Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by violet)
    I have 1 day to learn it all
    i only started learning yesterday! its gonna be tough to get it all learnt this weekend and monday!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CogitoErgoSum)
    why?? its not till tuesday!!
    Because I have to learn trends today, a whole maths module tomorrow and Biochem on Monday.. unfairness!

ReputationRep:
    that is unfair!!!!! ouch! ive just got the 2 chem modules left, then freedom!

ReputationRep:
    Lucky!
    I think I should go finish learning trends now..!

ReputationRep:
    Lucky!
    I think I should go finish learning trends now..!

good luck with it all!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Rahh, I can do the first 3 chapters but the last 2... eugh!

ReputationRep:
    Question: Do we need to know how to draw the dissacharides used in energy storage i.e. Lactose, Trehelose and Sucrose. I know what there made off but drawing them ill probably make some careless errors?

Thanks very much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redeyejedi)
    Question: Do we need to know how to draw the dissacharides used in energy storage i.e. Lactose, Trehelose and Sucrose. I know what there made off but drawing them ill probably make some careless errors?

Thanks very much
    i bloody well hope not!

ReputationRep:
    Ive seen quite a few questions in past papers where you have to explain why certain molecules are soluble in water or an organinc solvent, e.g. why triglycerides are soluble in hexane, and why glucose is soluble in water. Make sure you know all of this kind of stuff (which bonds form in the solvent etc.) because a question of solubility is likely to come up....it has in all the other years!

ReputationRep:
    I just realised how much this is to learn!
    And the exam is only 50 minutes, which means they test you on like nothing!
    I hate exams like this.. I always seem to concentrate on the stuff that's not in the exam and get tested on the stuff I only skim though, meh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jayrox)
    i only started learning yesterday! its gonna be tough to get it all learnt this weekend and monday!
    your lucky. i have from 4pm monday to learn biochem and t+p for tuesday's exam.

ReputationRep:
    Are these notes right? Just took them from the markscheme but merged different ones together:

On complete oxidation, lipids release more energy per gramme than carbohydrates
    Energy comes from complete oxidation of C and H to CO2 and H2O
    Energy released through formation of O to H and C to O bonds
    Carbohydrates already partly oxidised – not lipids
    Lipids contain higher proportion of H to C

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Chueco)
    your lucky. i have from 4pm monday to learn biochem and t+p for tuesday's exam.
    ouch man! i got exams tommorow though :mad: so my monday isnt gonna be much use.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I don't have a biochemistry text book, as our school only had enough for those who don't do biology as well, so i know a lot of it from foundation biology, but there is a few extra bits to the syllabus so if anyone could help me with;

the enzyme and acid hydrolysis of the glycosidic linkage

comparison of the solubilities of monosaccharides and polysaccharides in water, in terms of hydrogen bonding

the structure of polysaccharides in terms of their glycosidic links

thankyou x

ReputationRep:
    Firstly can i just say its absolutely disgraceful that your school didnt provide you with a Biochemistry text book, as AS-Biochemistry (from Biology is somewhat diffrent i.e. much easier) and i do feel sorry for you!

[QUOTE]comparison of the solubilities of monosaccharides and polysaccharides in water, in terms of hydrogen bonding[QUOTE]

Right:

Glucose and Dissacharides = very soluable due to a large number of -OH groups with alot of exposure to water - Important as it allows these molecules to be transported.

Cellulose - Majority of -OH bonds involved in H-Bonds in microfibrils on the Inside of the Microfibril. Therefore few -OH exposed to water hence no H-Bonds.
    BETA 1-4 Glycosidic links

Starch - Branched molecule (amylopectin) = not soluable
    Alpha 1-4 glycosidic links in the straight bit and Alpha 1-6 in the branches
    straight chain (amylose) = not very soluable.
    Alpha1-4 glycosidic links

Glycogen - Not soluable because its a 'Branched molecule'
    - Alpha 1-4 glycosidic links and Alpha 1-6 glycosidic links

You dont need to know anything about enzyme hydrolysis really, but with acid hydrolysis remember it needs to be heated to 70 degrees centigrde with 1mol dm-3 HCL to break down dissacharide into monosaccharide.

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou, yeah i know its quite bad!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chocolatefudge)
    Effect of concentrations
    Enzyme activity directly proportional to enzyme concentration

Increase substrate concentration, increase rate of reaction until Vmax
    Enzyme molecules saturated and all active sites are being used
    Is that meant to be 'Enzyme activity directly proportional to substrate concentration' or is enzyme right?

ReputationRep:
    Meh, the Jan 05 paper was quite hard compared to others.

ReputationRep:
    Meh, the Jan 05 paper was quite hard compared to others.
    Jan 05 blew! i would of failed. :mad: had some dodgy questions

ReputationRep:
    lots about HCl and the carbohydrate chapter.
    I don't any of the essays either.. except for that one about secondary and tertiary structure in June 04 I think.. That was the only one I bothered attempting.. I have to do all the rest tonight!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 27, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.