Turn on thread page Beta

local councils bein taken over watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MorbidAngel)
    yup. there givin work to private contractors and sacking loads of people from the council's

good for the country?
    how is...
    ...putting people out of work by giving it to other contractors
    ... planning on charging £1.34/m tax on busy roads, effectivly moving traffic onto minor roads with kids playin
    ... changing speeds down to 20
    ... adding speed ramps/islands in th middle of the road...

...gonna help the country?!
    Get real. Most councils don't have anywhere near the number of skilled employees to build homes. They havn't for years. Councils farm out pretty much all their construction needs to private firms.

I was not aware that councils employed their own house building teams. I know they had/have employee tradespeople to maintain council housing stock.

My family are builders and they would be put on a list of 'approved' contractors to build social housing because councils don't employ house builders themselves.

Is there a link to this Gateshead proposal so as we can check out the facts and whether you are ranting at the right people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    I was not aware that councils employed their own house building teams. I know they had/have employee tradespeople to maintain council housing stock.

My family are builders and they would be put on a list of 'approved' contractors to build social housing because councils don't employ house builders themselves.

Is there a link to this Gateshead proposal so as we can check out the facts and whether you are ranting at the right people?
    Snap! My family are building contractors and do tons of work for local authorities (not so much housing though).

ReputationRep:
    And whats the deal with the title of this thread??

'local councils bein taken over'

what?

(Original post by yawn)
    no link that i know of ATM. its only been made official today (after month of the date gettin out back)

as for those who rekon council workers have it easy all the time, try workin 4 them. try working outside in the rain in the middle of winter doing repairs to benefit the public that there is no legal requirement to do.

(Original post by thebucketwoman)
    And whats the deal with the title of this thread??

'local councils bein taken over'

what?
    government wants private companies to take over local councils

ReputationRep:
    no link that i know of ATM. its only been made official today (after month of the date gettin out back)

as for those who rekon council workers have it easy all the time, try workin 4 them. try working outside in the rain in the middle of winter doing repairs to benefit the public that there is no legal requirement to do.

Go to university than

ReputationRep:
    Get over it. Would you work for the coucil?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beekeeper_)
    Get over it. Would you work for the coucil?
    His profile says he does

ReputationRep:
    Private companies are going to be running local politics?

Are the government getting rid of all public servants or are you just talking about builders?

ReputationRep:
    Do you believe everthing unions say

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by objectivism)
    His profile says he does
    I see, well i'm sure there will be help available for those who have lost their jobs.
    The chances are that private companies will pay better anyway...

ReputationRep:
    yup. there givin work to private contractors and sacking loads of people from the council's
    If the council's builders can't build it for the cheapest cost, then I'm afraid I've got to agree with the Labour Buggers (shock! horror!) that going private is the way to go. I don't pay my taxes to subsidise brickies.

how is...putting people out of work by giving it to other contractors...gonna help the country?
    By promoting private enterprise, which will provide jobs, and letting people retain money that would otherwise be spent paying for the nonsense you seem to support.

1. They have no business considering the 'legal requirements' - they are told to repair a house. That is their job for which they clearly get benefits that are over the value the market places on their position. That is what I call 'having it easy'.

2. I believe local authorities ARE under an obligation, as any landlord is, to keep their housing stock in habitable condition.

ReputationRep:
    Well done Morbid

Are these the ALMO's?

In Benwell, one of the poorest wards in Newcastle. they gave residents in some parts a glossy booklet describing the benefits of transfering to private companies. They didn't allow any time for a No campaign and had a referendum very quickly. Now they are in even more disrepair.

It's the first step on a slippery slope to yet another type of privatisation. This is something the elected local government should be doing, not an unelected, profit seeking company.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Northumbrian)
    Well done Morbid

Are these the ALMO's?

In Benwell, one of the poorest wards in Newcastle. they gave residents in some parts a glossy booklet describing the benefits of transfering to private companies. They didn't allow any time for a No campaign and had a referendum very quickly. Now they are in even more disrepair.

It's the first step on a slippery slope to yet another type of privatisation. This is something the elected local government should be doing, not an unelected, profit seeking company.
    Why oh why do you think that "the elected local government" has in anyway the expertise to build or maintain housing? When you vote for your council do you consider questions like 'hmmm is this guy any good at building houses?'. I certainly do not. I consider questions like 'is this guy any good at giving the contract to a company that will do the best possible job at the lowest price?'

With private contracts you make sure that the workers actually care about what they are doing. A council builder can skip of on the quality and safety requirements because he'll get paid anyway but a private company needs to do a good job or it won't get the contract next time.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.