Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've recently got myself an office job lined up for 4 days after I finish my A-Levels, right up until September 15th when I go off to university. Simply because I need to save up for uni. I dunno whether I've made the right choice. There goes my 'long trouble-free golden summer' as I enter the world of work. I won't be able to party/drink on weeknights and Its going to suck. Alot of my mates haven't got 9-5 5 days a week job like I have...

What are other people doing about jobs this summer? Do you feel the need to save for the expense of uni? Or would you rather exploit the freedom of the 'last' summer by partying and celebrating all summer-long? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by captainpoohat)
    I've recently got myself an office job lined up for 4 days after I finish my A-Levels, right up until September 15th when I go off to university. Simply because I need to save up for uni. I dunno whether I've made the right choice. There goes my 'long trouble-free golden summer' as I enter the world of work. I won't be able to party/drink on weeknights and Its going to suck. Alot of my mates haven't got 9-5 5 days a week job like I have...

What are other people doing about jobs this summer? Do you feel the need to save for the expense of uni? Or would you rather exploit the freedom of the 'last' summer by partying and celebrating all summer-long? :confused:
    I worked last Summer for 8 weeks full time 9 to 5.30 and Thursday was my day off, was in every Saturday BUT when I saw that wage slip at the end of the month it was all worthwile plus it was a laugh.... at times! This Summer if I get a job lined up for September I'm just gonna work enough to finance myself through the Summer e.g. just work 3 days a week.

ReputationRep:
    I would work part time so you could enjoy your summer with your friends before going off to university. Try working from 7 or 8 to 12 or 3 pm, then you get the late afternoon and night to party or do some other stuff. In addition, if you work full time at least you can go out during the weekends.

I'm planning to work full time (5 days), and going out with my friends during the weekends. I want to work full time as I want to purchase a laptop, which costs a lot. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'm just gonna keep my part-time job, doing 9 hours a week. Maybe some overtime if I can be bothered. I'm going away for three weeks anyway so I couldnt work full time even if I wanted to!

ReputationRep:
    My last job was 8 weeks working at Tesco on the checkouts for 3 days a week. God, I hated that job, I have had a fear of the General Public instilled in me every since. I would like to get another job (full time), but anyting involving people is out of the question. I just want a nice and peaceful office job, or maybe I could work from home over the net, anyone know anything like that?!

~Ian

ReputationRep:
    i work at tesocs, 5 hours a week but am working as a nurses assistant in the summer to earn some reall ££££

ReputationRep:
    I work from 8 till half 5 - for 40 hours , at an electronics firm doing webdesign and other stuff. Then I work evenings and weekends in a kitchen as a commi chef. So i dont have time for much lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArchiBoi)
    I work from 8 till half 5 - for 40 hours , at an electronics firm doing webdesign and other stuff. Then I work evenings and weekends in a kitchen as a commi chef. So i dont have time for much lol
    I might want to do that kind of job you are doing now (i.e. web design). How is the pay like? Do you only need GCSEs or A-levels? I think that job will be good, as that would be useful for university and a job after I graduate.

ReputationRep:
    its not great but its betteer than my chef work.. i get 4.50 as a chef which is crap the hours are crap, its hot, stressful and extremely tiring im sure uve seen what its live on TV.

The webdesign I get approx 5.30 an hour. Its a lot cushier than the chef job lol. The company has a slow product turnover so they only require updates once every year to their website. So I do this every summer and have for the past 3 years. Im *****e at flash and dreamweaver so im a complete amatuer and use frontpage - but its waht the boss wnats. cuz companies dont have time to wait for movies to load etc. The site is huge and is com peletely boring so its not really much fun. Becasue of the sites thers always constant issues with broken links and stuff.

I didnt need any Alevels or any GCSE's, in fact I got hte job before I even got my GCSE's and have been asked back every year since.

Edit:
    But be were - small firms you get VERY varied jobs - However I like this , last year I was clambering thru roofs laying network cables. Installed a server, and broadband into an none ICT company. When the company is large and on a few flors installing ports isnt always nice work lol!! Then it would crash and so on! lol.. i was a complete netwrok n00b but now ive learnt a lot. I also helped rennovate one of the store rooms. Apparently they want m eto do a new extension / development design if I get on my architecture degree lol.

ReputationRep:
    its not great but its betteer than my chef work.. i get 4.50 as a chef which is crap the hours are crap, its hot, stressful and extremely tiring im sure uve seen what its live on TV.

The webdesign I get approx 5.30 an hour. Its a lot cushier than the chef job lol. The company has a slow product turnover so they only require updates once every year to their website. So I do this every summer and have for the past 3 years. Im *****e at flash and dreamweaver so im a complete amatuer and use frontpage - but its waht the boss wnats. cuz companies dont have time to wait for movies to load etc. The site is huge and is com peletely boring so its not really much fun. Becasue of the sites thers always constant issues with broken links and stuff.

I didnt need any Alevels or any GCSE's, in fact I got hte job before I even got my GCSE's and have been asked back every year since.
    The pay is not bad for the web design job. You must have loads of money after summer, since the pay is good! It's quite strange that your boss wants to create webpages in Frontpage. You should suggest Dreamweaver, lol. :p: I'm not that good at flash. I guess I have to practice some flash before I get the job, lol.

It seems like you are maintaining it instead of designing/making it.

ReputationRep:
    I assume that is per hour. Are you 18 yet? (I see you are in yr 13), the minimum wage is 4.85 when you hit 18, they shouldn't be paying you any less...

ReputationRep:
    yes I am 18. lol....and that is per hour... i wasnt aware that was the minimum wage.

lol I change the design of it everyyear and i was the initial designer of the website to begin with. At the end of the day I maybe experiencing design overload with 7 years of it, and I already do product design Alevel so I do welcome the break!

ReputationRep:
    I have a job in the train station at the weekend but whether I take up extra hours over the summer is debatable at the moment.I can't decide if I can be bothered or not.

ReputationRep:
    The National Minimum Wage will increase again in October 2005

The Government has recently responded to the recommendations made in the Low Pay Commission's 2005 Report on the National Minimum Wage. The Government have accepted.

* The adult rate of the minimum wage (for workers aged 22 and over) will increase from its present hourly rate of £4.85 to £5.05 in October 2005, and to £5.35 in October 2006. The 2006 increase is subject to confirmation by the Commission in February 2006, to check that the economic conditions continue to make it appropriate.

* The development rate (for workers aged 18-21 inclusive) will increase from the present hourly rate of £4.10 to £4.25 in October 2005 and £4.45 in October 2006.

NB: The development rate can also apply to workers aged 22 and above during their first 6 months in a new job with a new employer and who are receiving accredited training.

* The Government should invite the Low Pay Commission to review the operation of the 16-17 year old rate of £3 an hour and to report in February 2006, with recommendations for any subsequent increases.

ReputationRep:
    I am working for a nursing agency (as a care assistant) and I will try to get as many shift as possible arranged over summer. I realy need money as I cannot get the student loan and parents are not going to be much help either :/.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by belis)
    I am working for a nursing agency (as a care assistant) and I will try to get as many shift as possible arranged over summer. I realy need money as I cannot get the student loan and parents are not going to be much help either :/.
    How come you cannot get a student loan? I thought everybody was eligble..

ReputationRep:
    How come you cannot get a student loan? I thought everybody was eligble..
    Providing that you are UK resident. I am not, at leat not for long enough to qualify for student loan. But I do not have to pay tution fees so it is not too bad.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.