Self taught A Level (Sociology or Psychology)

Watch
puddleduck
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hello everyone,

I'm currently in year 11, and really want to read medicine (A100) at university. I'm going to take Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Philosophy at AS (at least), and a physics enrichment (AS over 2 years) but want to self teach myself another A Level, most likely to AS standard.

I want to self teach myself either sociology or psychology A (AQA) and was wondering about some stuff...

1) Do you have to have studied the subject for a year to take the exam?
2) Following on, do you think it would be possible to do a 'crash course' over the summer, then just revise during the year?
3) Would it be (honestly) acheivable to get high grade?

Thankyous

-Jemima
goldsilvy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
1) Nope.

2) Having studied Psychology at AS last year I have to say I might be a little bit challenging. Depends on each individual though, you might find it easier than I did.

3) As already said, depends. And what's a high grade? A? B?
fox_the_fix
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No
Yes (whether it's an official course or you just do a **** load over summer yourself I don't know)
Yes

Gl with medicine.
mathew551
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Why not just take all 5 AS levels?
puddleduck
Rep:
?
(Original post by mathew551)
Why not just take all 5 AS levels?
My school doesn't offer sociology or psychology.
puddleduck
Rep:
?
(Original post by goldsilvy)

3) As already said, depends. And what's a high grade? A? B?
Yeah, A*-B.
mathew551
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by puddleduck)
My school doesn't offer sociology or psychology.
Hmm. There are other things you could do apart from this.
ByronicHero
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You can easily get a high grade through self teaching yes.
confused1991
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You might struggle with some of the case studies in psychology without advice.

The subject also has quite specific Evaluation Techniques.

Finally a large amount of people did badly due to small mistakes this year and you might have the same problem without a teacher

Hope this helps
puddleduck
Rep:
?
(Original post by confused1991)
You might struggle with some of the case studies in psychology without advice.

The subject also has quite specific Evaluation Techniques.

Finally a large amount of people did badly due to small mistakes this year and you might have the same problem without a teacher

Hope this helps
Hmm. Would a CGP help? They're normally quite specific, despite the rubbish humour.
London271
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by puddleduck)

1) Do you have to have studied the subject for a year to take the exam?
2) Following on, do you think it would be possible to do a 'crash course' over the summer, then just revise during the year?
3) Would it be (honestly) acheivable to get high grade?
1) No, hardley anyone who takes Psycho/Socio take it at GCSE level.

2) Yes, why not? You must have the motivation though, if you dont have the motivation, you wont do well.

3) Depends. I self taught most of my A/AS Levels and got A grades for the majority. Sociology is suposedly easier than Psychology. I did AQA (A) A Level Psychology (self taught) and got an A, however it is deemed as a soft A Level, but I asure you it isnt. It was the hardest A Level I did! There is so much you have to learn, and there is a lot of exam tecnique to learn! I hated Psychology, it was hard, stressfull and boring!! AS was ok, but the jump from AS to A2 was HUGE!! There is a 40% fail rate for the A2 module papers (Old Spec). I urge you to buy the CGP guides, in AS I used them to revise and got a BBA, In A2 there wasnt a CGP so I got all my notes from the student room and got AAA. The A2 modules are more essay based so you can bluff your way through.

If you are thinking of taking Psychology make sure you take the AQA (A) Spec, its the most popular exam board, and there is a CGP guide specifically for it. If you are thinking of doing Sociology take it also with AQA. OCR/Edexcel are rubbish for these subjects!

Good Luck!
puddleduck
Rep:
?
(Original post by London271)
however it is deemed as a soft A Level, but I asure you it isnt. It was the hardest A Level I did! There is so much you have to learn, and there is a lot of exam tecnique to learn! I hated Psychology, it was hard, stressfull and boring!!
Yeah, that's why I want to self teach it, school reckons it's 'soft' so they won't let us take it
calliope78
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
To all that have commented - thank you for the helpful information. I am commenting on this thread because I am in a similar position of trying to decide whether to self-study an AS/A2 in psychology or pay a distance education course £360 to mark a few assignments. And presumably provide me with course materials.

I am intending to sit both the AS and A2 exams in May/June 2014 for a range of rather dull reasons. I'm not concerned regarding the level of work as I already have a BSc in Psychology and will simultanously be working towards an MSc. Though I appreciate I will need to make sure my responses only cover the A-level syllabus. My downfall (as far as I know!) is not knowing the UK school level education system so would appreciate people's input on the following questions:

1) Do the CGP books really cover all the course content required for the exams with sufficient detail? Are there any books/guides/materials those who have self-study A-level psychology would recommend as well or instead of?
2) I understand I can register as a private candidate with an exam centre, do I need to be affiliated with any college or school when I do this? Are there any other box-checking/form-filling things I may need to be aware of apart from paying for my place for the exams?

Many thanks in advance!
yeah_baby
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi I'm now in the process of self teaching myself the crime and deviance unit for A2 sociology I was taken out of the sociology class because I failed a mock but oh well will just have to prove that I can do it. Any help with what material will be useful would be of great help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (114)
15.53%
Uncertainty around my education (120)
16.35%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (70)
9.54%
Isolating with family (50)
6.81%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (28)
3.81%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (64)
8.72%
Loneliness (78)
10.63%
Financial worries (29)
3.95%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (65)
8.86%
Exposure to negative news/social media (47)
6.4%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (69)
9.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed