Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

What's the fastest cake in the world? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Scone :yes: (the first way)

ReputationRep:
    Scoooooooooone.

And mug cake takes the least time to make. I lived off it last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cupcakee)
    How does this make it a fast cake? I don't understand the joke...
    I THINK it's like 'sgone ... as in it's no longer there because it's so fast... I don't know :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    66% of the British population are also in the bottom two-thirds in terms of intelligence. Coincidence? I think not...
    Nice tautology. I like it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taperjeangirl!)
    What about gone? None? Shone?
    SKON :yep:
    Be quiet.

ReputationRep:
    Skoan

ReputationRep:
    "The pronunciation of the word across the United Kingdom varies. According to one academic study, two-thirds of the British population pronounce it /ˈskon/, rhyming with "con" and "John", with the preference rising to 99% in the Scottish population.
    Yeah, damn tattie scons.

Makes me feel all alone with my scooone.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Finbar21)
    it has a magic "e" at the end which means you have to pronounce the vowel in the word as its name.
    I.e Scone = Sc-oh-ne
    following this rule you should pronounce gone g-oh-ne
    which would make you sound a bit silly tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Errgh, rhyming with cone? Is this some kind of sick joke?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    **** off; it rhymes with "bone"
    s-cone is for posh people bbz.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oo_Lucinda_oo)
    There there :console:
    whatt?
    I think you meant to quote the person above/ below me :p:
    haha
    what I meant was I didn't get the joke/ whatever the title was supposed to mean

What about gone? None? Shone?
    SKON
    you pronounce gone, none and shone in the same manner?
    as in rhyming with each other?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jco1)
    following this rule you should pronounce gone g-oh-ne
    which would make you sound a bit silly tbh.
    hey! This is what my primary school teacher told us when we were learning to read so don't get annoyed at me :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stardust123)
    you pronounce gone, none and shone in the same manner?
    as in rhyming with each other?
    I believe the point here is that gone, none and shone are not pronounced in the same way as cone, despite having a 'magic e'.

Personally, I pronounced it rhyming with don; but my opinion is that either pronunciation is acceptable.

Either way, just because the majority of a population pronounce something a certain way doesn't make it correct, necessarily. Most of the population, for example, pronounce zoology 'zoo-ology,' which is of course incorrect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jace Falco)
    I believe the point here is that gone, none and shone are not pronounced in the same way as cone, despite having a 'magic e'.

Got it! :yep:

Personally, I pronounced it rhyming with don; but my opinion is that either pronunciation is acceptable.

Either way, just because the majority of a population pronounce something a certain way doesn't make it correct, necessarily. Most of the population, for example, pronounce zoology 'zoo-ology,' which is of course incorrect.
    what's the correct way then? :confused:
    Response & Question in bold!

ReputationRep:
    whatt?
    I think you meant to quote the person above/ below me :p:
    haha
    what I meant was I didn't get the joke/ whatever the title was supposed to mean
    No no I was talking to you, I was being patronising because you didn't get the joke XD

ReputationRep:
    Response & Question in bold!
    The correct way to pronounce zoology is 'zoh-ology'. The misconception arose because people began to call zoological gardens 'zoos'. Obviously, this is pronounced 'zoo' not 'zoh-oh'. Subsequently, because people learn the word 'zoo' before they learn the word 'zoology', they began to apply the pronunciation of 'zoo' to 'zoology'.

Thus providing we grammar snobs with an even greater profusion of people to correct while sighing and rolling our eyes.

are you on drugs

Skon innit :pimp:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jace Falco)
    Shone is a homonym of 'shown'. It rhymes with cone. You Brits just pronounce it wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinsula)
    Scone!

66% of the British population pronounce "scone" to rhyme with "John" (ie: the right way). You wouldn't argue with democracy, now would you?

Show your support by joining the facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/gr...0230439&ref=nf

Good day.
    when i read the title I initially thought this was part of some sort of Olympics for cakes, where cakes are put on trollies and pushed down a hill

how I was disappointed =[[

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.