Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    *stumbles over trying to say that second word*

Ok so I'm sat in class currently, and we have to make a plan on that experiment. So if anyone knows anything about how to plan it then my friends and I would be extremly grateful for the help.

What equipment do we need?
    What actually happens in the experiment?
    How do you actually say the word?

ReputationRep:
    i know them haloalkanes not halogenalkanes... which makes it a bit easier

there is probably a million ways of making haloalkanes...

all i can think of is reacting HX (where X is the halogen, e.g. Br) with an alkene, for example ethene. this would give you the halogen bromoethane. i think this is electrophilic addition.

CH2=CH2 + HBr --> CH3CH2Br

also, you can form a haloalkane by reacting an alcohol with any halogen ion...
    for example, ethanol and hydrogen chloride (a source of Cl- ions). I think this is an example of nucleophilic substitution.

CH3CH2OH + Cl- --> CH3CH2Cl + OH-

perhaps you could write the second equation with HCl and forming water... but i perfer the ionic equation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revenged)
    also, you can form a haloalkane by reacting an alcohol with any halogen ion...
    for example, ethanol and hydrogen chloride (a source of Cl- ions). I think this is an example of nucleophilic substitution.

CH3CH2OH + Cl- --> CH3CH2Cl + OH-

perhaps you could write the second equation with HCl and forming water... but i perfer the ionic equation
    I don't think it reacts in that way
    If you want to convert alcohol into halogenoalkane, I thought you must use dry PCl5/ or P with I2 / or heat under reflux KBr with concentrated H2SO4?

ReputationRep:
    ok... sorry your right, it's actually

CH3CH2Cl + OH- --> CH3CH2OH + Cl-

Edit: i've never heard about what you said, it's not on the AQA course

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 24, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.