Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Breifly before i left school our teacher was doing abit about black english etc. do we really need to know this 4 the exam or can we get away will caxton and gvs etc etc???
    ps any1 got clever teachers that have some pretty good guesses about whats going 2 come up??!!

ReputationRep:
    I think you just need to know a little about all the different varieties of English that there are, and how they've come about – for example, Black American English is thought to come out of the pidgin that had to be created when Africans were taken as slaves and had to communicate with their owners, which eventually became a creole and so on. Now it is often used as a way of reinforcing personal/political/social/cultural identity. Common sense stuff, really.

I think in a lot of creoles words that were originally nautical are converted to have different meanings, like kitchens are called galleys and so on, so if you were presented with a piece of this kind, you would comment on that sort of stuff, the lexis, the grammar etc. But I think it's quite unlikely, although you never know...

(I was writing this as an AQA B-er, so if you're AQA A, maybe it's not very useful, but it's probably more or less the same for both.)

ReputationRep:
    yea, true! i am doin AQA B by the way! does any1 have any sample papers or texts on language change? i cant find any on the net at all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helen :))
    yea, true! i am doin AQA B by the way! does any1 have any sample papers or texts on language change? i cant find any on the net at all!
    Go to: www.aqa.org.uk then click "qualifications", which is in the menu. Then select GCE A2/AS, then English Language B. This should take you to a page full of specifications, past papers, mark schemes and advice .

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 25, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.