Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    While FM will be smiled upon it is a LOT harder to get decent grades in.
    Doing FM would give you an advantage but your chances are still very high without it it's just a nice 'extra bit'.
    If you were doing Bsc Maths I'd recommend it but for Economics you vcan probably just as soon do another subject in which you'll get a better grade and go for teh 'more rounded person' card

ReputationRep:
    These are the subjects I'm doing:

Biology
    ICT/Computing (not sure what one I will decide to do)
    Economics
    Maths/Further Maths

I plan on dropping Biology in the 2nd year. Are these subjects decent enough to get me into a decent uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laker_Fan)
    Are these subjects decent enough to get me into a decent uni?
    they tend to be more interested in the grades...

ReputationRep:
    These are the subjects I'm doing:

Biology
    ICT/Computing (not sure what one I will decide to do)
    Economics
    Maths/Further Maths

I plan on dropping Biology in the 2nd year. Are these subjects decent enough to get me into a decent uni?
    Don't do ICT unless you want a crash course in Microsoft Office.
    Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Computing to A-Level and Biology at AS will be more than fine.

ReputationRep:
    I would do computing rather than ICT.
    Do ICT if u want to be good at using excel and access etc from the microsoft office but otherwise do computing is very advantageous over ICT when ur doing maths and further maths.

ReputationRep:
    Yep Computing is programming and algorithms and fun stuff like that

ICT is an extension of GCSE - employers won't know that -but it's less fun!!

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, Computing's a pile of poo as well (at least AQA was).
    You can get through AS without any knowledge of programming- just a little VBA code.
    I can't really comment on the A2 part of it, since I dropped it last year. But looking at the outline of the syllabus, it didn't appeal to me too much anyway :|

ReputationRep:
    I think Computing is quite easy though. (up to AS anyways, i don't do A2)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, well easy. Unit 1 was basically IT. Unit 3 depends on how well you know your project.

ReputationRep:
    All u need to basically is to know the book off by heart. Once u know that u will get a decent grade.
    But one unit in AS and A2 will depend on how well ur made program is when judges with the mark scheme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goku999)
    I would do computing rather than ICT.
    Do ICT if u want to be good at using excel and access etc from the microsoft office but otherwise do computing is very advantageous over ICT when ur doing maths and further maths.
    Believe me, I know how boring ICT is, I done it for GCSE. I just figured that it would be an easy grade to get. ICT is easy but the work is very long winded and boring. I was thinking about how much more exciting Computing is but it seems like a tough A-Level compared to ICT. Is the stuff taught for Computing easy to pick up or is it as hard as it sounds? I heard one of the courseworks was creating your own program or something, this put me off it. I may do it if it is easy to pick up, I am fairly good with computers so....?

Tbh, Computing's a pile of poo as well (at least AQA was).
    You can get through AS without any knowledge of programming- just a little VBA code.
    I can't really comment on the A2 part of it, since I dropped it last year. But looking at the outline of the syllabus, it didn't appeal to me too much anyway :|
    Surely getting through without knowing anything is a good thing?

Yep Computing is programming and algorithms and fun stuff like that

ICT is an extension of GC

SE - employers won't know that -but it's less fun!!
    How hard are both to get an A in? What percentage is the coursework for each and what percentage overall do you need for an A?

ReputationRep:
    What is the difference between Maths and Futher Maths for A-Levels? Could someone explain the difference including the amount of exams you take etc...

I figured I'll post it in here seeing as you lot probably know more than the GCSE people about this.
    As people have already pointed out Further Maths is just another 6 maths modules on top of the 6 done in maths normally, I do it cos i enjoy maths so wanted to do more. i just thought i should point out one of the worst ways of doing it, which is in place at my college.

AS maths(AQA):
    Pure 1
    Methods
    D1

AS F Maths(AQA):
    M1
    S1
    P6 (the main reason why the course at my college sucks!)

A2 maths (AQA):
    Core3
    Core4
    D2

A2 F Maths(AQA);
    Pure 4
    Pure 5
    M2

ReputationRep:
    At mine you do c1-4 for normal maths and fp1-3 for further maths plus at least 5 from m1-5, s1-3 or d1-2. This enable people to get maths a level, further maths alvel, then an applied maths as level if they do 8 applied modules

ReputationRep:
    Roughly what percentage do you need overall for an A? How much is the coursework worth in percentages aswell please. Please give a rough percentage.

ReputationRep:
    Roughly what percentage do you need overall for an A? How much is the coursework worth in percentages aswell please. Please give a rough percentage.
    80% at a guess.

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.