Turn on thread page Beta

local councils bein taken over watch

well done labour. give housing companies the opportunity to use private contractors to do the work. and put many people out of work

nice one, labour supporters.

and before anyone asks, this has already happened to some councils and now gateshead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MorbidAngel)
    well done labour. give housing companies the opportunity to use private contractors to do the work. and put many people out of work

nice one, labour supporters.

and before anyone asks, this has already happened to some councils and now gateshead
    i hate labour

i wont lib dem!

(Original post by Cazzi_Bear)
    i hate labour

i wont lib dem!
    labour dont want anything good for the country

ReputationRep:
    Damn labour! when will people learn? I've always been thinking that the lib dems were the lesser of 3 evils lol

ReputationRep:
    labour dont want anything good for the country
    no they dont, although tory wouldnt be much better!!!

nah down here lib dems won (in teignbridge where i live ) yay!

they should put me in charge. ive got a better idea of how to run the country than what they have

ReputationRep:
    Sounds a good idea.

(Original post by objectivism)
    Sounds a good idea.
    yea. puttin people out of their jobs is a really good idea

ReputationRep:
    Are you talking about Labour authorities building council housing?

Surely, instead of just saying "labour dont want anything good for the country", you should recognise the very positive fact that Labour is increasing the number of council properties available for families, pensioners, and all those who couldnt afford to live otherwise.

(Original post by thebucketwoman)
    Are you talking about Labour authorities building council housing?

yup. there givin work to private contractors and sacking loads of people from the council's

Surely, instead of just saying "labour dont want anything good for the country", you should recognise the very positive fact that Labour is increasing the number of council properties available for families, pensioners, and all those who couldnt afford to live otherwise.
    good for the country?
    how is...
    ...putting people out of work by giving it to other contractors
    ... planning on charging £1.34/m tax on busy roads, effectivly moving traffic onto minor roads with kids playin
    ... changing speeds down to 20
    ... adding speed ramps/islands in th middle of the road...

...gonna help the country?!

ReputationRep:

good for the country?
    how is...
    ...putting people out of work by giving it to other contractors
    ... planning on charging £1.34/m tax on busy roads, effectivly moving traffic onto minor roads with kids playin
    ... changing speeds down to 20
    ... adding speed ramps/islands in th middle of the road...

...gonna help the country?!
    I just said, theyre building brand new council houses to help the poor and vulnerable of our society. Can't you see that as a good thing? You seem to support Libdems, are you against the provision of free housing?

Reducing speed limits has obvious benefits... less people will be killed?? In certain areas near schools, etc. I think that's a really good thing. Do you not?

I just said, theyre building brand new council houses to help the poor and vulnerable of our society. Can't you see that as a good thing? You seem to support Libdems, are you against the provision of free housing?
    i dont support the lib dems either. so who's building the new 'council' houses. its not the council, since labour doesnt want councils to do the work. theyd rather have private contractors

Reducing speed limits has obvious benefits... less people will be killed?? In certain areas near schools, etc. I think that's a really good thing. Do you not?
    motorways should be 80. some dual carriageways should be 80.

reducing school areas to 20 is a good idea, but its 20 at all times. so what happens during summer and night times? still stuck at 20? why? there arent any kids finishing school. speed ramps. oh look. we have a problem with carbon dioxide emmissions. i kno. well put speed ramps everywhere and cause people to keep speeding up/slowing doin and add to the problem. at the same time we get extra money thru increase of fuel.

they also put speed ramps where 1 side has to give way to the other. and the point being?! to add to the congestion more

ReputationRep:
    i dont support the lib dems either. so who's building the new 'council' houses. its not the council, since labour doesnt want councils to do the work. theyd rather have private contractors
    Who cares who's building them? The point is they are funded by the government and they are free for the people that need them.

ReputationRep:
    but doesn't it also create/secure many private sector jobs in doing so

ReputationRep:
    Tell me, do you think councils by their nature good at building houses? Are local politicians more capable of planning housing than companies whose sole purpose is to built houses? Council housing has been known as low quality because the people building them don't actually care - they will be paid no matter how bad the buildings are. Where as private companies have to do their job well or they won't get the contract next time. Privately built projects are also cheaper because of competition and invariably less bureaucracy.

You say that council workers have lost their jobs. Thats what happens to people in work... they sometimes lose their jobs. But now that there is more demand for private companies, they can expand and hire the people who were fired if they are any good.

ReputationRep:
    Who cares who's building them? The point is they are funded by the government and they are free for the people that need them.
    Whats wrong with renting? Why not just give people who really need housing, the money to rent. It will cut out all the council building projects and make people actually want to improve their situation and buy their own house.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheVlad)
    Whats wrong with renting? Why not just give people who really need housing, the money to rent. It will cut out all the council building projects and make people actually want to improve their situation and buy their own house.
    Renting is expensive. In the long term, it is cheaper for the government to pay to build its own free housing than to pay for everyone's rental costs (and paying profit to a landlord). Especially as the new privately-contracted houses, as you said, will be of a higher standard and last longer, and they'll also be more efficiently/cheaply built.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheVlad)
    Also, the government has now introduced a halfway step from council housing to private housing - joint ownership.

ReputationRep:
    Also, the government has now introduced a halfway step from council housing to private housing - joint ownership.
    Joint ownership schemes have the risk of overheating the housing market.

ReputationRep:
    yea. puttin people out of their jobs is a really good idea
    Making better use of taxpayers money is a wonderful idea. For too long council workers have had it too easy. They build shoody houses because they still get paid, private businesses build better houses in order to keep their contract. Thus their is an incentive to give qualty houses, which is of course the purpose of these houses, not to give council workers jobs.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.