, there was once a guy that sued God for him tripping over on the pavement and breaking a few bones. Unfortunately, god couldn't attend in person so a preist or something stood in for him. Dunno what the outcome was - probably thrown out of court.

ReputationRep:
    it was also the rain's fault for raining so much it overflowed the drains. the drains were just normal drains and simply couldn't cope with the amount of rain (we got like 18 inches or something bloody stupid in about two hours).
    I think you can get flood coverage for house insurance.

ReputationRep:
    yes, but if it goes to metal it will just flow down into the ground. if it goes to a tree, the tree will set on fire or maybe blow up. hence metal is preferable
    Indeed. Electricity tries to take the path of least resistance. If a cloud needs to discharge, it will, and if a tree is there then it will go through the tree rather than take more effort to go around.

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can, but for the cost of the insurance... you might as well endure the trauma and pay for the damages yourself.

ReputationRep:
    i'm pretty sure we did have. we have good house insurance (probably because i used to live there and i was a bloody liability).

about the resistance/tree/metal thing. if there is the option of a tree or a metal rod, the lightning will go thru the metal rod. this is obvious, and what i meant before. if the tree is taller, it's nearer, so the electricity will go into the tree and make lots of explosions. that's why lightning rods are higher than anything else on the building. i'm looking at kings' college chapel right now which is the tallest part of kings', and the four things at the corners (the tallest bits) have all got lightning rods sticking up. so i'm safe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Yes you can, but for the cost of the insurance... you might as well endure the trauma and pay for the damages yourself.
    computer says noooooooo.

my whole house got flooded. that's *counts* nine or ten rooms (plus garage and store cupboard) that got flooded, the carpets/new wooden floors were ruined. all the furniture was ruined. the water was so high it got into my car!!!

ReputationRep:
    good point - if you are in somewhere with a lightning rod, you don't need to switch anything off i suppose...

true. but in most cases, the tree has better contact with earth than a metal rod in the ground, altho it will have a higher resistance than the metal.

and just because the tree might catch fire, doesnt mean the earth rod wont explode if its too thin or summit

ReputationRep:
    computer says noooooooo.

my whole house got flooded. that's *counts* nine or ten rooms (plus garage and store cupboard) that got flooded, the carpets/new wooden floors were ruined. all the furniture was ruined. the water was so high it got into my car!!!
    Y'know, I don't think I'll ever get a house not on a hill. That sounds like a nightmare.

Edit: Hang on, that's a hell of a house...

good point - if you are in somewhere with a lightning rod, you don't need to switch anything off i suppose...
    yes. yo do. you have even more reason to turn it off. all the earths on your appliances. computer, fridge etc. where are they connected? earth. and youve just directed more voltage closer to where you may have an earth rod (not that all houses have earth rods, but it can backfeed they the DNO's earth rods depending on how far from the substation you are)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MorbidAngel)
    yes. yo do. you have even more reason to turn it off. all the earths on your appliances. computer, fridge etc. where are they connected? earth. and youve just directed more voltage closer to where you may have an earth rod (not that all houses have earth rods, but it can backfeed they the DNO's earth rods depending on how far from the substation you are)
    really? Isn't the lightning rod insulated? If not, what's the point?

ReputationRep:
    Y'know, I don't think I'll ever get a house not on a hill. That sounds like a nightmare.

Edit: Hang on, that's a hell of a house...
    LOL live on a hill and you'll get struck by lightning.

what do u mean it's a hell of a house??!

edit: what's the point in a lightning rod if it doesn't stop lightning?!

ReputationRep:
    As a computer studies applicant, and Grade A Computer science student, I think I can safely say. TURN IT OFF! Our network at school recently got hit by lightening, very expensive and very time consuming to fix Luckily, we take back ups, but I bet you dont, so turn it off or you might loose everything (if it gets hit by lightning and you dont have a surge protector, you may not loose much data, but you will defo need a new computer)

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.