Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MorbidAngel)
    then leave it in gear

or better still. stop bein lazy and press the brake a bit harder. as in do what you'd do if you didnt have power assisted steering and brakes. or what youd have done if the engine packed in whilst moving
    :rolleyes: If you depress the brake pedal when the engine is off it does nothing! The piston just doesn't move! Believe me ive tried it!
    As with the power steering, its nearly impossible to stear with the engine not running as you have to force not only the rack to turn but the entire hydraulic power steering system too. It just doesnt work! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    how about other threads about safety when walking down the road or cycling??

(Original post by Mad Vlad)
    :rolleyes: If you depress the brake pedal when the engine is off it does nothing! The piston just doesn't move! Believe me ive tried it!
    As with the power steering, its nearly impossible to stear with the engine not running as you have to force not only the rack to turn but the entire hydraulic power steering system too. It just doesnt work! :rolleyes:
    the brake has to work wether the engine is running or not. it might be easier to use when the engine is runnin but what happens if there is a problem and the engine isnt running. bit dangerous if the brake doesnt work. fair enough, the steering is a bit harder, but if you cant turn in an emergency without the PAS then you shouldnt be driving. youve got to be able to handle every situation

ReputationRep:
    yes. the engine will still be running and working the steering
    Sorry... I thought you'd suggested that the engine should be turned off...
    We were talking about the eventuality of the accelerator being stuck on...

Sorry... I thought you'd suggested that the engine should be turned off...
    We were talking about the eventuality of the accelerator being stuck on...
    if it does get stuck then either put it in neutral and switch off (best do this once you almost stopped. 10MPH or less). otherwise leave it in gear and running to stop it over-revving and doin damage and to keep brakes and PAS workin

ReputationRep:
    the brake has to work wether the engine is running or not. it might be easier to use when the engine is runnin but what happens if there is a problem and the engine isnt running. bit dangerous if the brake doesnt work. fair enough, the steering is a bit harder, but if you cant turn in an emergency without the PAS then you shouldnt be driving. youve got to be able to handle every situation
    Would you like to try my car? Its hardly a wreck - its a Y reg Fiesta.

ReputationRep:
    if it does get stuck then either put it in neutral and switch off (best do this once you almost stopped. 10MPH or less). otherwise leave it in gear and running to stop it over-revving and doin damage and to keep brakes and PAS workin
    That would be what I would do...
    Stick it in neutral and slow the car down, promptly but safely and then turning the engine off as soon as the car was stopped.

ReputationRep:
    Would you like to try my car? Its hardly a wreck - its a Y reg Fiesta.
    Your car is not roadworthy if the brakes are not working without the engine on! They will be less effective cause the hydraulics aren't powered ( I think) but they MUST work.

Even a weed like me can make the brakes on my small 4wd work when the engine's off!

ReputationRep:
    This was a very infromative thread thankyou for creating it, I wish they'd taught me that kind of stuff when I was learning to drive!
    Hearing about your friends sister is sad , it seems like a really unlikely accident and its shame that it happened, I extend my sympathies to her family and yourself

Without wishing to make myself sound ignorant, I really have never thought ahead about what I would do in the situations above (except the gas pedal being stuck down, that happened to a friend of mine a few years ago). It was a very interesting read, sometimes I drive a bit kinda irresponsibly and I guess since I have never crashed in the year I've had my car (had a few near misses though) I've got kinda complacent as a driver which really isn't a good thing. I'm grateful to people like yourself who can remind me about the dangers of driving without me having to experience it first hand myself

With regards to the whole area about losing breaks and steering when your car is turned off, I guess older cars are safer. I've got a 1994 peugeot 106, no power steering, no abs, no automatic windows, which may all seem like a bit of a nuisance when I'm driving, but on the plus side it means I have full control (except for engine braking) when my engine is turned off, and should I ever crash into water, I won't have to rely on a dodgy electric mechanism

P.S. Something that really scared me about driving was a couple of weeks ago I read this news article about some guys who were driving, crashed their car and it landed overturned in a drainage ditch containing water, they were trapped inside and all subsequently drowned. Is there any way to get out of such a situation? Seems ike such a scary position to be in

ReputationRep:
    Peace and love.

(Original post by theisticandy)
    P.S. Something that really scared me about driving was a couple of weeks ago I read this news article about some guys who were driving, crashed their car and it landed overturned in a drainage ditch containing water, they were trapped inside and all subsequently drowned. Is there any way to get out of such a situation? Seems ike such a scary position to be in

break the window. however, youll need to hit it pretty hard to break it and if the car is filling with water, the resistance will make it harder to break. just remember 1 thing: dont try and escape thru the windscreen! its designed to keep you in and shatter, but not break!

good idea to keep something hard to be able to get out with. maybe hammer seat belts could also cause a problem

as for drivin, i know what to do in most situation. only thing is some people tend to hit the brakes too soon if something does happen. i.e blowout.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -mb-)
    Your car is not roadworthy if the brakes are not working without the engine on! They will be less effective cause the hydraulics aren't powered ( I think) but they MUST work.

Even a weed like me can make the brakes on my small 4wd work when the engine's off!
    The brakes will work with the engine off, but you'll have to push the pedal damn hard - the brake servos won't operate with the engine off, so that's why the pedal is stiffer.

ReputationRep:
    OK, few things to reply to and clear up here........

With the engine switched off, the servo that runs ABS doesn't work, however, the brakes DO work, but will act as though you have very heavy brakes. Also, power steering will not work, and steering will be incredibly heavy. With regard to switching the engine off, do not do it. You will have no idea what the car will be like as you wouldn't have done it before, so select neutral (as mentioned, sod the high revs) and turn the engine off when you get to about 20mph

In some ways, I am lucky, in others not. I passed my test about 15months ago. 36 hours after my test, I was being cockey down some contry lanes, left the road, into a ditch and wrote it off. There was someone with me, but we were ok.

It took me a year to save up for that car, and 4 months for my next one. It still upsets me that the person that was with me (understandably) doesnt really talk to me anymore. I sometimes have nightmares about what could have happened.

I am a cockey driver, my second car blew a head gasket coz I drove too fast. But now I have calmed down a lot, being on my 3rd car in a year.

What I would recommmend to those drivers (cockey nad not cockey) is not to do pass plus, but do an advanced driver training ourse. In Norfolk, we do skid lessons and stuff like that. Also, to those who like to drive fast, although its expensive, go on a red letter day or something. I went to rockingham and raced a BMW M3, which was awesome, but made me realise how crp by car would be if something did go wrong at high speed.

Finally, something missed off. If you go round a corner and start skidding, do not lift your foot off the accelerator, or dump the cluth, brake or anything. Hold the skid and if you start going sideways, opposite lock to get grip and put you back on the straight.

Oh, and don't try and show off. You'll be surprised how many people aren't impressed by stupid drivers.

Thats all. Sorry for the long thread. Just thought my experience might be able to help.As with everyone, Im sure, my condolences (sp?) go to your freinds family

(Original post by dunkymunky)

With the engine switched off, the servo that runs ABS doesn't work, however, the brakes DO work, but will act as though you have very heavy brakes. Also, power steering will not work, and steering will be incredibly heavy. With regard to switching the engine off, do not do it. You will have no idea what the car will be like as you wouldn't have done it before, so select neutral (as mentioned, sod the high revs) and turn the engine off when you get to about 20mph
    leave it in gear until your almost stopped

ReputationRep:
    leave it in gear until your almost stopped
    Then the engine is still powering the transmission - causing you to go faster! If put the clutch in you might as well have it in neutral.

ReputationRep:
    Dealing with brake failure
    Firstly, keep your car serviced and this should never happen. However, if it does happen, the best thing to do is to apply the handbrake in an on/off motion. Also try to go down to a low gear to slow the car down.
    Somebody may have already covered this, but the above method is kind of wrong. You shouldn't apply the handbrake while the car is in motion. The best way is to use engine braking by working your way down the gears.

(Original post by identikit)
    Somebody may have already covered this, but the above method is kind of wrong. You shouldn't apply the handbrake while the car is in motion. The best way is to use engine braking by working your way down the gears.
    ****ing the handbrake is better than crashin

ReputationRep:
    A few years ago our family car completely lost power on the motorway. The engine literally shut off and there was no response from the accelerator. At high speeds this is obviously a problem and you need to very carefully manouver yourself into the hand shoulder paying attention to the traffic behind you.

When on a motorway I think the best advice is to remember that because you are driving more quickly, you need to be really focused on yourself, your car, and everything around you.

(Original post by Sophdoph)
    A few years ago our family car completely lost power on the motorway. The engine literally shut off and there was no response from the accelerator. At high speeds this is obviously a problem and you need to very carefully manouver yourself into the hand shoulder paying attention to the traffic behind you.

When on a motorway I think the best advice is to remember that because you are driving more quickly, you need to be really focused on yourself, your car, and everything around you.
    ive had something similar. drivin down a dual carriageway at 70 coming upto a bend and something broke/sounded really bad. no hard shoulder and stopping on a bend... not the best idea

turns out the wheel arch on the driver side had came off so i drove 1/4 mile to the next slip road to fix it

ReputationRep:
    do not use the handbrake in any motion while moving at any speed, if not careful, you will fishtail the car, spin it, crash and then who knows what

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.