Turn on thread page Beta

A2 AQA English Language ENB6 - Acquisition/Change watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marychrist)
    yeh it was definitely Early Modern English, 1700s.
    My revision guide says Late Modern English is 1700s onwards

(Original post by utu7)
    I don't think that spam is an acronym. Yeah there's the Internet joke about "Stupid Pointless Annoying Mail" or whatever it is, but I put that it shows the attitudes towards junk mail, not that it was the reason "spam" was chosen as the word.
    Short Pointless Annoying Messages. And it was the reason it was chosen lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by utu7)
    I don't think that spam is an acronym. Yeah there's the Internet joke about "Stupid Pointless Annoying Mail" or whatever it is, but I put that it shows the attitudes towards junk mail, not that it was the reason "spam" was chosen as the word.
    didn't it say in the OED text that is stands for 'spiced pork and meat'?? or am i imagining things again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazygirlcath)
    didn't it say in the OED text that is stands for 'spiced pork and meat'?? or am i imagining things again?
    Yeah, it did say that, but that was for the meat product. I was speculating that the junk mail version could have been named spam because of an acronym and it was just chance it was the same name as the spiced ham. Basically I just wanted to get in that acronyms are sometimes used to form new words.

ReputationRep:
    I did get in that acronyms are used to form new words...in the text which showed the results of the search engine, there were examples such as 'IP blockers', which involve forming a word through an acronym. i'm not too fussed but I think I said that it may have come from a company name (the meat) oh dear..!! read the text next time i think!

ReputationRep:
    I forgot acronyms.I actually thought of it during the exam but thought,"Oh I'll finish off this paragraph then write about those..."

By the time I came around to it I had forgotten.Grrr.

I usually write down words at the side to remind me as well.Grrr.

I put that spam was a blend of spiced and ham and that it had undergone a semantic broadening-now meaning unwanted internet email and the meat product.Hmm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazygirlcath)
    I did get in that acronyms are used to form new words...in the text which showed the results of the search engine, there were examples such as 'IP blockers', which involve forming a word through an acronym. i'm not too fussed but I think I said that it may have come from a company name (the meat) oh dear..!! read the text next time i think!
    Spam is a company name though, it said something about Spam with a capital S being the company brand and "spam" loosely referring to canned luncheon meat. I referred to it as "Spam" throughout though, I hope that's okay.

Oh well, our fates are in the examiner's hands now whatever the outcome.

ReputationRep:
    Was it jsut me or were I there only one who did Question 2 (I also did Question 4 but bleh)?

I knew that the section would always be reading and writing and therefore just revised that section of the module. WHAT A GIFT to get spelling and writing devlopment. I could quote Crystal, Kroll and Uta Frith (nearly forgotten it now...all the leaking is starting now that exams are over lol) and I'm pretty sure (please don't be cruel, fate) that I got 35/35 marks for that section.

Why people didn't work out that the reading/writing section of the module is SO MUCH EASIER than the learning to speak/initial language developemnt section and that its worth just as many marks for learning so much less is surprising. Once you learnt the researchers and their appropriate findings (4 stages of Kroll's sp. development and Frith's 3 different spelling systems) then you're laughing. I am anyway (and with good reason to, I hope!)

ReputationRep:
    I guess it's up to personal preference and how good your teacher was. The writing one looked daunting to me and we had only covered it in a hurry in the last few weeks of term, with little room for practice, and those I had practised were getting Cs and Ds at best. It's great that you feel you've done so well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC87)
    Was it jsut me or were I there only one who did Question 2 (I also did Question 4 but bleh)?

I knew that the section would always be reading and writing and therefore just revised that section of the module. WHAT A GIFT to get spelling and writing devlopment. I could quote Crystal, Kroll and Uta Frith (nearly forgotten it now...all the leaking is starting now that exams are over lol) and I'm pretty sure (please don't be cruel, fate) that I got 35/35 marks for that section.

Why people didn't work out that the reading/writing section of the module is SO MUCH EASIER than the learning to speak/initial language developemnt section and that its worth just as many marks for learning so much less is surprising. Once you learnt the researchers and their appropriate findings (4 stages of Kroll's sp. development and Frith's 3 different spelling systems) then you're laughing. I am anyway (and with good reason to, I hope!)
    Lol I think it's a bit much to start predicting you got full marks! I don't think ireading and writing is particularly easier, and the speaking is a lot more interesting anyway. There's much more to say.
    'Once you learnt the researchers and their appropriate findings then you're laughing' - same is true of the speaking lol.
    One of the main advantages of doing the speaking is that there's a lot to say about the language and individual words and you can get a lot of terminology in.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, its very easy to say you did well but it's not hard if you hit all the points surely. well fingers crossed for me at least.

ReputationRep:
    Qs 2 and 4

I agree with JC87... acquisition of writing is SO MUCH EASIER!!! Kroll, spelling, handwriting, Labov's narrative structures, understanding of writing for a purposeand audience, cohesion. Bing bang.

My teacher did a revish session the thu beforew the exam and went through the dictionary question on hippo and giraffe... and lo and behold a dictionary queston *(wonder if she got a tip?). Tho i agree with the guys who thought there wasnt really much to say apart from the semantics. and anyway, q4 was a gift... the 'living langauge: language change' book has a whole chapter on cooking - and there was loads to say: lexis, syntax, a little semantics showing the social changes.

Does anyone remeber theri GCSE exams (long time ago i know)? i did AQA and for the unseen non-fiction texts we got a comparison between Jamie Oliver and Delia Smith. this was weirdly similar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by schrodingerscat)
    My teacher did a revish session the thu beforew the exam and went through the dictionary question on hippo and giraffe... and lo and behold a dictionary queston
    I think this will, for a good while at least, be a theme to come up. It's only recently been added to the specification but is obviously a flexible and bountiful resource! With this year's exam, a "spam" dictionary entry could be combined with a number of other sources and not just left on its own, although a singular dictionary entry can be used as well. Getting up to scratch on techniques related to dictionary entries seems to make a lot of sense. I went through a good many, but on the day felt more confident with the other question. If it had been a classroom situation, I probably would have done "spam", though, which worried me. I hadn't anticipated that kind of hesitation in my mind!

Does anyone remeber theri GCSE exams (long time ago i know)? i did AQA and for the unseen non-fiction texts we got a comparison between Jamie Oliver and Delia Smith. this was weirdly similar.
    I remember that. I think in a way it shows how far we have come since GCSE, because our analysis and technique should have improved. It's like re-reading a novel you read when you were younger and thinking, "I can't believe I didn't see all of this before!" It made me think I should be doing the "spam" question, but in the end, it's an A-Level paper and had to be treated in that way.

Hope it went well for you and all the best for results!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.