Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay, Ain't done one of these threads before so lemme try...

Following on from that other thread - Is beating kids acceptable in this day and age?

Its simple chastisment of children. Its happened since the beginning of time and will continue into the future in every country in the world. You see, people like to see children as little adults with similar rights and so on nowadays but children are unable to reason as adults and if you slipper the kid and he learns, then what's the problem? He doesn't get mentally or physically scarred and learns his lesson.

I don't deny theres some parents that DO abuse their kids and I definitely don't agree with that but to assume that every loving parent who hits their child is some sort of criminal isn't right...

EDIT: Polls sorted now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seabiscuit)
    Okay, Ain't done one of these threads before so lemme try...

Following on from that other thread - Is Coporal Punishment acceptable in this day and age?

EDIT: I tried to make a poll and I don't know where its gone...
    Iron Maiden....

Cutting off of ears or limbs for mass murderers or serial rapists is more fitting

ReputationRep:
    Oh and I'm talking about parents beating their children - not teachers or anyone else. I believe that this sort of discipline should be a family affair...

ReputationRep:
    I think corporal punishment is good if its not overdone. i think a kid learns best from corporal punishment but there's no WAY I condone beating a kid, etc. a simple smack is good enough, and the reason for the punishment should be explained.

ReputationRep:
    You need to differentiate between 'beatings' and smacking in the poll. Light smacking is OK in my opinion, as it teaches the children a lesson and is for shock value rather than pain.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, smaking a kids isn't corporal punishment.

And we need to ask WHY people commite crimes.

ReputationRep:
    I think this is the wrong title. Corporal punishment to me means beating muggers or burglars, not smacking children. Totally different issues.

Disagree with both though.

ReputationRep:
    Kids, are effectively, like animals. This sounds harsh, but you cannot claim that small children have the intelligence to understand what is right or wrong. Therefore you need to provide clear messages - if you knowingly do something wrong on purpose, you will feel slight pain. If you do something well you will get a reward. These are terms that small children can easily understand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheVlad)
    Kids, are effectively, like animals. This sounds harsh, but you cannot claim that small children have the intelligence to understand what is right or wrong. Therefore you need to provide clear messages - if you knowingly do something wrong on purpose, you will feel slight pain. If you do something well you will get a reward. These are terms that small children can easily understand.
    Children are not like animals.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure.

I'll answer the question after I've studied Psychology.

ReputationRep:
    I think harming another person is one of the lowest forms of morality, and for a state to do it is more disgraceful.

ReputationRep:
    I believe that appropriate placed and explained to the child is effective and will leave no long lasting psychological damage. Longitudanal studies have shown that smacking for as the last punishment leaves no long term emotional damage.

However I do not condone the use of an instrument to smack a child and believe that it should be used as a last resort and not when the parent has lost control of their temper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inequality)
    We are all like animals. We respond to stimuli. Why do you not do wrong things? Because you know that there will be consequences for you. Children do not know this, they do not understand that people may be upset as they do not have a full grasp of emotions. Please, don't say that children have psychologies as sophisticated as adults', they do not.

Corporal punishment happens all the time in mammals. When a cat has kittens that are misbehaving or doing something dangerous she will give them a light smack with her paw or a bite.

ReputationRep:
    We are all like animals. We respond to stimuli. Why do you not do wrong things? Because you know that there will be consequences for you. Children do not know this, they do not understand that people may be upset as they do not have a full grasp of emotions. Please, don't say that children have psychologies as sophisticated as adults', they do not.

Corporal punishment happens all the time in mammals. When a cat has kittens that are misbehaving or doing something dangerous she will give them a light smack with her paw or a bite.
    Children don't have psychologies as sophisticated as adults, but I think they are more sophisticated than animals. Pain should only be inflicted as a last resort. I was never smacked, and I don't think I'm any the worse for it.

ReputationRep:
    Many others have been smacked and are no worse for it. Therefore there is no argument for banning it.

However it is extremely effective at controlling behaviour if used carefully and as you say as a last result and I would encourage people to smack their children. I wouldn't however dream of telling them to, just as people against this form of punishment should not dream of telling parents not to.

ReputationRep:
    Smacking a child is right. That way a child learns to differenciate between what is right and what is wrong. Of course it should only be used if needed, and it shouldn't descend into abuse, but I see no harm in smacking if administered by a responsible parent/adult.

ReputationRep:
    Children are animals, so are adults!

I ticked yes, I don't think it's the best way of teaching right and wrong, or taking responsibility, but it probably is the best way of getting a child to go along with your idea of right and wrong. It's a convenient and simple measure, perhaps more suited to simple parents and simple children.

Usually the argument against smacking includes an 'is it OK to smack adults then?' element. The answer to that is yes - for the same reasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArthurOliver)
    Children are animals, so are adults!
    I'm not talking about animals in the dictionary sense. By animal, TheVlad was comparing children to dogs or cats, as you could well see.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not talking about animals in the dictionary sense. By animal, TheVlad was comparing children to dogs or cats, as you could well see.
    More like monkeys.

ReputationRep:
    More like monkeys.
    Ok sorry. Any species in particular?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 27, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.