Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inequality)
    Ok sorry. Any species in particular?
    One of the more intelligent ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheVlad)
    One of the more intelligent ones.
    Ok, shall we agree on chimps then, and possibly very clever Gorillas?

ReputationRep:
    Fine by me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Waddell)
    Smacking a child is right. That way a child learns to differenciate between what is right and what is wrong. Of course it should only be used if needed, and it shouldn't descend into abuse, but I see no harm in smacking if administered by a responsible parent/adult.
    but corporal punishment isn't just smacking, using the cane used to be quite popular and in the long run it causes more problems that it solves. i.e. children learn violence is acceptable when you want to get your way.

ReputationRep:
    i.e. children learn violence is acceptable when you want to get your way.
    Nope. It teaches kids that mummy and daddy are VERY upset with you and most good parents make sure the kid knows why he is being punished in this way. Its definitely not Grevious Bodily Harm and for the government to get involved in matters like disciplining kids - is a very bad idea.

(Changing the title)

ReputationRep:
    it depends on the crime whether coporal punishment is ok or not for some thing then it is others it isn't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trish xx)
    it depends on the crime whether coporal punishment is ok or not for some thing then it is others it isn't
    Crime? This discussion is about children.

ReputationRep:
    i havnt finished reading yet give me a break im not with it!! lol

ReputationRep:
    When you get smacked in the head by your father when ure less thatn 10 years old, you would go back to think he was wrong and it overall hurts your feelings. This leads to resentment, which is not very good

ReputationRep:
    Corporal punishment is the physical beating of a child by someone in authority to maintain discipline. Personally I taught in schools at a time when corporal punishment wasn't only allowed but also regularly practised. There was one sicko who used to come into the staffroom and brag about how many kids he'd beaten that day. I can honestly say that in over 20 years of teaching I never hit a kid. It was clear to those of us who were younger teacher's then that it was those who were unable to keep order who used to resort to this brutality. Said more about them than about the kids. I received corporal punishment when I was at school and all it did was to enourage the rebeliousness in me. Look at any punishment book from the 60's or 70's and the same names re-occur for the same offences so it wasn't effective as a means of changing behaviour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seabiscuit)
    Nope. It teaches kids that mummy and daddy are VERY upset with you and most good parents make sure the kid knows why he is being punished in this way. Its definitely not Grevious Bodily Harm and for the government to get involved in matters like disciplining kids - is a very bad idea.

(Changing the title)
    Does this mean that it was a bad idea for governments not to be involved in stopping children being sent down the mines or up chimneys? Or maybe they shouldn't have acted to stop slavery?

It is a responsibility of governments to protect all people of the country, and guess what Seabiscuit, that involves protecting children from institutionalised beating. And from the excesses of parents. It's not all sweetness and light for lots of kids in this country. I was born in a tough area and taught for twenty odd years in inner city areas where there were fantastic parents, but there were also wonderful kids who could do without people justifying the beatings they got.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 27, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.