Turn on thread page Beta

RECORD FOR GCSE GRADES AND A LEVELS watch

ReputationRep:
    This being PJ at Trinity? Because as far as I'm aware, he's a joint holder with 10 only? Or is this a reference to Alex vWC - although surely he's no longer at Cambs?

Back to the rest of your post - your assumption is that proving oneself is the motive? Media interest is certainly one to consider - not necessarily for the publicity itself, but the leverage that such publicity can give you. If you're able to take such large numbers with little loss to your social life (and some people can), why not? Marketing

ReputationRep:
    Paul Jeffries went to my school actually, and I think he is the current record holder. I was talking to one of the maths teachers, and he said that by year 8/9, Paul knew more than any of them, and therefore it was a waste of time coming to lessons, so he was excused!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SyncMaster_770)
    Paul Jeffries went to my school actually, and I think he is the current record holder. I was talking to one of the maths teachers, and he said that by year 8/9, Paul knew more than any of them, and therefore it was a waste of time coming to lessons, so he was excused!
    Just curious as to whom Lauren was referring to, as I'm certain that it is Paul... the fact that he retook Maths & F Maths on the new syllabus confuses some people. And I'm a pretty good friend of his, so yes, I've had long conversations with his parents on the intricacies of his genius ;-)

(He's a 'joint' holder on A2s.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by synaesthesia)
    Just curious as to whom Lauren was referring to, as I'm certain that it is Paul... the fact that he retook Maths & F Maths on the new syllabus confuses some people. And I'm a pretty good friend of his, so yes, I've had long conversations with his parents on the intricacies of his genius ;-)

(He's a 'joint' holder on A2s.)
    I've never really spoken to him (as he's a few years above me), but all the teachers said that he was a nice chap. I have quite a few A level subjects with his sister Claire, and she's very nice as well (and certainly not dumb either!)

ReputationRep:
    Oh brilliant! Say hi to Claire for me, I haven't seen her for a good while!

And yes, he's a v. nice, normal guy. I think I single handedly inflate his ego to epic proportions already though :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by synaesthesia)
    Oh brilliant! Say hi to Claire for me, I haven't seen her for a good while!

And yes, he's a v. nice, normal guy. I think I single handedly inflate his ego to epic proportions already though :P
    Will do. Whenever he has an interview in a newspaper though, they deliberately try and make him sound arrogant, which is really unfair. :mad:

Our principal still mentions him constantly - Paul and Graham Greene are our school's only claim to fame.

ReputationRep:
    Papers will always try and make overachievers sound like a freak; why else would people want to hear the story? It's quite sad, how the world works.

My old school can claim Dido... but she hated the place!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    Don't forget Accounting
    And Astronomy with a pogo stick

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.