Is women learning self defence pointless? Watch

Hugh-Jackman
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Mainly because if attacked by a bloke they would still be pretty much helpless!

SHOOT!
there's too much love
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've met a few women who you would not want to mess with.
Hugh-Jackman
Rep:
?
(Original post by there's too much love)
I've met a few women who you would not want to mess with.
Well not including the scottish then!
nolongerhearthemusic
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm sure it would be for me.
there's too much love
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Hugh-Jackman)
Well not including the scottish then!
Scotland has women?
since when:confused:
The Referee
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Self defence training has prevented me being stabbed and ensured I was able to escape another attack - no, it's not useless.
Hugh-Jackman
Rep:
?
(Original post by The Referee)
Self defence training has prevented me being stabbed and ensured I was able to escape another attack - no, it's not useless.
Can you go into more detail of the attacks and what exactly you did please?
MittenKrust
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I found it weird that some unis and colleges and councils have womens self defence classes that are normally free but dont include mens self defense since I know loads of guys who cant stand up for themselves and get a kicking from men and women.
tinktinktinkerbell
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
tbf i could defend myself pretty well against a bloke

people look at females and automatically think weak, im sure as hell not a pussy lol
Chloeee02
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
*Feminist side comes out*
You really think females are that helpless? I've started kickboxing and I've seen black belt females who are probably a quarter of your size who could whip your arse a million times over.
Strength helps, but it can be built up - technique and speed accounts for many things.
So no, it's not pointless. What's the point in men learning self defence if they apparently already can defend themselves perfectly well?

It's also not just for self defence, it's for the fitness and fun too.

*Rant over*
SuicidalLemming
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Meh, it's been pretty helpful to me in certain circumstances..
MittenKrust
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
tbf i could defend myself pretty well against a bloke

people look at females and automatically think weak, im sure as hell not a pussy lol
Women are hard to describe as people either think they are timid and weak so need protecting then you get others who complain that they are just as tough as men, but then say they wouldnt walk the street alone at night incase a man jumped them.

Confusing.
pina.Love
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
are you just scared a woman is going to whoop your ass in public OP :lol:
MSB
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Scotland has women?
They're the ones with the shorter beards.
tinktinktinkerbell
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by MittenKrust)
Women are hard to describe as people either think they are timid and weak so need protecting then you get others who complain that they are just as tough as men, but then say they wouldnt walk the street alone at night incase a man jumped them.

Confusing.
see, im neither of those, i dont need protecting at all, in fact if a man tried to protect me i would tell him to get lost which ive said to my bf a couple of times nor do i care about walking the streets alone at night by myself lol
Hugh-Jackman
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chloeee02)
*Feminist side comes out*
You really think females are that helpless? I've started kickboxing and I've seen black belt females who are probably a quarter of your size who could whip your arse a million times over.
Strength helps, but it can be built up - technique and speed accounts for many things.
So no, it's not pointless. What's the point in men learning self defence if they apparently already can defend themselves perfectly well?

It's also not just for self defence, it's for the fitness and fun too.

*Rant over*
I seriously doubt they could 'whip my ass' though. I think all I'd need to do is land a half decent punch and they'd be on the deck. I've got a pretty damn good punch on me. Plus my reactions are pretty damn amazing as well and I'm pretty quick. I've never trained in fighting in my life, so I'm just going off assumptions, but I've had a few street fights and have never felt like I was going to get 'my ass whipped' even when outnumbered.
Hugh-Jackman
Rep:
?
(Original post by pina.Love)
are you just scared a woman is going to whoop your ass in public OP :lol:
nope, would be mega embarrassing though if it did happen.
thegoodthebadandtheTom
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Scotland has women?
Some say Scotsmen just "spring up out of holes" which of course is completely ridiculous!
pipsi
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I have done a little bit of self defence and would like to think i could have a bloody good go at fighting someone off if i were attacked, but thankfully i've never found myself in this situation so i don't know how i would do. I was taught a couple of things when i was in the TA which i think would be pretty useful. An ex boyfriend of mine taught me a couple of things when we were together, one of which was using the palm on my hand to push up hard on the nose of an attacker, i found out a while later that doing this can actually kill someone he didn't tell me that when he taught me that move. I'd only want to prevent an attacker from attacking me, not kill the guy.
O-Ren
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's definitely not pointless. If a man trained in combat attacked me I'd probably be helpless regardless of how much defence training I'd done, but the vast majority of rapists are not trained in combat. Most of them are physically and mentally unfit - one of the prevalent theories in the psychology world about what makes a man a rapist is that they are so inferior they can only pass on thier genes by raping. I would imagine that a man who is physically superior coudl jsut get sex the normal way, without resorting to violence.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (183)
61.2%
Yes- I don't like it (12)
4.01%
No- I want it (82)
27.42%
No- I don't want it (22)
7.36%

Watched Threads