Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ummm the essay was good!
    Didn't love the questions though.
    How did we all find it?

ReputationRep:
    The essay was awesome! I forgot to mention microvilli in my answer to the absorption (damn it!!) but the rest of it went very well!

The questions were a tad... obscure if you ask me. That bioluminessence one, little strange, and I don't even remember question one, but i wasn't exactly fond of that either. Overall, fairly good I think

Good luck everyone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Synkronized)
    The essay was awesome! I forgot to mention microvilli in my answer to the absorption (damn it!!) but the rest of it went very well!

The questions were a tad... obscure if you ask me. That bioluminessence one, little strange, and I don't even remember question one, but i wasn't exactly fond of that either. Overall, fairly good I think

Good luck everyone!
    Yep the bioluminessence (wow thats a long word) was strange. I think I didn't do that very well.
    Question one was on yeast - budding, and the question on their mutation and its effect on the electron transport chain.

ReputationRep:
    i know it was the best essay title i could have hoped for, i've never written 4 pages on anything in my life but i managed it today quite easily!!!

Did anyone do that the plant minerals essay btw?

ReputationRep:
    Bleurgh essays!
    Ah well, maybe I scraped 6 for the essay
    I quite liked the questions, thought they may have put something about inhibiting enzymes on the bioluminescence question?
    Why is forming baby fungi by budding off an advantage? (question 1) what did you all put?
    Also, why you put all the bacteria on the same bit of filter paper?

ReputationRep:
    It was ok, I actually didnt talk too much about the intestines and talked about the kidneys and reabsorption of glucose there. Hmm. Anyways Essay was so so the question before were kinda bad

That bioluminescent thing and immbolising them was strange, I wrote how you could see the light! lol very unscientific and also how you could potentially re use the bacteria.....altho I think thats just stupid but I didnt know what else to put

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kohlstream)
    Why is forming baby fungi by budding off an advantage? (question 1) what did you all put?
    Also, why you put all the bacteria on the same bit of filter paper?
    I put so they can increase in number fast and without having to find a mate. Sort of guessed it though.
    The filter paper question was really confusing though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poh87)
    It was ok, I actuallt didnt talk too much about the intestines and talked about the kidneys and reabsorption of glucose there. Hmm. Anyways Essay was so so the question before were kinda bad
    the kidneys? hmm, you may get some marks for reabsorption of glucose, I hadn't thought of that...

I talked alot about mastication, peristalsis, the stomach, salivery enzymes, structure of the gut wall (to allow churning of food), potentially made up a bit about glucose being absorbed through a concentration gradient (as glucose is taken away very fast by the blood?).. missed out microvilli, damn it

Then all about alpha and beta cells producing insulin and so on in the islet of langerhans in the pancreas... how insulin does it job by making cell membranes more permeable... then glucogenesis, gluconeogenesis, and the dangers of hyper and hypoglycaemia... which is why the body has to control it.

That question one, I made up some silly answers for the cloning/budding question. I said they could reproduce very quickly, and then said no competition from individuals with better traits as they're all essentially the same. bad answer that. lol

Hope you all did well

ReputationRep:
    yay, I put they didn't have to rely on someone else to fertilise them (!), they could form a large colony in their immediate area, and it was a qick way of reproducing

I am SO glad that biology is done with.

Only chemistry left

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, I mentioned ruminant digestion in the essay. Was it just meant to be in humans? Because I tried to get something from every unit (couldn't think of anything from 5 though).

ReputationRep:
    I got in a pickle with trying to describe the strucure of carbs

I drew an EXCELENT diagram of glycogen that looked like a spider web(!)

ReputationRep:
    good point, I stared at the question and thought do i mention ruminants??? SO i didn't. Proably a stupid decision

ReputationRep:
    I actually didn't draw one diagram! ooops

ReputationRep:
    I didn't draw any diagrams, and forgot about ruminant digestion... damn again!
    hopefully I got enough points anyway!!

And it didn't specify really... maybe they've got a mark scheme for more then two modules?

Just chemistry left, today I had history and biology, finished them both forever! Its a strange feeling to be honest...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revenged)
    i know it was the best essay title i could have hoped for, i've never written 4 pages on anything in my life but i managed it today quite easily!!!

Did anyone do that the plant minerals essay btw?
    YEP! i did the plant part ....talked about the xlem and phloem. apoplast , symplast pathways .sink and source thing....and o about mg, p, nitrogen or nitrate?....cool though :cool:

ReputationRep:
    yeah, i thought about writing about that question but then i thought that the 1st one is much easier

ReputationRep:
    yeah, i thought about writing about that question but then i thought that the 1st one is much easier
    I started writing the plant one then crossed it out and decided on carbs!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Synkronized)

Just chemistry left, today I had history and biology, finished them both forever! Its a strange feeling to be honest...
    It's a nice feeling. I had the same feeling last year until results day, when I realised that it wasn't the last time I'd ever have to sit another edexcel biology paper. Let's hope this time that Biology will be gone forever!

ReputationRep:
    the question about the advantages of asexual reproduction has been asked on a unit 1 paper aeons ago; the mark scheme stated;

-preservation of favourable characteristics as genetically identical offspring

-rapid reproduction under favourable conditions

-no need to seek out a mate (!!!

ReputationRep:
    for the blooming thing i just put it increases the number of gametes at an exponential rate so they can reproduce faster??
    also why were the bacteria immodilised, to stop them multiplying?

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 28, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.