Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Damn i've missed out a lot of stuff

I did the carbohydrate one knowing that i didn't know it well enough but i knew the insulin/glucagon bit REALLY well and in loads of detail

Wheras the plant one i couldn't have put much detail

I liked the questions - immobilise bacteria so that the luminescence is all from one place and it's bright enough to see

ReputationRep:
    also why were the bacteria immodilised, to stop them multiplying?
    Damn that's a more sensible answer than what I put

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neutron)
    the question about the advantages of asexual reproduction has been asked on a unit 1 paper aeons ago; the mark scheme stated;

-preservation of favourable characteristics as genetically identical offspring

-rapid reproduction under favourable conditions

-no need to seek out a mate (!!!
    Was it asexual reproduction of the whole yeast though, or replication of the gamete?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)

I liked the questions - immobilise bacteria so that the luminescence is all from one place and it's bright enough to see
    omg yes! I put something like that!

ReputationRep:
    what detects glucose levels in the blood?

ReputationRep:
    blood glucose levels in the blood are detected by islets cells in the pancreas; no nervous coordination is involved in the pancreatic response

ReputationRep:
    I quite liked it
    I did the carbs essay, and wrote about mastication, digestion and all the enzymes, how it was absorbed using the sodium cotransport system, the need for controling bloody sugar (hyper and hypo glycaemia), detection of bloody sugar level changes by the pancreas, the role of glucose, insulin and adrenalin in controlling it, oh and also that they were hormones and talked a bit about how they would bind with receptors on cell surface membranes and stimulate adenyl cyclase to make cAMP.

I didn't mention anything about ruminants though =/ BIG WHOOPS! Oh well, it was already 4 pages and I wouldn't have had any more time anyway!

I thought the questions were ok, bit dodgy here and there but there were quite a lot of marks you could pick up just from interpreting data and stuff, so that was quite good!

For the budding yeast one, I just said that it was a clone and because the parent plant was able to survive successfully in that environment, it was likely that the offspirng would be able to too. And for the filter paper thing, I just said it was so the bacteria could easily be removed from the solution of metal ions, and be reused! Lol! What a lot of rubbish

ReputationRep:
    Did ne 1 actually do the plant essay because every1 at my school did the carbohydrate one as that had soo much to write about and was soo easy.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, whilst the cAMP mechanism is extremely common for hormones, insulin does not exert its effects in this way!

The insulin receptor (IR) is a tyrosine kinase receptor and induces a cellular response by phosphorylating proteins on their tyrosine residues
    not by generating camp

ReputationRep:
    Actually, whilst the cAMP mechanism is extremely common for hormones, insulin does not exert its effects in this way!

The insulin receptor (IR) is a tyrosine kinase receptor and induces a cellular response by phosphorylating proteins on their tyrosine residues
    not by generating camp
    I said glucagon did the whole cAMP thing, does it not? :s:

ReputationRep:
    so what do you guys think the grade boudaries will be like? it looks like most people found it pretty easy so they might be quite high. Does anyone know what they were like last year?

ReputationRep:
    yep glucagon does operate via camp

ReputationRep:
    damn it, i thought the immobilisation was to do with enzymes, as metabolic reactions require enzymes (i thought it said metabolic reactions cause it to release light) and i thought immobilation was an enzyme property

ReputationRep:
    yep glucagon does operate via camp
    Phew

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K2theJ)
    so what do you guys think the grade boudaries will be like? it looks like most people found it pretty easy so they might be quite high. Does anyone know what they were like last year?
    the actual questions i thought were quite hard, though the essay was certainly easy

ReputationRep:
    where does respiration take plalce is it the stalked particles of the cristae

ReputationRep:
    so was it not only to do with humans????? the carbs question
    it was a great question - but now thinking about it theres a lot more i could have put !
    and why would you talk about the kidneys ? they dont really regulate glucose cos it absorbs it all so it stays the same??? ?? ? ?? :|:|:|

what bout the question bout doing the experiment with the river?? i got so confused and then ran out of time b4 i cud think of writing anything half decent (wrote the essay first)!

ReputationRep:
    in the second part to the first question, was it the haploid cells which were dividing (budding)?

ReputationRep:
    i always thought essays had to be linked and flow, so digestion and absorption of glucose is linked to controlling glucose levels. Im not sure about ruminants though it is quite a big part

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hjmorgstew)
    in the second part to the first question, was it the haploid cells which were dividing (budding)?
    diploid cells

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 28, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.