Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I think the questions were quite good - I did 1 and 4. But I don't think I did them justice...I don't think I brought in enough background research, and my answers were just generally blah.

Ach I think my brain is officially fried....it just can't cope anymore. :p: Shame I have another exam on wednesday.

ReputationRep:
    1/3 for me.

1 was ****. I feel i aint displayed 2 years worth of education. I have 'points' i regard as my don points, funniy enough the example/texts given didn't let me display these don points and i flopped haha.

3 was v.good. Alot of social attitudes going on. ie. Spam = specially processed american/assorted meat (alot of people i spoke to didn't know this, the origin of spam is america, they imported it from american to uk in ww2) connotes social attitudes towards USA changing + to -. Blah, there was loads. Pejoration etc. (it's now crap, bulk (bought it bulk once)) et etc.

ReputationRep:
    I did 1 & 3.

At first I looked at question 1 and totally panicked - nothing was jumping out at me to talk about. I had concentrated most of my revision on the holographic and telegraphic stages too, and I couldn't think of any researchers to bring in. I briefly mentioned something about Halliday but I'm sure I misquoted his thesis. When I got into it though, I found a lot to say. I just don't think I structured it very well.

I chose question 3 on the basis that I know nothing about language change over a long period of time, I have more to say on social change. I'm not sure if I approached it correctly. I talked about spam being associated with the compressed, mass produced meat product and being used for its connotations to apply to Internet junk-mail, and sourced examples from the texts, and talked about how the newspaper "spam" references were all based on the food product due to lack of Internet popularity until the late 90s.

ReputationRep:
    I was tempted to do the SPAM question, but apart from saying that semantically the meaning had changed from a 'processed can of meat' to 'unsolicited e-mail', I couldn't think of an awful lot else to say. Thus why I did Q4.

I suppose you could bring in the fact that due to technological change a new word was needed to accomodate it. But why the word SPAM was chosen, I have no idea?!

Look at http://www.answers.com/spam&r=67 for some information about the types of thing you could've included in your discussion though.

Adam

(Original post by crazygirlcath)
    I chose questions 1 and 3, 3 being difficuly to explain the context and semantic change, but think I did it ok?! noone else in my group did this one though which was worrying...so anyone else who did the 'spam' one i'd be grateful to hear what u thought of it! question 1 was great, although the child was older than those of which i'd practised with!!! never mind, brought in chomsky's transformational grammar which i was damn proud of, and Bruner's LASS. i just hope it went ok and i got thr grades i need!

ReputationRep:
    I did questions one and four.

Question one: my answer was a little broad, picking out quotations for each area of language (semantics, lexis etc) and then explaining or adding a theorist. I managed to get in Bruner, Chomsky, Dore's taxonomy and Bancroft in for theorists.

Question four: I liked this one a lot better - was actually kind of interesting. I talked about the 17th century being the renaissance period for text I and mentioned a bit about how language was changing at that time with Shakespeare and the revived interest in the Classical world and Latin, and then compared it to today's hectic 'rushed' sort of lifestyle (text J), and talked about how the graphology corresponded to this, what with the layout and everything all being easily digestible. I then discussed some archaic language for Lexis as well as non-standard spellings and Samuel Johnson and the publication of the dictionary. I also mentioned something else, but I can't remember for the life of me now. In text J I talked about semantic broadening with some words, and for grammar I talked about capitalisation of nouns in text I and sentence structures, and how text J didn't use capitals in the title, but this was due to style, while text I was becasue there was no grammatical standard at that time really. And, I can't remember what else, but I liked that question a lot because as I mentioned before, I found it interesting. Anyway, I thought that one went well when I think about the amount of revision I put into it. (I got up at half five this morning and crammed until 7! :rolleyes: But who knows, all that may be wrong. :dong: )

Anyway, overall, I'm not sure how it went really - I could have commented on so much more if I had time. I spent half an hour just annotating and trying to remember, then the rest of the time scribbling like a madman. Someone, or something, had set the fire alarm off just as we were finishing as well, which would have been good if it'd been a the beginning and engulfed the building in flame, exam papers in it, but it didn't, and we had to wait around when I was in a serious need of a pee! Anyway, too much information! :p:

Whoops, sorry for the long post. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Adam_)
    I was tempted to do the SPAM question, but apart from saying that semantically the meaning had changed from a 'processed can of meat' to 'unsolicited e-mail', I couldn't think of an awful lot else to say. Thus why I did Q4.

I suppose you could bring in the fact that due to technological change a new word was needed to accomodate it. But why the word SPAM was chosen, I have no idea?!

Look at http://www.answers.com/spam&r=67 for some information about the types of thing you could've included in your discussion though.

Adam
    Thanks, it looks like I have included quite a lot of stuff, which is cool! no need to worry that much for exam results day then!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm thought it went pretty well, tho i was annoyed olivia was so old! i kept wanting to say.. 2 years ago she would have...
    - as she was quite a good speaker by this age so not as many features as there could have been if she was younger

ReputationRep:
    I did 1 and 3. I thought they were all pretty good questions really – loved the thing about the Queen doing the limbo in the Daily Pork, hehe – what a kid! Had to go for the Spam one, just cos Monty Python was involved! Looking back, I think I could have said a lot more for the other question, but meh.

For 1 I talked a lot about the grammar (what she could do, what she couldn't quite do yet and why), discourse (her topic management, the mother's, 'you know', things like that), some stuff about semantics, like her not understanding some words yet. She was a good speaker generally, so I said that. It seemed like more in the exam than that! But I did go really in depth. As for theorists, I got in Piaget and Chomsky, I think, and some just general, common sense kind of observations.

For 3, I talked about the formation of the word 'spam', how it transcends word classes, its change of meaning, influence of media, advertising, society changing. I didn't seem to write much, really, but my writing was small today and I am quite concise in writing essays anyway, so...

All in all, it was very alright, and quite enjoyable! Good luck everyone for results' day!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Adam_)

Adam
    I pretty much used the not knowing the origins of why "spam" was chosen to my advantage and speculated on why. I.e., an acronym, the food product's qualities i.e. mass produced and how that relates to its use in the Internet form. I also talked about the phonetic quality of the word being a part of it, but that was probably invalid.

ReputationRep:
    That was an extremly good paper to end my English A level with!!

Lots to talk about in 1 and 4. I think I covered everything well, maybe not in 'A' detail, but overall...cool

ReputationRep:
    That was a fabulous paper. I did 1 and 4.

Question 4 was a gift, IMO. It was so easy, too easy in some respects, because there was only a very tiny piece of Old English text on the entire paper! Having said that, I'm not sure how I've done, I did loads on social contextual pragmatics stuff for question 4 - that was like the majority of my answer. I think I filled 10 pages of the answer booklet in total.

The language acquisition section was a gift also.

ReputationRep:
    Question 1 was irritating.If the child was younger I could have written SO muchI did question 3 for the language change....discussed the different ways words are made but missed a few...said that spam was used for junk mail as the product is viewed in a negative way etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by utu7)
    I pretty much used the not knowing the origins of why "spam" was chosen to my advantage and speculated on why. I.e., an acronym, the food product's qualities i.e. mass produced and how that relates to its use in the Internet form. I also talked about the phonetic quality of the word being a part of it, but that was probably invalid.
    I talked about its phonetic quality too, so it had better not be invalid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_roadkill)
    That was a fabulous paper. I did 1 and 4.

Question 4 was a gift, IMO. It was so easy, too easy in some respects, because there was only a very tiny piece of Old English text on the entire paper! Having said that, I'm not sure how I've done, I did loads on social contextual pragmatics stuff for question 4 - that was like the majority of my answer. I think I filled 10 pages of the answer booklet in total.

The language acquisition section was a gift also.
    There was Old English, as in Anglo-Saxon on the paper? I'd have said it was Early Modern English, but then I'm just being a horrible pedant

ReputationRep:
    yeh it was definitely Early Modern English, 1700s.

I answered questions 1 and 4.. felt indifferent about it all really, just glad to get english language out of the way for good. I'm not sure how I've done, I just hope I've done well enough to get a B overall

hope everybody else did OK xx

ReputationRep:
    I did questions 1 and 4, which seem to be the most popular choices from people, both on here and at college. Think they went ok, and I had plenty to say, although could have referred more to theorists/influences on language over time. I tended to make comments and expand on these without the use of a theorist, which could be my downfall. We shall see, as they say!

ReputationRep:
    argh i'm so worried about this...don't think I represented myself well at all...forgot to mention that Spam is in fact an acronym even though was blindingly obvious in the text...grrrrrrrr how much does coursework contribute to our mark...i'm holding onto that hope!

ReputationRep:
    They had curry in 1747!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazygirlcath)
    argh i'm so worried about this...don't think I represented myself well at all...forgot to mention that Spam is in fact an acronym even though was blindingly obvious in the text...grrrrrrrr how much does coursework contribute to our mark...i'm holding onto that hope!
    I don't think that spam is an acronym. Yeah there's the Internet joke about "Stupid Pointless Annoying Mail" or whatever it is, but I put that it shows the attitudes towards junk mail, not that it was the reason "spam" was chosen as the word.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure this thread is doing any of us much good - it's just serving to worry people that they've made mistakes or have slipped up.

It's all over with now, nothing any of us can do.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.