Turn on thread page Beta

David Bowie Society watch

ReputationRep:
    Who wants to join the David Bowie Society. Post here.

In order to be a member you must:
    1. Contribute in the form of posts on a regular basis,
    2. Have a genuine interest in the work of David Bowie,
    3. Answer a specific question about David Bowie correctly (This will be posted to you). This will be determined by me.
    4. Vote in the above poll.

Members:

Bowie88
    Undercover-ange
    GingerGodfather
    El Chueco
    Viscount
    Madelyn
    Janwise
    Izlah
    Smeets
    Zoe76
    Marmalade
    Yo-less
    Daniel Williams
    The Canadian

ReputationRep:
    Bowie = One of the most overrated artists EVER!

The number of genres that this guy is being credited to poineer is hilarious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paxi)
    Bowie = One of the most overrated artists EVER!

The number of genres that this guy is being credited to poineer is hilarious.
    but its true, he is one of the greatest artists ever, he pretty much created many of the musical genres we see today. Have u got any of his albums, they are brilliant. He is a true artist.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah yeah I'll join!!! I don't care if he's overrated I love him!! Tin Machine was maybe a slight mistake though.......xxxx

ReputationRep:
    Aladdin Sane and Ziggy Stardust are brilliant albums, count me in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bowie88)
    Who wants to join the David Bowie Society. Post here.

In order to be a member you must:
    1. Contribute in the form of posts on a regular basis,
    2. Have a genuine interest in the work of David Bowie,
    3. Answer a specific question about David Bowie correctly (This will be posted to you)
    Bowie rocks i reckon he probably had the best performance at live aid after queen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Chueco)
    Bowie rocks i reckon he probably had the best performance at live aid after queen.
    sorry 4 not responding quickly, i was at U2 concert in Dublin last night, again you are in.

ReputationRep:
    What is everyones favourite Bowie Era? Poll coming soon!!

ReputationRep:
    What is everyones favourite Bowie Era? Poll coming soon!!
    I defintely prefer the era of Hunky Dory- Diamond Dogs, in which Bowie rocked out the most and was at his melodic best, especially on the Ziggy Stardust album. I think the quality of albums released around this time period proves Bowies brilliance, I have forced many friends to listen to 'Aladdin Sane' or 'Ziggy Stardust', and converted them from sceptics to bowie fans.

ReputationRep:
    I don't like Aladdin Sane so much, my favourite is probably Ziggy Stardust (currently playing on my car stereo). I really like the compilation tape of that era, with songs like Space Oddity, Ziggy Stardust, Changes...
    And I rather enjoyed his performance in Labyrinth

ReputationRep:
    Do none of you like Bowie late 70s, early 80s. If think this was his most influential era both musically and artisically. Low in my opinion is his best album, and his singles from this era are among his strongest and most memorable (Heroes, Ashes To Ashes). Who thinks Madonna is a complete rip off of Bowie, i mean the new he constantly changed his image and sound with every album.

ReputationRep:
    Do none of you like Bowie late 70s, early 80s. If think this was his most influential era both musically and artisically. Low in my opinion is his best album, and his singles from this era are among his strongest and most memorable (Heroes, Ashes To Ashes). Who thinks Madonna is a complete rip off of Bowie, i mean the new he constantly changed his image and sound with every album.
    I don't like Low for some reason, a lack of a true anthem like Heroes had, and I find the instrumentals tedious, with the exception of 'Warsawza'. I guess I prefer the more 'poppy' Bowie. What is it that people like about the instrumental sides of 'Low' and 'Heroes' that I am missing? :confused:

However 'Scary Monsters' is a great rock album, 'Up the Hill Backwards' is a great poppy number, 'Scream Like a Baby' is memorable and the guitar riffs in 'Teenage Wildlife' are stylish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GingerGodfather)
    I don't like Low for some reason, a lack of a true anthem like Heroes had, and I find the instrumentals tedious, with the exception of 'Warsawza'. I guess I prefer the more 'poppy' Bowie. What is it that people like about the instrumental sides of 'Low' and 'Heroes' that I am missing? :confused:

However 'Scary Monsters' is a great rock album, 'Up the Hill Backwards' is a great poppy number, 'Scream Like a Baby' is memorable and the guitar riffs in 'Teenage Wildlife' are stylish.
    My fav. bowie video comes from that album, Ashes to Ashes is so artistic and innovative. I based one of my art projects on it and got an a* for it. Low is brilliant in my opinion, slightly dark and melancholic, it helped give birth to goth, inspiring bands such as The Cure. Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails) said Low was the album that inspired him to make his masterpiece, "The Downward Spiral." Also Billy Corgan from The Smashing Pumpkins has said how important Low was in his life.
    Have you ever noticed that With or Without you by U2 sounds identical to Bowie's Heroes?

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid my (musical) interest in Bowie kind of dies out by that time. Um...apart from the whole Goblin King thing. Oh, and his musical interludes in Christiane F. (a random German film about druggies in Ost-Berlin, very interesting depiction of that scene, actually has Bowie in it. Anyone else seen it?).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madelyn)
    I'm afraid my (musical) interest in Bowie kind of dies out by that time. Um...apart from the whole Goblin King thing. Oh, and his musical interludes in Christiane F. (a random German film about druggies in Ost-Berlin, very interesting depiction of that scene, actually has Bowie in it. Anyone else seen it?).
    no, is it any good? Whats your favourite bowie album?

ReputationRep:
    Favourite album is probably The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust (or maybe Space Oddity or Hunky Dory). Christiane F. is really interesting, though it does get a bit traumatic in places. So am I the only Labyrinth fan?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madelyn)
    Favourite album is probably The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust (or maybe Space Oddity or Hunky Dory). Christiane F. is really interesting, though it does get a bit traumatic in places. So am I the only Labyrinth fan?
    no, i love labyrinth, the songs are really catchy.

ReputationRep:
    I think my favourite album is Hunky Dory, but my favourite song is 'Rebel Rebel' without a doubt.

Although 'Modern Love' is a very very close second.

I like the over-the-top glam Ziggy era the best, I'd love there to be another crazy period in time like that.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and I forgot - almost every childhood memory I have is about Labyrinth. The fiery things freaked me out so much, and I fell in love with Bowie at an extremely young age.

Especially during 'As the world falls down'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Janwise)
    Oh and I forgot - almost every childhood memory I have is about Labyrinth. The fiery things freaked me out so much, and I fell in love with Bowie at an extremely young age.

Especially during 'As the world falls down'
    do u want to join the bowie society?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.