Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

What's the fastest cake in the world? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oo_Lucinda_oo)
    No no I was talking to you, I was being patronising because you didn't get the joke XD
    How nice! :rolleyes:
    Soo? what's the joke?? :p:

(Original post by Jace Falco)
    Got it

ReputationRep:
    Incidentally, I have some scones in the kitchen.

ReputationRep:
    I really love that cheetah cake :woo:

Anyway, it's clearly "scone" to rhyme with "John". How do you pronounce words like 'one', 'done', 'cone' and 'gone' then? Exactly!

It comes from the Nordic "skŏnn" (still seen in the modern Swedish word Skönna, which is a similar-looking pastry), which is pronounced to rhyme with "John".

ReputationRep:
    Do you say ice cream con?
    No.
    CONE
    Then its scone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gesiwuj)
    I really love that cheetah cake :woo:

Anyway, it's clearly "scone" to rhyme with "John". How do you pronounce words like 'one', 'done', 'cone' and 'gone' then? Exactly!

It comes from the Nordic "skŏnn" (still seen in the modern Swedish word Skönna, which is a similar-looking pastry), which is pronounced to rhyme with "John".
    Are you some kind of moron?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry if I offended. I' spent six years of my life living in Malmö, Sweden, so perhaps it makes me speak atypically, but I think most of my friends would also say "cone" to rhyme with "scone".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a.posteriori)
    Shone is a homonym of 'shown'. It rhymes with cone. You Brits just pronounce it wrong.
    I have never, ever heard shone pronounced the same as shown, whether by Britons or Americans.

For anything like this, there is a baker's dozen different stories as to the origins of the word. A cursory reading of Wikipedia reveals potential links to Dutch, as well as Gaelic. It is nigh impossible to trace the etymology of such a word accurately.

ReputationRep:
    skon ftw
    I think it's funny when people pronounce it so that it rhymes with "bone", it just sounds too posh for me...

ReputationRep:
    The funny thing is, I'm actually really posh, but I still pronounce it 'scon'.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry if I offended. I' spent six years of my life living in Malmö, Sweden, so perhaps it makes me speak atypically, but I think most of my friends would also say "cone" to rhyme with "scone".
    Well your friends are just as much idiots as you are

ReputationRep:
    Me and my friends aren't idiots. In fact, we all go to private schools.

ReputationRep:
    Phone, bone, alone, tone, hone, throne, cone, lone, drone, ketone, prone...
    Gone, one, none.
    I rest my case

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mariarrrrr.)
    Do you say ice cream con?
    No.
    CONE
    Then its scone.
    Exactly!
    Its the word 'cone' just with an 's' at the front so why would you say it any differently? It sounds weird if you just say it like 'skon'.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.