Turn on thread page Beta

IMPORTANT: Those of you who drive... watch

ReputationRep:
    Earlier this week my friend's sister was killed in a car crash. She was the passenger in the front seat of a car going down the motorway when suddenly a wheel of the car was lost. The car went out of control and crashed into a lamp post, killing my friend’s sister.

Now I'm not writing this to get sympathy. Knowing what to do in an emergency situation when driving can be the difference between life and death. Personally I wouldn’t have a clue what to do in an emergency situation. I’m not expecting anyone to pay much attention to this, but please just read through what to do in an emergency situation just in case you are one day faced with one like the driver of my friend's sister's car.

Dealing with a tyre blowout or lost tyre
    A tyre blowout is when a tyre bursts whilst travelling at speed and will result in the vehicle losing stability and control. DO NOT BRAKE. Try to make the car slow down on its own by going into a lower gear, and keep a firm hold on the steering wheel. Stay calm, put on your hazard warning lights and bring your car to a standstill on the side of the road.

Dealing with brake failure
    Firstly, keep your car serviced and this should never happen. However, if it does happen, the best thing to do is to apply the handbrake in an on/off motion. Also try to go down to a low gear to slow the car down.

Dealing with steering failure
    If you suddenly can’t control the steering of your car, ease up on the accelerator, but DO NOT BRAKE unless absolutely necessary to avoid a crash. Your car may have enough natural balance to keep it moving forward as you slow it down. If you brake or try to change gears, this sudden change in speed may throw the vehicle off balance and completely out of control. As the vehicle slows down, you may be able to brake very gently to help bring it to a stop.

Dealing with a stuck gas pedal.
    If your accelerator sticks, you may be able to free it by hooking your foot under the pedal and trying to raise it. If this doesn't work, you can shift into neutral or turn the engine off and slow the vehicle down. However, if you have power brakes and/or power steering, they will lose power when you turn off the engine. Keep your eyes on the road and continue steering the vehicle straight ahead until you can safely pull your car over to the side of the road.

Dealing with going underwater
    If your car goes deep underwater but does not sink immediately, try to escape through a window. Do not try to open the door, as this will only let water in. If the vehicle sinks beneath the surface before you can escape, the weight of the engine will force the front end down first. This usually creates an air pocket in the back of the vehicle. Find this pocket and get into it quickly. Breathe in deeply. When the vehicle has settled, you should be able to escape through a window.

Don't want to scare you all, but it's best to have an idea of what to do in these situations otherwise you could end up killing yourself or others.

ReputationRep:
    Gosh, that's awful to hear.

(Original post by bestdeceptions)
    If your car goes deep underwater but does not sink immediately, try to escape through a window. Do not try to open the door, as this will only let water in. If the vehicle sinks beneath the surface before you can escape, the weight of the engine will force the front end down first. This usually creates an air pocket in the back of the vehicle. Find this pocket and get into it quickly. Breathe in deeply. When the vehicle has settled, you should be able to escape through a window.
    I don't know if anyone saw Top Gear but they did a series of tests with this advice in mind. They came to the conclusion that you should try and escape as quickly as possible due to the variability of the probability of an air pocket being created.

(Original post by bestdeceptions)

Dealing with a stuck gas pedal.
    If your accelerator sticks, you may be able to free it by hooking your foot under the pedal and trying to raise it. If this doesn't work, you can shift into neutral or turn the engine off and slow the vehicle down. However, if you have power brakes and/or power steering, they will lose power when you turn off the engine. Keep your eyes on the road and continue steering the vehicle straight ahead until you can safely pull your car over to the side of the road.
    note: if its stuck and you cant release it, DO NOT leave the engine running whilst in neutral. switch it off. or itll rev really fast (depending on how far stuck the accelerator is) and can blow a cylinder head or worse

ReputationRep:
    As i work in the business i must say the advice is bang on

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Anyone feel free to add any more you know or correct the ones that I've said already if they are wrong.

(Original post by onaed)
    As i work in the business i must say the advice is bang on
    yea. good advice for some people who dont know what to do

another 1. if you enter think fog, slow down, but DO NOT slow down too fast otherwise the car behind might hit you. if you dont slow down, you might hit the car infront

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MorbidAngel)
    note: DO NOT leave the engine running whilst in neutral. switch it off. or itll rev really fast (depending on how far stuck the accelerator is) and can blow a cylinder head or worse
    Blown cylinder head is better than death

(Original post by The Colonel)
    Blown cylinder head is better than death
    your gonna switch the engine off anyway. best thing to do it leave it in gear and switch engine off. try going down the gears aswell

ReputationRep:
    Thats really helpful - thanks very much and I am very sorry about your friend's sister.
    i didn't know many of those things, so you've been very helpful.

ReputationRep:
    I heard about the thing on top gear as well. They tried it out to see if the advice was right when you go into water, if they hadnt had the diver in the back he would have drowned, so they decided the best plan is to get out as soon as possible.

Other than that i would say its all good advice.

Really sorry to hear about your friends sister.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really sorry to hear about that - much much sympathy.

I think the main advice to everyone is to be more aware of everything around you when driving. Don't drive over the speed limit, don't drink and drive, drive carefully and sensibly and with caution.

Obviously some things are unavoidable and I think the original poster deserves a lot of rep for this post.

ReputationRep:
    yea. good advice for some people who dont know what to do

another 1. if you enter think fog, slow down, but DO NOT slow down too fast otherwise the car behind might hit you. if you dont slow down, you might hit the car infront
    and don't keep driving along a motorway at full speed in fog. like there was that accident on the A1 I think it was, a few years ago where one car crashed in the fog and everyone else was going at full speed, couldn't see the crash, and it ended up being 150 odd cars involved in the crash, which mostly burnt out and people got killed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestdeception)
    Just to add to this....the doors will not open until the inside of the car has filled with water and the pressure has equalised. Take a deep breath and open (or break) the window to let water in fast. Once the car has filled with water, you will be able to open the door.

ReputationRep:
    note: if its stuck and you cant release it, DO NOT leave the engine running whilst in neutral. switch it off. or itll rev really fast (depending on how far stuck the accelerator is) and can blow a cylinder head or worse
    Modern cars have a rev limiter to prevent that sort of thing happening. During an MOT, they hammer the car for 5 mins? or summat while they do the emissions test. If your car can't handle being thraped at full whack for a minute, its not roadworthy.

ReputationRep:
    your gonna switch the engine off anyway. best thing to do it leave it in gear and switch engine off. try going down the gears aswell
    However like it was already said, you'd lose all power to the brakes and the steering if such systems were fitted to the car (like mine) personally I'd prefer to be able to steer and stop rather than the engine taking a bit of a beating.

ReputationRep:
    Thats some great advice.. I didnt know half of that but if it ever happens It will be eternally useful.

Really sorry to hear about your friends sister, It great your passing on advice to help others.. Definately Rep worthy.

ReputationRep:
    great thread! good advice :top:

(Original post by Mad Vlad)
    However like it was already said, you'd lose all power to the brakes and the steering if such systems were fitted to the car (like mine) personally I'd prefer to be able to steer and stop rather than the engine taking a bit of a beating.
    then leave it in gear

or better still. stop bein lazy and press the brake a bit harder. as in do what you'd do if you didnt have power assisted steering and brakes. or what youd have done if the engine packed in whilst moving

ReputationRep:
    then leave it in gear
    Leaving it in gear isnt going to help me steer round a corner is it?

(Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Leaving it in gear isnt going to help me steer round a corner is it?
    yes. the engine will still be running and working the steering

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.