Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4618341.stm

many more serious problems to face. indeed. problems like their lack of intelligence it would seem for a start!

ReputationRep:
    He denies this, saying the crackdown is designed to "restore sanity" in urban areas, which he says have become overrun with criminals.
    ...Of course, Mugabe.

ReputationRep:
    The US insists that such efforts should only be taken if African countries improve their standard of governance.
    Funny that. Bush was all too keen to step in and improve Iraq's standard of governace himself.

ReputationRep:
    The African Union are a bunch of corrupt, dictatorial morons. They're more concerned about preventing Britain from setting up shop in their own countries with companies etc and tackling the imaginary forces that pervidious Albion has set up to destroy their nations and invade them rather than sorting out their own backyard. If they don't do something about Mugabe, I say that the British should invade or at the very least encourage an uprising against Mugabe.

ReputationRep:
    You don't stop poverty and famine in Africa by going to a live 8 concert or donating a fiver to Bob Geldof. You stop poverty by sending a sniper unit out and assasinating the corrupt dictators, then replacing them with someone who actually cares about the people in his country. (And by getting some help from the UN and richer countries, and by providing condoms to stop the spread of AIDS).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inequality)
    You don't stop poverty and famine in Africa by going to a live 8 concert or donating a fiver to Bob Geldof. You stop poverty by sending a sniper unit out and assasinating the corrupt dictators, then replacing them with someone who actually cares about the people in his country. (And by getting some help from the UN and richer countries, and by providing condoms to stop the spread of AIDS).
    Over-population too. Either we leave them to look after themselves, which assumes they are our equals, or if we must finance them, let's pay them to not have kids.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, there are other problems in Africa.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArthurOliver)
    Over-population too. Either we leave them to look after themselves, which assumes they are our equals, or if we must finance them, let's pay them to not have kids.
    Most people would say you need the emancipation of women to stop overpopulation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inequality)
    Funny that. Bush was all too keen to step in and improve Iraq's standard of governace himself.
    Zimbabwe does not have any vast mineral resources worth stealing I er mean liberating the country for.

All the African nations need to do is deal with the immediate problems (like Mugabe like corruption) and with the continued and intensified suppor tof the west, tackle the "more serious problems" like poverty like AIDs epidemic.

(Original post by technik)

many more serious problems to face. indeed. problems like their lack of intelligence it would seem for a start!
    agreed, the region makes me sick in its tolerance of him. Especially South Africa.
    I think all regions voicing support for him, or aiding his regime in any way should face sanctions.
    They should take this guy seriously, because he is a massively destabilising influence on the region.

(Original post by fr_browne)
    Zimbabwe does not have any vast mineral resources worth stealing I er mean liberating the country for.

All the African nations need to do is deal with the immediate problems (like Mugabe like corruption) and with the continued and intensified suppor tof the west, tackle the "more serious problems" like poverty like AIDs epidemic.
    thing is tackling mugabe could reduce pvoerty, famine etc massively. Zimbabwe used to be bread basket of africa, producing enough for both itself and many neighbouring countries. now it needs hand outs to prevent starvation.
    just want mugaqbe wants, by controlling who eats, he controls everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)

Ive never heard the African Union come out with anything approaching sense nor have i heard of them actually DO anything worthwhile. Their only purpose seems to be to defend the indefensible and accuse the West of 'imperialism' etc if any western nation condemns any cruelty/atrocity etc commited by africans in their nations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    thing is tackling mugabe could reduce pvoerty, famine etc massively. Zimbabwe used to be bread basket of africa, producing enough for both itself and many neighbouring countries. now it needs hand outs to prevent starvation.
    just want mugaqbe wants, by controlling who eats, he controls everything.
    here here!
    I read in the Metro Newspaper (free paper on public transport in Greater manchester) that somebody is trying to take action out against Mugabe for genocide and is urgin the UN to impose sanctions!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fr_browne)
    Well actually...

I am in two minds on this point. I agree that paternalism assumes that the Africans are somehow lesser than us. White people have massacred, mass-murdered and been full or corruption - indeed, we probably did it better than them back in the day. Why should they not learn from their mistakes like us and eventually advance to our stage of development by themselves?

However you might consider it a responsibility of a civilised people to liberate others from oppression. In the absence of any well-formed opinion, I wouldn't support military options.

ReputationRep:
    I have been thinking on this, and I have come up with this: As well as making Blair's plan for Africa contingent upon ending corruption in the political systems of these countries, couldn't we also make the aid and money also dependant on cutting of ties with Mugabe and ending their support of him, as well as condemning his atrocities?

ReputationRep:
    couldn't we also make the aid and money also dependant on cutting of ties with Mugabe and ending their support of him, as well as condemning his atrocities?
    Now that is a good idea. But considering we didn't do it to other notable dictators in the past (a certain moustached man comes to mind), I doubt we would do it Mugabe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaf1986)
    Now that is a good idea. But considering we didn't do it to other notable dictators in the past (a certain moustached man comes to mind), I doubt we would do it Mugabe.
    Britain has much more leverage over Africa than it did over continental Europe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    Britain has much more leverage over Africa than it did over continental Europe.
    continental Europe? I was referring to Saddam Hussein.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaf1986)
    continental Europe? I was referring to Saddam Hussein.
    I thought you were referring to "The Mustached One". Guess not.

Britain had very little leverage over Iraq, especially since many countries care more about fulfilling their energy needs than about human rights/democracy. Most of Africa doesn't have any resources anyone needs, which means other countries are not going to worsen relations with Britain (and whoever backs it) just to maintain good relations with the African states.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    I thought you were referring to "The Mustached One". Guess not.

Britain had very little leverage over Iraq, especially since many countries care more about fulfilling their energy needs than about human rights/democracy. Most of Africa doesn't have any resources anyone needs, which means other countries are not going to worsen relations with Britain (and whoever backs it) just to maintain good relations with the African states.
    Africa's most valuable resource ought to be it's enormous pool of underemployed cheap labour, but the prime reason Africa is poor is the same reason that global business doesn't exploit this human resource to any significant level - the quality of the people. Sorry to any Jigs, but it's true.

Over-population I'm sure is key to any improvement in Africa.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.