Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    After reading a recent article in a tv book about the plights of 2 young women found in feral circumstances, I was wondering what other peoples thoughts are on the comments of James Law - Professor of Language and Communication at Londons City University, he states that

*part of being a human is being brought up by humans*
    and
    *If you're not brought up by people, are you fully human?*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DevilsDoor)
    *If you're not brought up by people, are you fully human?*
    Depends on your definition of humanity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alec)
    Depends on your definition of humanity.
    Agreed Alec, as I personally dont find Western communities overly civilised, who are we to state what humanity is, or do we expect a certain standard of living, is this the *norm* and what we find acceptable and anything outside of it isnt *normal*??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DevilsDoor)
    Agreed Alec, as I personally dont find Western communities overly civilised, who are we to state what humanity is, or do we expect a certain standard of living, is this the *norm* and what we find acceptable and anything outside of it isnt *normal*??
    Considering the definition of humanity differs by generation and culture, you'd tend to think the only real measure of humanity is biological.

On that basis, then yes... they are human. Obviously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alec)
    Considering the definition of humanity differs by generation and culture, you'd tend to think the only real measure of humanity is biological.

On that basis, then yes... they are human. Obviously.
    We can only determine humanity by what we see around us, we accept that a dog barks, will use its four legs to move about, to lap at water and rip meat with its teeth, we dont accept that a human may do this, why? because its not the *norm* yet I dont agree that just because we dont see it on a daily basis that we shouldnt accept it. Should we actually try and acclimatise these children to *civilisation*, take away their security and everything they know or should they be allowed to live as they have been doing? Mr law makes no mention of malnutrition or any other illness, so from leading a free life, these 2 PEOPLE are now spending their time in a home for the mentally ill and an adult care home, they have effectively had their freedom taken from them

ReputationRep:
    personally i think its astounding, not only have they had to learn one way of life they have also had to learn another. it just proves how complex the human survival skills are

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by satans_*****xx)
    personally i think its astounding, not only have they had to learn one way of life they have also had to learn another. it just proves how complex the human survival skills are

Modern man has become weak and ill accustomed to extremes of enviroment, for example we have a vast amount of snow, England especially comes to a standstill, we have an exceptionally hot summer, we are ill prepared and have water shortages. Our basic instincts are becoming buried as we lead softer lives and survival of the fittest isnt so formost. So are so called *feral children* really so feral, or are they simply relying on old skills?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.